Rappers can't talk.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cerridwen, Jan 14, 2005.

1. paix

paix Senior Member

well obviously if you listen to crappy rap or hip hop, then that's what you're gonna hear. If you listen to good hip hop, underground stuff, like the artists that sister posted about, then you'll hear beautiful poetry with great beats and really concious messages.

There's shitty lyrics in every genre of music, you can't tell me that listening to country music like that one song "I've got a BBQ stain on my white t-shirt" is any better. You can't say "all rap and hip hop is bad because 50 cent is an idiot who raps about bitches and cars" because then you're sterotyping, and skipping over people like Michael Franti, who have a great message, and beautiful lyrics.

I hate main stream rap and hip hop, it's nonsense and it's materialistic, but don't say that underground is the same if you've never listened to it. That would be like me saying I hate all jam bands just because I don't like phish.

2. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

peaceful jeffrey tends to be a bit pig-headed and racist anyway, so I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously. ;)

I like a little bit of everything, except mainstream pop music and "new" country. This thread is a perfect example of how intolerant people can be. I mean, think of all the rock, alternative, or metal music with lyrics that are nearly impossible to understand. But you don't see anyone starting threads about them. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I see this thread as just another way to express some form of racism without being blatantly obvious about it. Or it's just incredibly ignorant, take your pick. :p

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

it's like everyone else. some i can understand, other's may as well be speaking greek. it's annoying when i can't understand what someone's saying, but i consider that my problem.

4. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

see, I knew you were my sister.

*tears up*

I love YOU!!!!!!!

5. mynameiskc

my husband's favorite rapper is shaggy, it's an upbeat, have to drive for 16 hours straight kinda deal. fun stuff. anyway, he's gotten really used to shaggy's accent, and he played "hope" for me, because it really chokes him up. it took me 3 goes before i could figure out what he was saying. then i got all choked up and called my mom. ;)

6. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

shaggy is like wannabe reggae, not even rap...

and if you're looking for some poetic-type hip hop, listen to common sense or mf doom... if you're looking for some of the most lyrically substantial hip hop out there, listen to j-live, mos def, or talib kweli.

and peacefuljeffrey, just stfu man... don't judge something you don't know anything about. don't come back and try to act like you know something about this either, i'd be willing to chew you up and spit you out on this topic anyday.

7. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

and to stay back on topic... most rappers can be understood, it just takes a little time to get used to it if you're not hip enough... :p i can see why some would be too square to understand the lingo, but it's not THAT hard people, come on.

8. mynameiskc

it's an accent, it's a slang. i think the purpose of both is to be exclusive. i've got redneck neighbors i STILL don't understand, but i'm getting better. it's a whole other culture, i think somehow oriented around jeff gordon and dale earnhardt. i think earnhardt is their messiah or something.

9. mynameiskc

oh, wait, does not understanding what some hay in the teeth rednecks next door are saying mean they can call me unhip? how bizarre!

10. missfontella

this thread has made me break out the Tupac collection

11. missfontella

hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahaah

12. mynameiskc

need a cleansing?

13. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Yeah, whatever, dude.

Yes, but just like an opera in a language that you don't understand, you can still find it beautiful and enjoyable to listen to.

But for me, that's not the case with rap. I listen to the crippled, hobbling "rhyme scheme" with words that are forced to "rhyme" with each other even though they don't, with 8 syllables in one line, then 12 in another (a no-no if you want to have a cohesive meter), and I get sickened by it.

I don't consider rap a legitimate, quality medium for musical expression. I think it's crap. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Robert Plant, in Led Zeppelin, is often heard singing lines you can't really understand. That doesn't diminish the art and amazing coolness of their songs.

Go ahead, join the pathetic bandwagon that desperately wants to see racism around every corner. Rap is tailor made for your purposes then, since it is so dominated by blacks. Kinda hard for me to criticize the lame-o "music" without you claiming that I'm just being racist... :rolleyes:

-Jeffrey

14. peacefuljeffrey

Dude, don't tell me to shut the fuck up if you want to go claiming you respect other people's opinions, or have your respected.

There is such hypocrisy going on here! It's amazing. Those who want to take the moral high ground often cede it by doing exactly what they condemn.

I never said I knew about rap, mm, so you'll have to wait on this fantasy about chewing me. What I do know is that whenever some rap group gets on Jay Leno or Conan O'Brien or even (*ugh*) Carson Daly (that talentless, charisma-challenged loser), they jump around like idiots and there is nothing redeeming about the performance, the lyrics, the "beat," the rhymes... nothing.

-Jeffrey

15. peacefuljeffrey

Oh, you mean the dead thug?

I miss him so baaaaad! :rolleyes:

I mean, what a loss to society he was!

-Jeffrey

16. TheChaosFactor

TheChaosFactor Senior Member

What is it with you and narrow minded prejudices? Anything that you don't understand is ignorant and rediculous to you, isn't it?

Tell ya what, I'd like to see you pull off as many syllables per second and minute as some of these rappers. I'm going in cold as far as knowledge in what you do, but I'd like to see you sit down and discuss business management with Dr. Dre or Ludacris. Both are very well educated in that aspect. Dre, having obviously taken Aftermath to the top of the industry, and Ludacris who gets a larger percentage of his sales and more ownership rights than 99% of the rappers out there. I'd like to see you step into an industry where "everything" sounds the same and make an original sound. Don't downplay the creativity and intelligence of another just because it's queer to your ear.

I expect them to be just as ignorant as you can be but just in a different way. Only difference is they've got multi millions to back up their attitude, and you've probably jsut got a 13" tv and some microwave dinners to go along with your internet arguments.

17. TheChaosFactor

No, the dead man, who actually had a caring, intelligent, and respectful outlook on life. Unlike the man judging him based on something he thinks he knows about.

18. peacefuljeffrey

Millions of dollars are no justification for an "attitude." Or do you feel that money is what makes a man, and gives him liberty to be as he pleases?

Dude, you talk big for someone who probably doesn't have any more than he's hypothesizing that I have...

The reason these guys have millions of dollars and businesses that thrive is because they have something that huge uneducated masses enjoy: crappy rap music, and attitudes that "bitches" exist to please them, and that the amount of jewelry and cars and shit that you own makes you a better person. I see they've set that particular hook in your throat, now...

So morons will plunk down $70 or more for a pair of jeans with some rapper's name on them. That proves what, exactly, besides how stupid label-chasing consumers can be? Or how greedy label-makers can be?

I don't care how many syllables per second they can spew when it all sounds like CRAP to me anyway. Is the number of syllables now the measure of the quality of the rap? You'll have to inform me, because I have endeavored to learn jack shit about the stuff.

-Jeffrey

19. peacefuljeffrey

Didn't he have a big tattoo on his abdomen that said "Thug Life"? What was that all about? Either he was a pathetic poseur, or he was actually acting the life of a thug: robbin' and stealin', etc. etc. Living like a degenerate human rat in the "gangsta" lifestyle.

Sounds like the salt of the earth, to me. :rolleyes:

-Jeffrey

20. TheChaosFactor

Which is why you have no room talking shit about it. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad, ignorant etc. So shut the fuck up, because you just admitted you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Which means one thing......

YOU'RE JUST TALKING SHIT