rangerdanger's Guide To Guerilla Growing

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by rangerdanger, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

W W 27: Dig up as much of the surrounding soil they're in now--say 8" and 8" deep, put these in planters or other suitable containers and tranport these to your perm. site.

Dig a hole in your prepared soil the same size as the plant and surrounding dirt you just brought there.
    Inotherwords, try to disturb the roots as little as possible.

t m r:
    Actually you should plant 3 seeds per 3' x 3' hole, and after a week or 2 cut off the 2 shorter ones with scossors at soil level, leaving the strongest.
    The 2 most labor-intensive job in guerilla growing is digging the holes and transporting the soil.
    It takes approx 2 cu ft to fill a 3' x 3' hole. A 2 cu. ft. sack of potting soil weighs about 80 pounds. For each hole I would have to split the bag up into 3 loads and backpack out 3 times per hole.
    Hard? Hell yeah. But soil and sun are the two most important factors in growing pot.
    Now, occasioanly I'd locate a grow site near a stream. Sometimes the soil would be pretty good (near pine tree's though is bad). You want rich dark soil, not hard packed. Look for bends in the stream and piles of rocks where leaves and twigs might get washed to and collect (and decompose) during winter rains.
    If you've got rich, good draining soil, you can get by with mixing quality potting soil with existing soil on a 50/50 basis. You will spend less on potting soil but more on nutrients (but then again nutrients don't weigh NEARLY as much as potting soil).

The advice I give is geared to getting you the best possible yield.

A few years back I offered a friend part of a patch where I was growing for him to grow. I said "you prep and plant them, chip in for nutrients and I'll water them when you can't".
    He didn't feel like hauling potting soil and against my advice he just dug up some mucky junk from near the stream and mixed that 50/50 with the soil where he dug the holes.
    Most everything else was the same--same nutrients, same amt. of sun, etc.
    The end result--,y plants yielded twice as much bud as his.
    My plants weren't all that much taller than his, but mine were bushier (had lots more branches) and the buds were bigger.
    So I eneded up with lots more pot per plant than he did, and by the time I harvested ,the aches and pains from hauling our that potting soil was long forgotten.
    So it all boils down to this:
    do what you want. If you want to save some sweat and don't mind having fewer buds, by all means go that route.
    Personally, I think the extra effort is well worth a little extra sweat and a few sore muscles.

2. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

3. rangerdanger

Nutrients/fertilizers indicate the composition by N-P-K, which stands for Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium (Potash).
    For veg you want something that is highest in the first number, like 10-5-5. Nitrogen is needed for growth and make plants a beautiful vibrant emerald green.
    And use organic nutrients. For rock bottom $$ you can use a tea made out of chicken shit (buy it or use well-rotted chicken shit from your coop, the hard dusty stuff from the bottom of the pile). Fill up a 5 gal. buckets 1/5 full of chicken shit, the fill to the top with water. Stir it several times/day. It smells terrible and may make you gag.
    Do this for 2 weeks and now you've got concentrated fertilizer for a few pennies.
    Add 1/2 cup of this to every gal. of water you use on your plants.
    Or better use something like Fox Farms nutrients.

4. boothy

boothy Senior Member

is it too late for me to start planting? and how easy is it to do it in the UK... temparatures in summer of around 30 decrees centigrade at the highest, rapidly gets quite cold nearer winter... will it still work, and when is the maximum deadline i can plant by?

and if its too late to start planting outdoors... is there anyway i could speed up the growing process (indoor growing for example) and then m ove it too outdoors, when it has caught up with how it should be, if ya get me :)

5. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

damn, i never got a chance to move my plants to a permanent spot and all of them got ripped out. but its cool.
    I'm gonna keep checking out this thread anyway. theres gonna be some good bud shots later on.

6. rangerdanger

boothy, I'm the wrong guy to ask about growing in the UK/Europe.
    I've always been told that weather conditions, especially in the UK/Ireland, are very poor when it comes to growing pot.
    Pot needs lots of sun & warm weather all the way to mid-Oct.
    Someone I know who is from Scotland says that to grow pot in the UK you need to bring them inside to a growroom in Sept. to finish.

7. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Down south it is unusual to get frost before the end of October.
    Some of the strongest herb I have smoked was grown outdoors in Herefordshire thats in England.

8. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Yeah I wasn't holding much hope for a UK outdoor grow, but sooner or later I will give it a go indoors :)

9. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

My mate used to grow an outdoor strain called Bradford Bastard.

10. sweetj17

sweetj17 Member

Well, I had about 50 seeds in a plastic zip lock baggie on top of a moist paper towel. Of course, they germinated. I don't have an area to start them indoors, or any lights for that matter. 2 of my buddies are starting 86 plants in his closet, he's got no room, so I can't start them there. I have a spot picked out to grow, but I need to know if I can successfully start them outside.

Can I start them in small pots with a larger plastic Zip lock bag over them? Wouldn't it act as a sort of greenhouse?

Any help is appreciated... thanks

11. rangerdanger

Put each sprout in it's own 6" container (the kind house plants come in) filled with quality potting soil. Put them outside in shade for the first 3 days then partial shade for 3 days.
    Pick a site and prep it as per my instructions.

Tell your friend he needs 6000 lumens per sq/ft in his closet (regular lights don't work). Also tell him he has to have powered flo-thru ventilation and no more than 1 plant per sq/ft.

12. sweetj17

sweetj17 Member

Thanks for the information! I guess it would make sense to keep them in shade for the first 3 days. I'll also let my friend know about what to do with the closet situation.

13. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

If you can grow pumpkins and sweetcorn successfully outdoors in Ireland and England, then with a suitable strain, perhaps pot too?

Provided it's in a sheltered, sunny spot, and the summer turns out a good one!

14. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

If you can grow pumpkins and sweetcorn successfully outdoors in Ireland and England, then with a suitable strain, perhaps pot too?

Provided it's in a sheltered, sunny spot, and the summer turns out a good one!

15. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Yes mine are out in the boiling sun. We should see no frost before the end of October.

16. lizziet84

lizziet84 Member

is it safe for your plants to be exposed to the sun like that? i know they need the sun for them too grow but wont they wilt if they left out there too long?

17. rangerdanger

I don't think it's possible, if you provide adequate water, for a pot plant to get too much sun.
    Marijuana LOVES sun. The biggest plant of the most potent pot I've ever grow was a plant on a hilltop.
    It was the first point in the area that got sun in the a.m. and the last to lose it at dusk.

18. sweetj17

sweetj17 Member

well i took your advice i prepped a new area got 15 small 6" containers, using organic soil. I bought some cow manure, too. I guess its high in N my friend told me to mix some of it in with the other soil. Of course, i'll take your advice and put them in the shade...should I use a blanket? (not to cover them, just provide shade) About watering... will the soil stay moist if I water once a day, provided they are in shade for the first three days? what happened last time was that I had 15 germinated and in pots, but before they sprouted i had them in direct sunlight, pretty stupid of me. soil dried out, and that was the end of that.

Hope it works this time.

19. rangerdanger

Alright freaks, it's time to get serious.

You hiked and hiked and found the perfect spot, dug holes, hauled potting soil and have been making those long treks every 2--4 days to keep your plants watered and fertilized.
    Now it's mid-July and things start to get interesting.

I just noticed one of my 12 plants start to begin flowering. Over the next 4 weeks they'll all start.
    For me this is not that important. All of my plants are clones from known females. But for people who grew from seeds you gotta watch your plants like a hawk.
    Because during the next 5--6 weeks (could be tomorrow could be Sept.1 or anywhere in between).
    And you want to get rid of the males. Rip them up without mercy.

Anyway I'm jazzed. I always look forward to this time of year. It's amazing watching the plants develop, and observing the buds forming.
    Keep at it dudes, we're coming into the home stretch.

20. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Rangerdanger trying my first outdoor grow in the UK after following your thread. Everything is going well so far. Plants are now a good size and looking healthy. I am a bit worried about the rains and bad weather to come in the later half of september. Especially as the plants have gotten this far. Was thinking of erecting one of those lightweight portable slot together, polythene greenhouses. What do you reckon? Is it a good idea or can I get by without it. Is there any problems you know of associated with greenhouses apart from being seen?