Rare 60's-70's Psychedelia Anyone?

Discussion in 'Psychedelic and Garage' started by pyroloser, Sep 24, 2005.

1. pyroloser

pyroloser Member

Is there anyone here who can suggest good, rare psych. albums from the late 60's/early 70's? I'll name a few so anyone knowledgable about the subject won't name something I've already found: The Way by Bobby Callender (which is absolutely amazing); Felt by Felt; Gandalf by Gandalf; Flash by Moving Sidewalks; Love Cycle by Forever Amber; Tomorrow by Tomorrow; Crystallization by Cosmic Dealer; AfterGlow by Afterglow; The Headshop by The Headshop. Anymore would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and BTW, anyone interested in anything on my list should check out Pirate's Bay. It's a bittorrent tracker based in Sweden, where copyright laws are fairly loose, ie: no legal pressure can be put on them to expose their users info. Most of the music listed was aquired through them and should still be available. Anyone with a little time who knows how to work bittorrent or is willing to take 10 minutes to figure it out should definately check out The Way. I'll be seeding it for the next few days so grab it while you can.

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

It's A Beautiful Day by the band of the same name..

I don't really consider anything rare anymore, after posting in this forum as much as I have. There's always at least one other person who has heard everything that you have.

3. pyroloser

pyroloser Member

I meant rare as in most of those albums only had 99 copies pressed when they were released, not rare as in unknown. and thanks for the suggestion.

4. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

ooohhhh... how would someone find out how many copies were pressed?

99 copies would make a pretty fucking rare album. :p

5. pyroloser

pyroloser Member

Just research the album, most times you can find it. Plus in the US in that time, 99 was the maximum amount you could have pressed before you had to pay some type of tax (I don't know the specific tax name or rate.) Most independent bands elected to go that route with their releases and the ones who got bigger tended to do a repress of the album. Bigger artist sometimes put out a privately released album for their friends, and most of those numbered 99, again, to avoid the tax.

Oh boy, do I love to show off the fact that I can remember the most random shit...

6. Skelter

Skelter Helter

Have you heard these albums:

Music Emporium - Music Emporium (300 copies were pressed of this album :))
    Arzachel - Arzachel
    The Aerovons - Resurrection
    The Open Mind - The Open Mind
    Plastic Cloud - Plastic Cloud
    Lazy Smoke - Corridor of Faces
    Beat of the Earth - Beat of the Earth
    C.A Quintet - Trip Thru Hell

7. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

my two favourite private press albums are

Relatively Clean Rivers - S/T (main guy from Beat of The Earth that Skelter mentioned)

Cold Sun - Dark Shadows (recorded in '69 by an associate of Roky Erikson and later a member of Roky and the Aliens, didn't get a release till '89 or something, if psychedelia in music was a measurable quantity this baby would be way off scale)

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Those albums mentioned of Cold Sun and the Open Mind are great!

I don't know if it's considered rare, but since almost nobody knows these albums;

Five Day Rain - Five day rain (UK 1969)
    Flat Earth Society - Waleeco (1968)
    Astral Navigations - Astral navigations (1968 UK)
    Nosferatu - Nosferatu (1969, I'm not sure if you guys consider this psych though)
    Forever Amber - The love cycle (1969)
    Gagalactyca - Gagalactyca (1971)
    Milkwood Tapestry - Milkwood tapestry (1969)
    Horse - Horse (uk 1970)
    St. John Green - same title (1967)
    Ashes, the - The ashes (US 1966)
    Group 1850 - Agemo's trip to mother earth (1968) and Paradise now (1969 NL)
    Dream - Get dreamy (1968)
    Yuya Uchida & the Flowers - Challenge (1969, pre Flower travellin' band)
    Flying Karpets - Flying karpets (1968)

9. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

The most rare album I can think of in my collection would be Glass Harp's self-titled 1970 album. It's a really nice blend of psychedelia and progressive rock. Very nice album... too bad I only have it on scratched vinyl, and too bad I don't even have it with me.

myndtyme likes this.
  10. pyroloser

pyroloser Member

Thanks everybody. Now I have some more albums to find. If any of you could point me to online copies of the albums that would be even better. I would just buy some but my funds are limited to... well, nothing really.

And Asmodean, the only one of those I've heard of is Love Cycle, and that's a damn good album. You should check out Crystallization by Cosmic Dealer as they are a Dutch band.

11. Asmodean

I will. Hope to find it on Soulseek. :)

12. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

Uriah Heep - "The Magician's Birthday" (1972)

Psychadelic Prog Rock

13. Skelter

Skelter Helter

What's your name on soulseek?

14. Asmodean

asmodean. But since I haven't much space left on my hard disk (I really have to burn some mp3cd's again) and I don't have much time lately I'm not on soulseek frequently. But as you see me online you're welcome to search my files of course. :)

That's not rare.

15. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

You're right, it's not that rare but it's not out there.

16. Ranchero

Ranchero Member

Cosmic Sounds of the Zodiac an album recorded by 2 guys in 67 its a musical journey(trip?) through the zodiac with each sign getting its own music and poem to compliment the traits of each one. Truly far out

17. Skelter

Skelter Helter

It sounds cool, but when you listen to it it's not that great.

18. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

"Cosmic Sounds of the Zodiac"

there's some moments of sheer beauty on this album, but also some pretty cringe inducing dated bits too, (but that's not exactly uncommon when you're talking 60's psych albums) personally I find enough good stuff on the album to make the cheesieness of the rest worth the effort.
    check out The Unfolding - "How to blow your mind and have a freak-out party" if you dig The Zodiac Cosmic Sounds

19. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

WOOO! The Wicker Man!

My 3rd favorite film of all-time...

20. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

yay!
    it's up there for me too