Rant: My coworkers are retarded confederate flag waving redneck racist misogynists.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by dotadave, May 19, 2004.

1. dotadave

dotadave Member

I got back home from college a couple weeks ago. I can't afford to go to school in the summer or live in Orlando while not going so I had to move back in with my parents and get a job. Having few other options I spent the first 3 weeks scouring Jacksonville for a non-food retail job. Eventually my dad hooked me up with a job with a surveying company. The job so far has been fairly easy, the pay is nice and at least I won't be dealing with the guilt of selling things made in sweatshops at the gap.

My dad took an atitude with me when he told me I had an interview this monday. He doesn't like my politics and I felt like he drove it in really hard that he thinks I'm lazy, gloating about me taking a manual labor job. I went to the survey place, first noticing that the guy who ran it had a fondness for hanging the severed heads of the animals he murdered for sport all over the walls. I didn't comment on it, I really needed the job. He seemed to like me and hired me on the spot. I was to show up for work the next morning at 7am. That was no big deal really. I'm a diligent worker.

It wasn't untill the next day, that I got to know the survey team I would be working with, one of whom, Josh, was on his two weeks notice and he was the one I was replacing. Josh is about my age and we got into a conversation about our hobbies. Both of us are gamers. We had fun discussing it and I mentioned that my memory cards had gotten stolen because my old roommates tended to invite a lot of shady people into our apartment.

"Bunch of niggers I bet" said Josh

I was kind of taken aback by this. Starting drama on the first day would get me into quite a bit of trouble. I just kind of nodded and smiled akwardly. I tried to say, that the people I used to live with, while wanna-be gangsters, were not even black, they were hispanic, two of them were half-jewish half-cuban.

"Same difference, its niggers that are taking over."

Today, I realized that what he said the day before was probably a test to see if I was one of his kind. Since I didn't object to what he said vocally, he pushed the envelope a little further. A white woman in a convertable with braided hair drove by and Josh said the he bet her boyfriend was black and said into the walkee talkee to my supervisor the same racist comment, he giggled but told him to watch it since the high school we were working next may have had radios on the same frequency and we could get into trouble. The fact that this was my immediate boss and he was wearing a confederate flag wasn't very reassuring.

In the truck we rode in going from bench mark to bench mark, the radio was set to a country music station that played songs ignorant lyrics that implied that hippies hate america and don't support the troops along with the usual "America can do no wrong, 9-11 NEVAR FORGET!!11" message. They had a newsbreak on there as well that brought up the prison abuse controversy and one of the guys had more ignorant things to say. "The iraqi prisoners should have thought about that when they rammed the plane into the wtc" or "They have no right to complain since Saddam was worse."

Add to all this the repeated misogynist comments they made objectifying every womyn they passed by. "Hurrr, she's got a nice ass." Although, I've gotten used to it considering, my old roommates did it all the time and went so far as to pressure womyn to drink so that they would consent to sex.

Otherwise the job isn't that bad but I wanted to get that off my chest. What would be the moral and practical thing to do in this situation? As far as I can tell they aren't acting on these beliefs but I have a serious moral objection to their prejudice. I'm afraid to say anything, especially considering my boss is in on it.

2. Orsino

Orsino Member

hahaha.... don't get me wrong, I have nothing against... well, yes I do. Free speech and I sure as hell will use it. I used to live on a farm owned by my family in the middle of a little country hickass farm area in this county. I still go to the school just down the road a couple miles from where I lived. But, today I got picked up, and there's a gas station just down the road where we pulled in to get gas. Anywho, we pulled in and there was, as usual, about 10 pickup trucks with CBs, dog boxes, deer antlers and what not strewn about them. After I filled the tank, I went in to pay.. and I just felt so out of place. Like a "holy shit" kind of a feeling. There were like.. the most inbred looking farmass guinea bubba shrimpboat farming banjo picker types I had ever seen. I mean... it was like a WTF... have I just stepped into another demension kind of feeling. I couldn't believe I lived a quarter mile down the street from here. Hahaha... I really felt strange. I still can't believe I lived over there. Talk about confederate flag flyers :p

3. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

:D lol as sad as it is, I think most people in the south are used to this. I am, at least. I see confederate flags EVERY day, usually on T-shirts but not always. They're racist/sexist/homophobic/etc.... Like the other day, some guy walked in and was looking for our teacher, and apparently was kinda hyper and he was fooling around and stuff and left the room talking to himself or something. :p I asked the guy behind me (only other person in the room at the time) who that was and he said "I dunno, some fucked-up ****** I guess". Not really surprised, but pissed off anyway, I called him a racist bastard. he's said many sexist things before too, and whenever you tell him he says "that doesn't bother me", yeah, hope it doesn't bother you when "some fucked-up ******" smashes your face. :D

off-track, but hillbilles aren't assholes (generally) like rednecks. People think there's not a difference! (um, I'm not a hillbilly, just to let ya know) They just like to till their farms, pluck their banjos and go to church every sunday. A lot of them aren't really racist/homophobic/sexist/etc.etc. and I think they get a bad rap. There. I said it. :eek:

4. Orsino

Orsino Member

actually... yeah... there is a difference between hillbillies and the rednecks. My family is full of hillbilly people... they all live in the appalachians and when I say hillbilly.. I mean hillbilly. They aren't racist or anything, they're just really simple mindad... but I like people like that.. lol. But around here, there's sort of a mixture... and I find in Virginia anyways, the further you go east, the worse it gets. Here, there's one section of town where all the commercial fishermen types live, and I heard that some dude who happened to be black broke down and was trying to get help, and these dudes pulled over and attacked him, tied him to the bumper of their truck, and dragged him. I think they shot him too. It's crazy sometimes.

