Rainbow help for Katrina-displaced folks

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by earthmother, Sep 1, 2005.

1. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

glad to hear yall are doin well with resettling your lives....:)

2. balance_n_venus

balance_n_venus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

3. Meatwad

Meatwad Member

Stay cool man ,you'll get through it. You have alot of awesome life and parties ahead of you. Stay positive and remember what goes around comes around. Nothing can suck forever. ;)

4. adventure bound 2006

adventure bound 2006 Member

Hello brothers and sisters! I just got back from the Made With Love Cafe in the St. Bernard Parish/9th ward area where I was a voulenteer for 2 1/2 months there. We really need as many voulenteers there as we can get! Look at www.emergencycommunities.org so you can get a better idea of what we are all about. peace love and light

5. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I, too, just ended a hitch with Emergency Communities. Anyone thinking of heading there expecting to find a "cool Family scene" is likely to be disapointed. Don't think about showing up there unless you know someome there that is expecting you, or have made arrangements with the E.C. HighHolies. Feel Free to PM or Email me for more details.

6. balance_n_venus

balance_n_venus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just stopin' In to say THANKS for all that you're still doing...It's Really Great ! Thanks for caring :)

7. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

--- In newwavelandcafe@yahoogroups.com, >
    > Hello friends,
    >
    >
    > I am writing you with a two part massage.
    >
    >
    > One.
    > I would like to invite you all to the Funk theatre , please feel
    > free to camp with us , and get ready to have a real good time. We
    > will be building a theatre indeed , but in addtion we will be adding
    > a tea house for the greater community hydration needs. With parades
    > everyday , and a perverbial barrle of monkeys.
    >
    >
    > Two.
    > I have been orginizing with a growing group of people, to prepare
    > for this upcomming storm season. We will be focusing on short term
    > recovery. We have finalized the nessasary steps to non-profit
    > status and set up a home office in Asheville NC. I will be talking
    > with whoever might be interested at the gathering.
    >
    > It has a name.........
    >
    > American Rainbow Rapid Response
    >
    > Love Ya'll
    >
    > Aaron Funk

8. bkcmar

bkcmar keep those feet bare

:) I am a New Orleans resident and I would like to express my appreciation to the Rainbow Family and all of the volunteers who came to the city in the aftermath of Katrina. Fortunately in live in the French Quarter, so my home did not suffer any damage as a result of the storm. I stayed throughout the hurricane and its aftermath. This gave me the opportunity to see the best and worst aspects of human behavior. The Rainbow Family provided much needed assistance despite encountering all sorts of obstacles. The park where the camp was established is located in the Marigny, just outside of the Quarter. These wonderful volunteers provided assistance despite being fought by Marigny residents, police and local politicans. Thanks for all of your help. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Peace, Love and Happiness to all.

9. kureyrocks

kureyrocks Member

Just thought i would say thanks for caring. I am from new orleans myself. After the storm i moved to Asheville NC, which i love more than anything.

10. YoungHippieDream

YoungHippieDream Member

11. galagala

galagala Member

i've been wanting to go to New Orleans for a while now and have been looking online at organizations that take in volunteers to help out.

is there still any Rainbow camps(???) in the area i could help work with? i'd rather be helping with the Rainbow community than anyone else. it's not an attitude thing, just a preferance.

12. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

oh my god...reading this thread gave me chills and i had to stop and cry. i live in laurel, ms, in jones county, the hardest-hit inland county during the storm. you guys don't know what it was like. you have no idea how terrible it was unless you lived through it. it was awful! we were scared to death! there was absolutely no power or water of any kind...almost all the occupants of the local nursing homes died! they didn't have anything to drink AT ALL so they dehydrated. babies were dying as well. we had no way of communicating with anyone and since there were trees down on all the roads for months afterwards and there was no way to go offroad in most places, we didn't know if our families were okay. i spent a week wondering where the hell my boyfriend was, crying over him and dehydrating myself. his house was empty when i was finally able to get there. but you couldn't drive that many places becasue gas was either a ten-hour wait or completely gone OR inaccesible due to the lack of electricity. the work crews who attempted to fix the power and phone lines passed out because they'd had nothing to drink in days. some weren't willing to share anything because without police or any means of communciation other than face-to-face, crime was rampant. there were murders everywhere, and theft of food and stuff. i think some girls were raped. someone in my community shot their brother in a fight over a bag of ice. there were guns everywhere, either because people were taking advantage of the anarchy and shooting their neighbors, or people were afraid of just that happening and trying to defend themselves.

the worst part had to be not knowing who existed, or what was going to happen next, and knowing that noone knew or cared where you were or what was happeningto you. but a few people got out and helped. if it weren't for the crazy rednecks who live here, we wouldn't have made it. they had all been waiting for just such an opportunity to present itself. out came the huge chainsaws and the four wheel drives! they really did do a great job clearing the most important roads so that FINALLY, we could wait in line for ice and water.

sorry i got off on such a huge thing here, but it really was awful. thanks for letting me vent and share my story.

