Rappers can't talk.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cerridwen, Jan 14, 2005.

1. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

Peaceful jeffery,
    you obviously don't know the first thing about REAL hip-hop. Maybe if you did, you wouldn't come off as sounding like such a calloused, ignorant guy who makes his judgements based on what he saw on freakin LENO and MTV. It makes me sad that you can't see the fact that rappers' emotions and poetry are just as valid as yours or mine or anyone else's. Do you fear what you don't understand? Because I'm sure many of those guys have prevailed over way more shit than you could dream of. Not all rappers rao about guns and money and pussy -- in fact, many underground rappers are AGAINST rapping about that shit, and they don't want to sell out or send those types of messages. They flow about real life, emotions; if you would actually listen to any good hip hip with an unbiased opinion, you may realize that its a beautiful look into the psyche.. a look that you desperately NEED.

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

yep and that's what happens when people base their opinions on ignorance... aka- what they see on mtv. OF COURSE most of the shit on mtv is bullshit... im not even gonna say anything else.

3. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Well, what I'm judging is not the depth of their emotions, or the passion that they feel... it's the quality of how it is expressed.

Have you ever read a poem by a 10th grade girl? It's full of sappy, trite, cliched aphorisms... It usually doesn't rhyme well; its meter is all fucked up and it doesn't have the proper number of syllables in each line. The thing is, the girl writes it and reads it and doesn't see these faults in it. She thinks it's great. But if some poetry professor were to read it, he could give her chapter and verse about why it's not "good poetry." It's not a judgment of how much she felt what she was writing!

What can I say about the fact that even if the emotion and the meaning is good, I just don't like the DELIVERY of rap! That's my right. I think it's craptastic.

-Jeffrey

4. interval_illusion

you're right. that is your right and it's fine if you dont like rap. i dont like rap either... but i like some hip hop and i dont really think you should judge an entire diverse form of music based on programs like mtv.

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Should someone have also told Picasso, "Look Buddy, people don't really look like that....so your paintings are not art"?
    Poetry and music are not tangible "elements" like water or fire. They are what we make them.

If you don't like it, whoopie for you. So don't listen to it, but keep your mouth shut about it, because there is no right or wrong here. I love the way if Jeffrey doesn't like something it's "wrong". :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't listen to rap. Just so you know I am not biased here.

6. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

You are such a punk. I love how you change your story when somebody has a good point. LOL

7. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

!!!!! WHHHHATTTTT!!!!!!!!! YOU MAKE SOO SENCE! Mr. ignorance. I’m sorry man.... I don’t even watch TV, I haven’t for 6 years!!!!! so I have no clue who, or where you got these images and mislead opinions about hip-hop from but you should really stop letting the commercialized world get to your head.

8. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

I suggest he does us all a favor and stop letting the oxygen get to his head

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

in there lies the difference... at least Picasso used paint, therefore his paintings are actually paintings.

Rap isn't music. It's people talking over a beat that's used in EVERY song... Rap, therefore, isn't music, and the only people who think it is are the ones who listen to it.

10. interval_illusion

um, its NOT the same beat in every song. again, that's what you hear in the mainstream.... it is music- who are you to say what is or isnt music?

and i dont listen to rap... i listen to some hip hip (mostly positive hip hop) but i still know it's not the same beat over n over, etc.

stop watching mtv and hear some of the real music before you judge.

11. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

yeah, you're right. The opinion of millions of people is no match for YOUR opinion because God knows with all those Grammy awards, you ARE the foremost expert on music

12. TheChaosFactor

TheChaosFactor Senior Member

No I know plenty of people who don't like rap but will admit that like it or not it takes a certain talent that not everybody possesses. It's only not considered music by the people who don't like it AND have a closed mind.

13. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

two words...

the roots.

are they not music? or have i just been mislead this whole time...

and how come they're teaching a turntablism class at the berklee school of music? that clearly isn't a real instrument, so it can't be real music. :eek:

:rolleyes:

14. interval_illusion

the roots is something i usually mention in arguments like this... but trust me, people that are arguing that their in no talent in that genre, have NOT listened to the roots.