5. ericf

ericf Member

I hate racist coworkers. You have no idea. I used to drive a tow truck (and I live in the south). That whole job was full of them. I made a big point about not putting up with it around me. Most guys got it -- one actually admitted that he wished he could have the balls to say it. He never joked but he didn't object. Everything was okay except this one guy wouldn't stop. The other guy who was hired the same time as me was hispanic... and this older fuck wouldn't stop with the racist comments.

He started getting real agressive towards me for standing up for this kid. Eventually asserting that both of us were lazy and never did anything. It got bad and the tow truck driving world is not a talk it out kind of place. Eventually it got pretty hairy... let's say I was weilding a tire iron (large iron bar to change 18-wheeler tires) and he was holding a crowbar... circling in the parking lot... one of us going to the hospital in the near future. Right before it got physical the boss flew out of the office and calmed us down... okay... he might have said something about shooting the first one of us who took a step towards the other. Did I mention that this field isn't big on talk?

We got alternate shifts from that day on. We saw each other a couple of times but only once got physical after that. He was trying to start a fight with the hispanic guy again and three of us took him down before someone got hurt. He was a real violent racist asshole. It is weird because that job attracts hippies (me and the guy who couldn't speak up) as well as rednecks. It also attracted a crack-head. That was one of the great learning experiences of my life.

I got a little credit for being intelligent but was considered weak and unreliable until one night. One of the other guys screwed up and tried to put a tire on backwards (unless you know, the explaination will take too long) which is almost physcially impossible. Most of the time the tire needs to be cut off the rim if that is done. Well, he left in frustration and I was sent out to calm this trucker until we got another guy out there. Well... I didn't know what I was doing was impossible so I beat that tire onto that rim. The other truck showed up 15 minutes later and I was raining sweat... but that tire was one hit from on... and I got it on. They never doubted me again after that. Physical ability is the only quality they valued. I forget where I was going with that part of the story... but I hate the types of guys the original poster is talking about. I know EXACTLY the people... I can almost picture them in my head.

6. thepixies

thepixies Member

how dare you talk about me behind my back, that's it you're fired

7. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

well as a black queen and going to a suburban school, i'm used to this, but i can't do anything about it now, cuz' no one helps me fight the terrorists

8. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

You shouldn't hate anybody. By hating racist, you're no better than they are.

9. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Yeah, i know how you feel, there are alot of black racists at my school, but only like half of all of them. There are alot of jamacians and rastas at my school, and they are cool, but the other kids go crazy sometimes...

10. dotadave

dotadave Member

Thank you Captain Relatavism.

11. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Hey man don't be harsh, I'm just trying to help you.

12. dotadave

dotadave Member

I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap at you.

13. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

well, i live in an area rife with racism....only part of maryland that succeded from the union. we have fairly active KKK here. im friends with a number of rednecks. theyre pretty racist, but aside from that, theyre pretty fun people that are alright. they mostly hate the gangsta style folk. we have a couple of black folk that arent gangsta styles and the rednecks have no problem with em. so all in all sure theyre racist, but that doesnt make em horrible people.

14. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

Maryland isn't the south! :p You don't count.

15. Orsino

Orsino Member

hmmm... what if you're a racist and your neck isn't red. I wonder if they would still call you a redneck.

16. below utopia

below utopia Baby did a bad thing

omg :D remember this :D when everyone thought about shit :H that was cool :D hi im half asleep

17. teh-horace

teh-horace for your pleasure

I'm going to apologize beforehand for not reading this thread all the way through, though I (as one would hope) did read the initial post. Last year, here at my school (my oh so wonderful perfect school *please catch sarcasm*) there was a HUGE ordeal about Confederate flags and whether people should be allowed to wear, have, or obtain any item/clothing with it on there. Now here's the situation, the students at my high school (the small school that it is) come from 4 middle schools. 3 of which come from areas that don't have any black students, and the last being a rough majority of blacks. Guestimatedly this makes the school about half black half white. And when I say half black, I kinda mean 3/4 black, 1/4 "I'm white but act and think black" (seriously, they really think they're black). As you can tell, this would cause a huge uproar. "oh you can't have that, it signifies racism." "no it doesn't, it's my heritage." That was the argument. Fact no. 2, our principal and vice principle no.1 are black, and the other vice principle at the time was from Boston and has a biracial child. So of course, it was banned right away. Such an uproar coming from both sides. Now, where I live (coming from the white area) everyone pretty much is a redneck, excluding a select minority. Their argument, 'it's our heritage' was completely bogus since they were all racist. You'd hear them outside of school, "yeah I'll wear it, I hate niggers" but in school it goes back to heritage. The black kids of course could see through this. So what happens? The white confederate kids arrange a protest, they plan to leave the school on a planned day. What happens that day? Not a thing. To this day, still can't wear confederate propaganda. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that prejudice (from both sides mind you, black people can be racist too, so can any other race) amounts to, and solves nothing. I mean, I think that was my point, I kinda lost track of what I was saying somewhere in there. Eh. So yeah, that's my story.

18. THE GOLDEN STRING

THE GOLDEN STRING Senior Member

I Would Have Spilled Hot Coffee On There Laps , Accidently I Mean

19. Moon Water

Moon Water Rena