Rainbow question

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by malcolmx88, Jan 20, 2006.

1. malcolmx88

malcolmx88 Member

After reading kerouac I am getting antsy, and want to travel. I am thinking about going to the 2006 Rainbow gathering in Colorado.

I dont plan on going with anyone, will that work out? I mean it seems like I will be going to a new place without knowing anyone, 20,000 new people.

Also, I read about the 60's and have a love and pining for the days back then. I get the feeling these gatherings are kinda like that.

Is it reminiscent of the 1960's commune days?

2. busmama

busmama go away

Of course you will. You will probably meet some family on the way. If not, you will still be fine.

3. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

just know that there are bad apples in every bunch,and dont let it spoil the love that others will have for you there is still plenty of love

4. earthstarvillage

earthstarvillage Member

When you get to the National in Colorado-

Look around. Go to Info and get written stuff, get a map. Talk to an elder at info, they can tell you a camp or kitchen that is happening and clean. Be careful who you camp near, trust in Allah- but tie your camel to a post. Look for reputable names----Katuah, Granola Funk, Serf, Nerf, Kiddie Village...Plug in, gather wood, help in a kitchen--something! Being a part of it is what makes it happen. It's all free, so show gratitude by pitching in---also contribute to the magic hat ---that's how we get supplies for everyone. Bring stuff to trade at trade circle---candy bars, crystals, crafts, camping supplies.....

5. mingodrake

mingodrake Member

Going into a place you dont know alone is sometimes a lil scary but usually a great adventure. It also gives you freedom to travel with anyone you do meet when the gathering is over. If your heading out " on the road" you will probably meet someone with the same quest for adventure and get swept up into some insane journey you would never have found if you came with folks you know.

have fun

6. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bring snickers bars. No, I'm not kidding. After a few days, they're like cash.

You will meet all kinds of interesting people. You might hook up with rides to other places. I hitch-hiked to the Colorado '92 and got a ride all the way to the Oregon Country Fair. Good times.

Camp near a kitchen. Help out. You'll have the time of your life.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm really glad I did that when I had the chance.

If, when you get there, the first people you see try to charge you money to get in, that's A Camp. Don't give them anything.

7. sage

sage Member

when does the 06' gathering take place.

8. warpedsoaper

warpedsoaper eternal optimist

Never have experienced a gathering but thinking of checking it out since we live so close. Rolled through Ocala this weekend and could see signs of folks trickeling into the area. Made me want to join in.

9. Tribal Om

Tribal Om Member

After reading all these responses, I'm giving a resounding HO! I went to my first National (Montana 2000) as a solitary warrior, but cosmic synchronicity kicked in as soon as I entered the Land. I let the Great Spirit guide me and wound up plugging in at NERF, meeting so many beautiful souls for the 2 weeks I spent in the forest. Magick will truly happen whether you travel with a group or not. ~Namaste~

10. PatchWorkKid

PatchWorkKid Member

I myself hope to in the way future travel on foot to go to gatherings also. I wish you luck!;)

11. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

Come one Come all I think you will find it verry interesting !!
    The site this year is to be at Lake Marry i have another post on here with directions if you need them

http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143329

12. malcolmx88

malcolmx88 Member

thanks for the helpful responses guys. That helps.

I am also curious about activities. I have been to the Oregon Country fair, and their is performers, musicians, poets, authors, etc... and they are scheduled to perform at times during the day.

I get the feeling that the Rainbow gathering isnt like that. I get the feeling their are no performers or bands etc... and that it is more about experiencing nature and the forest and thousands of fellow people, rather than music and poetry

13. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

there is usually something going on like fire dancing and once in a while a band showes up

14. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

bands sometimes,drum circles,and musicians are allways arround

15. papabear

papabear Member

drum circles are every night, they are so nice to fall a sleep to.

16. poorphucker

poorphucker Member

Forget bringing snickers. The gathering is not about money or what things you can bring to trade with others. Sure you can go and pick up a box of chocolate bars or a pouch of tobacco, to trade with others that are trying to fix thier sweet tooth or nicotine addiction, but you would just be taking advantage of a situation and other people's habits and addictions. I know that if we were at a gathering and at a trading circle, and saw somone pimping off bars of chocolate like they were gold, I would take notice of the person and pretty much shy away from wanting to meet or get to know them. Somehow, thier actions can show what type of individual they are before I even meet them! Forget the possibility of ever trading anything we have that they might want ;) Judgemental? NAW! Just reality.

If that is the type of energy you bring into the gathering with you... good luck on what energy leaves with you.

There are alot of good camps and great people of course! You seak you shall find. A poster mentioned a few of those camps. I want to mention my personal opinion on one of the camps.... Kiddie Village. Kiddie Village is for the kids (and parents). I know if I were at KV and a whole bunch of single male campers started to show up at KV, we would probally take our child and camp elsewhere. My child's safety is all I care of at a gathering now! It would make us extremely uncomfortable, to know that stranger adults by themseleves, were trying to camp with kiddies. This is something me and my wife have discussed in depth. Nothing to you personal.

I find the best way for you to get off on a good start at a gathering, is to find some brother or sister who is distressed over something, whether it be a kitchen that needs help, a brother or sister packing in their things, someone haulling alot of wood or water to a camp.... and offer your assistance! I really think that is when I have seen the most smiles at gatherings.... new folks meeting each other and helping one another in the proccess! I have met some very wonderful friends this way!

MMMmmmmmmmm.... DRUMS!

Az

17. rastapatch

rastapatch Member

Forget the candy, and the tobacco for trading. If i saw you trading such things i would also probably not trade with you. At the national you are not supposed to trade food, for one. And it doesn't matter how much you bring, you will just be broke before you leave. Come with a clean spirit and the willingness to co-operate, and you will have no shortage of candy or tobacco. Just find some reputable folks and ask them can you help with main circle tonight, and you will never need to trade candy and cigs again.

The rainbow in colorado will not be much like the one in ocala, nor like the michigan regional, nor the west virginia gathering in 05. There will be live music within earshot for the entire two weeks or more.

18. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I for one like chocolate and tobacco. People seem to like me at gatherings and trade with me too. At a gathering in Mexcio I became the cigarette faery and walked around the circle after meals handing out cigarettes. After a while people started supplying me me smokes to hand out. Whats someone to do when theyre out in the middle of the forest and need a smoke? They could bum and bum draaaain people or they could trade somebody something for some tobacco.
    I've been overjoyed to find people trading chocolate. I love the stuff. Its got antioxidants and flavenoids mmm and happy brain drugs that are alot less harmful than some of the other drugs being injested at gatherings. Love my family. Don't judge my family.

19. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

There will be music EVERYWHERE... Even talent shows. Some folks don't like the trade circle at all, but I think it's great fun. I see some folks dressed in black with studs and a million piercings and green spike hair trading knives and I just go somewhere else, to the next blanket perhaps, no biggie. Think I'd rather have people trading candy bars...

20. Keanua Otter

Keanua Otter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i'm with you sister crystaleyes!!!

some of you kind folks can just avoid me when i am handing out chocolate all over the place at Ocala! I am gonna bring bags and bags and bags of kisses and such!
    i just feel like saying get over it for crying out loud, some of you sound like Gathering Nazi's! No giving away or (heaven forbid!) trading chocolate? come on, give me a huge freaking break.

FLASH FORWARD!!!! yes! in retrospect, this was the wrong thing to say!!!! Just kidding!!!!! Sometimes, we mama's can get cranky when we want our chocoalte. meep!:eek: