Rainbow question

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by malcolmx88, Jan 20, 2006.

1. warpedsoaper

warpedsoaper eternal optimist

Wow. After reading all these post I will go camp else where with people who are truley kind. Have a great time in Ocala.

2. PatchWorkKid

PatchWorkKid Member

Hey phucker! I don't know yuo, but I think your an asshole for treating my sista Keanua like that!:mad:

END OF SUBJECT! NO FURTHER CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS! ThankYou! Peace&Love,
    Patches
    I wish I could go, buut I can't. Have fun! Peace! Any of u go'n to the gattering in ithaca?

3. Mychal

Mychal Member

rastapatch, Thank you for the clarifications. I didn't think that you or anyone else were candy haters, that's another one of the reasons I wanted to continue the dialogue. Profiteering seems to be the common issue here. You mentioned that something could or should be done. I agree, but first I want to reflect back. (aside: I will look for you in Colorado, rastapatch -not sure how I'm getting there yet. But I've never had a problem finding the people I want to see.)

The comment that tipped off this direction in the thread, and drew me to hash it out, was made by poorphucker. He said that we should not be suggesting to people that they bring snickers bars to trade at the circle, as if that were a currency which you could greatly profit from. I agree with him there, "bring a box of Snickers," is poor and disruptive advice.

In the last few months, I've been reading alot about Rainbow. Hundreds of documents gleaned from Google. Rainbow sites, Newspaper accounts, Forestry reports, Blogs, Journals and Forums like this. A couple of ideas get repeated ad nauseam and without concern for originality. For instance, to describe diversity you must run off a list of camps, "Jesus Camp, Hare Krishna Camp, Kiddy Village and Faerie Camp." I can't tell you how many times I've read that exact list as if it were the avatar of rainbow diversity. Of course, there's more to rainbow than that. But apparently we can't all be creative writers.

Some foot notes get repeated so often that they seem like small truths in themselves. I have to admit that I fell prey to the "Bring Snickers to Trade" advice myself. I can't tell you how many times I've read that as advice or as a description of the trade circle. NO WONDER, it peeves yourself and others to no end. But you gotta understand, this is the first I heard of descent on that advice. I thank you and poorphucker for pointing that out.

No food shall be traded.
    I must say that as a baker I find that to be a very arbitrary attitude. I understand the need for us to break bread together. I understand the need for main circle to be a central and organized place to confer. But I'm not talking about building a separate fire pit and private kitchen on the grounds and charging admission.

Granted, I could bring the raw materials for the cookies to the Main Supply. Or I could try to bake them at the gathering, or make the candy over a gas burner, but it would never be the same as if I made them at home. Baking is one of my crafts.

To me it's the same as any craft person. The confusion is in the materials. You know, I could bring twine and beads for Kiddy Village, but if I make a bracelet for trade, do you expect me to donate it to kiddy village? Besides, the kids would never make the same bracelet that I could. And you don't expect the crafts folks to make their jewelry at the gathering. Generally, the reason you value the bracelet I make is not only the materials and effort but my skill and artistry.

Now, if trading baked goods were the only thing that I did at rainbow, but I still ate the meals and took a crap, yes that would be a drain. But I wonder if there aren't craft people and rock dealers who sneak under the critical radar but who's only contribution is to sit at a blanket all day. The issue seems to be: it isn't what you trade, it's how and why you do it.

But like I said, I won't be trading my baked goods. People are predisposed to misunderstand, or think I am conflicting with the kitchens.

What to do?
    You suggest that something could and should be done. Something proactive. Shaming people doesn't always help. I'm suggesting a rap. I don't know the procedure on how that's usually done; I thought we could start it here. At least discuss it here. There's a new thread: "Toward a Better Trade Circle:" where I talk about my thoughts on the subject and offer a structure for the rap. I'm hoping it will be an outlet for all of you who have shown interest, and disinterest, in this topic and you will be able to contribute.

Great Idea, Rocky_Green: I like the idea of bringing smokes to Nick at Night to devalue the scalpers hoard and discourage the use of tobacco as currency. I quit cigarettes some years ago, but I plan on bringing something to Nick at Night now.

4. poorphucker

poorphucker Member

Yet another "patches"..... whats that make ....Patches #491?

Nice meeting you!

Glad you are able to inform an opinion all by yourself!

Do you know the old phrase....

"takes one to know one!"

That about sums you up :)

If you would like to have no further conversation, after attempting a pathetic insult, why fucking bother posting it in the first place?

I won't play your game ;)

But, I will ask how making deragoatory comments against another person, fits in to your "Peace,Love&Harmony!"

Your insulting is no different than mine.

If you want to stoop to my level as you just have, at least you did it on your own... no one made you the asshole but yourself ;)

Az

PS: get over it... I am... hopefully she is!

5. Keanua Otter

Keanua Otter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

hey! well if that doesn't kill this thread, nothing will!:(

6. mingodrake

mingodrake Member

Gosh I hate it when I'm away from the computer for a few weeks and miss a good conversation. Last year at Ocala our camp brought 873 assorted candy bars( mostly energy bars. We traded about 30 the first day for whatever anyone wanted to trade( scraps of cloth, some wire wrapped stones, a joke, a hit from a nice phatty, ect.) We gave the rest away starting at nightfall. We also had a free candy cane tree set up in the woods. Due to unexpected issues we left the gathering a faster then planned but not before both tradeing AND giving away a LOT of zuzus and capachino.I guess all I am trying to get across is that I myself feel its the spirit of the trade not the object being traded.

