Rainbow---scary?!?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by JohnStossel, May 15, 2004.

1. JohnStossel

JohnStossel Member

Hi there flower folks

Never been to a Rainbow myself, but it sounds like a trip. On the other hand, all the "We love You, brother/sister" stuff sometimes sounds cultish. Not to put down the group since I know nothing about it, but you gotta understand my apprehension.

Anyway, can someone tell me what the basic scene is like, or direct me to a Vegas site. Thanks a bunch.

2. paix

paix Senior Member

lol, I guess I can see where the cult aprehensions come in, but aside from the bloodletting and having to turn all your earthly possesions to the leader, we're totaly normal :eek:

just kidding brother :p , all rainbow is about is family, and healing our mother earth. No membership dues, and the only money that is asked for is for the magic hat at gatherings, which basicly just helps keep things running (like kitchens) If you haven't got, then no worries, just bring your vibe and help keep everything running.

We love you, well that's just about love, in our society showing love has somehow become a bad thing, but all it's about is saying we love you no matter what your choices are, no judgement, just friendship.

I'm prolbably not doing a very good job here, I'm dead tired, try going to www.welcomehere.org, or www.welcomehome.org, I'd go to welcomehere first though.

for some better understanding check out the thread about the hopi prophesy, I posted a link to some really cool stories.

anway, good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for

lovin' ya
    Molly

3. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Rainbow isn't a cult thing,

but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional cult element lurking around in rainbow. With something that allows "everyone" in, you're going to get all types. While most are ok, there are a few camps and kitchens that I've come across with a cult vibe. Jesus camp for one *shiver*..they're actively recruiting 99% of the time.
    and there's another kitchen that had a "leader" and a bunch of "workers" that acted more like slaves, it's been so long I've forgotten the name though, and I don't accidently want to name the wrong kitchen, so I aint gonna say...but I can say that it is of course, named after its "leader".
    If you come across something that doesn't feel right, keep going, there's alot of love and good camps that aren't worth missing because of a few bad apples.

4. m6m

m6m Member

Hey JohnStossel,

Picture a gathering of several dozen Indian Clans. Each Clan centered around a little camp circle.

Centered around a kitchen scene or a drum circle or sweat-lodge or various combinations.

And now the Indians are Tribes of our alternative Hippie counter culture, and the moment you enter The Gathering, you become Family; a spirit member of every clan and every camp in The Gathering.

Here you are, along with 10,000 to 20,000 Sisters and Brothers, each of you following your own unique spirit paths, as you and they move and interact freely amongst and between all the various camp scenes.

Few and rare are the Civilized who ever have the opportunity of sharing a Tribal experience.

If ever you had a dreamy couriosity about what a life, free from the confining structures of Civilization, is like, then come to The Gathering and have a taste.

Our Future Children may never have this opportunity. We may not have this opportunity for long.

And being one of us here at Hip Forums, you are especially invited to join our '4ums' kitchen camp scene at this year's annual Gathering.

5. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Logos Ministries...The ones with the fleet of real pretty school busses, that want to take up about an acre of parking for their movie...Those guys scare the CRAP outta me, a lot more than Permit Signers, or other "Family Politicians". The Jesus People have been comming to Ocala, and missioning heavy by bringing tons of food every year. This year, as far as I could tell, there wasn't even really a Magic Hat, 'cause Jesus brought all the food. I remember when the Family could feed itself...What's gonna happen if they say they're gonna cut off the food if we don't start reciting the Lord's Prayer before supper, instead of OMing? Last year at Ocala that Christian futhermucker RedHawk tried to use food as a weapon against Front Gate...It didn't work, but created lots of chaos we did not need...

I have uncertainties about Grandma & Grandpa's Kitchen, (the Mormons), as well. They seem to be after young kids (Teens, early 20s)...Why can't they make a pot of black coffee to serve for the grown-ups, as well as that sugary hot chocolate-coffee mix the kids like so much, since they aren't supposed to have coffee anyway? Don't they want adults around?

6. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

:( I don't think Grandma and Grandpa's is Mormon, just were raised that faith in Utah, they are more of a inter-disciplinary faithed couple who have a penchant for sharing the gospel with the younger crowd, look up their website it does say, but I don't remember the link...-- not that I'm advocating them at all, they do turn me off a bit but people come in all types!! Hare Krishnas recruit at gatherings, too, and use phatty food as a means of gathering people.

If you're gonna "find yourself" anywhere a gatherings a good place amongst all the manner of types you can think of-- I don't think you can call Jesus Camp or any of the others predatory, just caution-worthy. You can also caution about "toll" trollers, tricky traders, fairie filmers and bliss-ninnies. But you get used to them, and define yourself within or without them-- people are strange until you're not a stranger anymore.

And caution in this free society is always advisable, but being open-minded is more so. Don't be too shy to meet the performers, the watermelon-worshippers, mud people, yoga gurus, herbalists, chill folks and others just like you.

Lots of information about where gathering are going on can be found at welcomehome or here, and I am more of a fan of welcomehome. Especially see if there is a lightline (a phone #) for the region you're heading to or living in and check out first a drum circle or potluck.

:DWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEE LLLLOOOOOOOVVEEE YYYYOOOOOUUUUUUU:D

is the ultimate vibe and is a penultimate experience you can only get in the middle of the woods, shouted from group to group and meadow to meadow, it sounds like HOME, it sounds like PEACE is happening, it heals all of the woes that build up in Babylon. It is not as a desire to jump your bones.:p

And the best reason I travel far and wide to attend a gathering is because I feel most at home there, and that fresh start on my otherwise boring life is jumped-started by the understanding that each and every person at that gathering is going to shape it now and in the future; my part in it is small but I give it my all, like a true sister would. You are for that time my brother or my sister in a cause to make a better society, a more peaceful world-- not as a chant brother or a scripture sister. Plus it's easier to say brother than "hey you"
    Bee

7. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

I don't like grandma n grandpas "picture tour".
    Most gathering pictures are respectful of peoples privacy, ie distance pics or pics of the utter camera hams, but g & gmas pictures are hundreds of close up shots of hundreds of peoples faces, it's like one big ID site. Just wigs me out a bit (not saying I don't look at the pictures tho, lol)

8. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

did that involve a can of peas?

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

9. JohnStossel

JohnStossel Member

Thanks everyone for your informative replies. I think I'll definitely check out the scene. I checked the welcomehome.org site for Vegas area get togethers and it said something about Calico Basin. Does anyone know if the site is up to date? I'd like to attend something smaller before jumping into a giant gathering.

Thanks again.

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Matteinvegas on here might know.You will see him post somewere on here.Just e-mail him.I am sure he will help.He seems to be a great brother who is allways helping people on here.You can go to

http://welcomehere.org/index

great board with plenty of new links.

Smaller getogethers like potlucks and drumings are a great way to meet brothers and sistahs and get afeel for what the big one might be like.plus you will get great advice on what to do and were not to hang out at.Hope this helps.I will try and e-mail some family in vegas that i know and see if they know of anything.Iwill post it here if i do.