RainyDay stand up comedy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

This vid and routine is over a year old and I know it's not the greatest but I've been told I have potential, so I figured I'd post it. I havn't done stand up in a while and I'm suffering some major writers block. So I am hoping you guys can help me out and inspire me with some ideas for things I can write about for a new routine..

tips/suggestions/criticism, all welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iOnApqfxRs"]Comedy in the Arts Colony with Marilyn Bee - YouTube

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

:2thumbsup:

3. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

You seem kinda nervous.

4. RainyDayHype

yep
    I'm a nervous, anxiety-ridden person
    I have an idea to just smoke a lot of weed before performing to calm myself the fuck down, but I'm worried I'll forget my routine..might work though

5. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Maybe you should just take a hit or two. Just enough to take the edge off.

6. RainyDayHype

good idea
    it may take a little more than that though

7. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

You want to make sure you don't smoke too much. Just enough to get the smallest hint of a buzz.

8. RainyDayHype

improvised stoney rambles might be funny though..
    haha probably not

9. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Plus you can add it to your act by letting them know that you just smoked to ease the edge.

10. acuarela

acuarela Member

I like your sweater. You were definitely way nervous. I can be funny naturally in a conversation, but I can't tell jokes. I will ruin any good joke that has ever existed. I freak out when people are completely focused on me.

I think a drink would be better than weed for anxiety. I'd take a shot of vodka, whiskey, whatever your poison of choice is, but that's just because weed makes me even more socially awkward. I didn't really laugh at the jokes, but I'm sure not being so nervous would help.

11. RainyDayHype

loll thanks. You guys are silly. I was hoping for critiques on the material and new ideas for material :p

I think I looked kinda frumpy that night, Haha. The sweater has bumble bees on it...since Marilyn Bee is my stage name, I had this idea to always wear yellow or something bumble bee related.

12. acuarela

acuarela Member

I thought they were clouds, but bumblebees are cute too.

13. RainyDayHype

ok, you added more now. lol, after I already replied to the sweater comment..
    Thank you for advice. I am not a drinker, I can probably count the number of times I've drank on my fingers (and toes), but having a drink beforehand would probably help me a lot.
    I'm naturally funny (and sarcastic) in conversation too. I suppose I can't tell jokes either. When I do stand up, I see it more like I'm telling funny stories..
    or more so, making fun of my life.

14. RainyDayHype

..I guess I'm more into subtle, dark humor.

15. acuarela

acuarela Member

Yes, I couldn't do that either. I still have a mild panic attack when having to speak on our bi-weekly work meetings. I just don't like having an audience. I'm better one on one and even then, I'm more of a listener.

I think it's fine to make fun of your life, because you can always be funnier when you're talking about something you know and what you see around you. The performance is still a very big part of it.

I was trying to just say something nice, but I couldn't help myself. I wouldn't have described it as dark humor, it just seemed like the usual dating/relationship jokes, but I didn't listen all the way. I'm supposed to be working.

16. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Dark humor huh

17. RainyDayHype

I see it as challenging myself because I enjoy performing but I just have so much anxiety. Doing stand up is therapeutic for me. You're right, I guess the particular things I talk about in this routine aren't dark. I do like dark humor though and have written some. I guess this vid is more quirky, subtle humor. I guess I would also be good at dead pan too. I havn't completely decided on a style.

18. acuarela

acuarela Member

I think it's good that you're trying to conquer your anxiety by facing it head on.

19. RainyDayHype

ohhhhhh no, ahhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE"]HEADON! Apply directly to the forehead! - YouTube

20. RainyDayHype

Tough crowd.