7. PatchWorkKid

PatchWorkKid Member

Dude. I shouldn't called u an asshole, but damn didn't anyone ever tell u how nasty u are? Jeez! can't we all just get along. keanua otter ur idea sounded pretty cool. I think u should follow through. Maybe even donate some of what you get to a good cause.;) Let us drop this here and now Phucker.

8. rastapatch

rastapatch Member

Great ideas mychal.
    Forgive me if i don't know which parts to repeat, but look, it got us this far :^D

I will join you on the new thread. I always feel the need to repeat this though. More folks should be asking what the rainbow family is, instead of telling. And yes that means us. #

9. angelle

angelle Member

yarrr.. poor mixed up rainbows.. it seems the colors have gotten swirled around into that browny accident like when you're painting for some of you.. and there's paint scattering about madly trying to dominate the canvas..

i think trading a delicious baked good is fine.. if no one feels the same way, they wont trade, and then you'll be like "ahh.. i'll just share them!" sharing is beautiful.. but no one's going to twist any arms to trade an item. perhaps once you get there, you'd fall in love with the gathering & turn into the muffin faerie. maybe before judging someone by the item they've got, you should talk to them.. once you get a feel for their energy, you can tell if their intentions are "pure" or if they're simply a scammer, if you'd like to call them that. baking is an art.. i love baking.. and would gladly trade a painting for a sweet treat, if i felt so inclined. and about the crystals, it seems as though it would be a rather common thing to trade as im sure we've all got quite the collection, but i know my crystals have all gotten attuned with my energy & have been in my presence for the past several years.. just seems like such a personal item to hand off.. "trade you my amythest for your quartz" to each their own, but my crystals were all chosen & loved. there could be negative energy intwined with the stone of another no matter how peaceful they come off as. i give away trinkets to those who have shed a beautiful light into my world and would be more inclined to give away my crystal than trade off. i'd like to trade handmade crowns.. my friend tink makes the most wonderful ones with ribbon & seashells.. little glass beads.. they're fun to wear, no matter how old you are. i think some of the wee ones would be enthralled to wear one for the festivities.. as would some of us maturing folks.

anyway.. i've been a lurker here for a while, but wanted to put in a little positive note. "im not going to stoop to your level" says one, but yes.. it appears as though you are doing just that. be kind & honest with your words, and dont attack one another... different opinions are surely allowed, but there's no need for the animocity that's flying about. if you can't get along, pm each other i guess..

10. rastapatch

rastapatch Member

angelle. What a funny post.

You start out insulting everyone equally (poor mixed up rainbows) when you could have addressed just the points. Then you say you are so above that.

Then you end with another blanket insult, and more negativity, before telling everybody what to do (if you can't get along PM eachother).

I am sure you are a lovely person and that it was just a simple oversite.

As for crystals. I have seen enough crystals to flatten a mountain. If the mountain we gather on had crystals it would be flattened before the gathering was over. That's just one dudes opinion. Myself i think crystals are like fingernails or testicals; they are most useful in their original location, and a comaratively useless novelty on your shelf.

As for your opinion on trade. I will tell you the same thing as i have said on this thread before. Have you ever spent a couple of years trying to find out what all those old people were sayin? Have you ever been involved with the gathering from one gathering 365 days to the next gathering? I know 'your opinions have worth', but how much time have you spent on the land year after year making a gathering happen with the folks who MAKE IT HAPPEN?

There is no lack of consensus in seed camp or cleanup. It is just the 'rest' of the gathering that thinks they 'can do what they want'.

Trade no food. Trading a single piece of food blurs the line of trading two pieces blurs the line of trading four pieces, blur 8, blur16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384. Fourteen steps from no trading food, to all food traded. Yes i know it's just an example, but it's really just like that.
    There used to be zero tolerance at the gathering for trading food, remember that? One child with a lot of ego traded one candybar, and the next child said "i just saw him do it, so i can do it" Now they trade candybars, and soup cans, and dried beans. Hmmm.

I am sure you are a lovely person. I hope to see you at the gathering and i guess your friends and my friends will get along on almost everything. I am not hard to find. Just ask any old hippies (inside the gathering, not at the trade circle) for rastapatch. You won't have to ask very many times.

11. PatchWorkKid

PatchWorkKid Member

I like the way chose your words angelle.

12. angelle

angelle Member

thanks for your feedback patchwokrkid & rastapatch... see, it's all about perspective i guess. i didn't want to oust anyone, so i tried to choose words carefully cause it really wasnt my intention to attack.. one saw it that way, the other didnt.. so thanks for the honesty from the both. : )

im so looking forward to gathering with all of you!! im just excited for springtime.. back to the road & adventures abound..

13. rastapatch

rastapatch Member

Well said, angelle.
    I have tried to learn how to use words carefully, and it is a slippery slope. You did a fair job the 'first' time, and a great job the 'second' time.
    I did not however see it as an attack, but an oversight. Hope you are hearing my attempt at sincereity. I think i would sound more sincere in person, typing can 'sound' misleading. namaste' #

14. PatchWorkKid

PatchWorkKid Member

NP! U cool w/me.:p