13. Jewmanjii

Jewmanjii Banned

[​IMG]REALLY?

14. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

15. coyotesister

coyotesister Member

hey there family...i have to admit i haven't read through all of the posts on this thread. i'm gonna go ahead and repost this message for the American Rainbow Rapid Response...

"AMERICAN RAINBOW RAPID RESPONSE po box 1648 Asheville, NC 28802 (828)-582-2826 a project of Conscious Alliance Where were you on August 29th, 2005 at 7a.m. when Hurricane Katrina struck? On that fateful day, one of the worst disasters in modern American history came with a wake-up call and a test of our metal. In the days that followed, our nation watched in horror as hundreds of thousands of neighbors and friends fell deeper and deeper into despair. No food, no water, no doctors; all resulting in more deaths and life long psychological damage. WE SAY NEVER AGAIN! While watching the news coverage of the national response falling short, we realized that it is our responsibility and obligation as Americans to help our fellow citizens. This disaster and the short-fallings of national response led to the mobilization of the experienced knowledge and assets of the Rainbow community, as well as the collectives of Burning Man, church communities, and crucial donations of amazing non-profits like The Conscious Alliance. As it turns out, a “No Politics/No Religions” egalitarian model proved to be one of the most effective approaches to responding to this complex and unprecedented event; and inspired what has become the New Waveland Café movement. In the wake of these events, together with The Conscious Alliance, we have established the project American Rainbow Rapid Response (ARRR) to spearhead this movement. By providing critical support needed in the days immediately following a disaster, we believe that it is our duty as Americans and as Conscious human beings to motivate our community and assets to aid those suffering. It is our intent to motivate the youth and alternative grassroots networks towards compassion, caring and service in dire times of need. Please join us and let us embark on this journey together, by either donating money which will be put directly towards developing our vital infrastructure, partnering with our group in services, or by volunteering your time in the days immediately following a catastrophe. ……………let survivors know that, indeed, there is “Help on the Way”! Thank You, Aaron Funk Please send your donations to: Conscious Alliance disaster relief team 2525 Arapahoe ave. Ste. E4-182 Boulder, Co 80302 (303)810-2247 We are a 501(c)tax deductable non-profit"

this is just another group of kids doing what they can to help get folks fed and on the road to recovery. this is what we are all about...sharing the love and light...helping where it's needed.

loving you family! keep up the good work!

16. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

um, seriously....where were the rainbows?

17. hippiehillbilly

umm what??? they were in waveland for a year..

if you go threw this thread you would have seen that..

i know that requires effort ...

18. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

WHEN did they arrive in waveland? and i asked because yeah, it does take a long time to go through a million posts. i went through a lot and saw exactly what i expected to see-posts that said stuff like "yeah, everyone who goes down there is great for helping out...i wish i could but (insert excuse)."

i also think it's hilarious that people were talking about driving down here...as if we wouldn't have driven north if it were at all possible. my family and several others saved up enough gas before the hurricane that we could've gone other places for what we needed. we wanted very badly to get to tennessee afterwards but couldn't because of the ungodly number of massive fucking TREES down on every road.

good for the family to go to waveland, but they were needed everywhere else, too, and unless you lived through this storm, you'll never understand the hopelessness of the situation. very few people cared, and those few who did didn't understand how serious it was or how soon they were needed.

where do you live? and where were you when my uncle had to break his windows with a baseball bat to drain his living room? where were you when my mom forced her way into a drug store to steal insulin for my grandfather? don't criticize my criticizms unless you can say "yes, i had no water or electricity or communication with the outside world for three weeks."

19. hippiehillbilly

my my aren't we the resentful one..

actually they were in waveland before the national guard was if im not mistaken..

and everyone involved was full well aware of the devastation elsewhere. there are only so many people who can commit to such a effort. they chose waveland because it was closest to ground zero.

i fail to see why you are choosing to lash out at such a fine group of folks.

20. ID10T

ID10T Member

I feel for ya Sister!!! I begged these

For help when we in florida were hit by 2 hurricanes. No reply.

But then they ran to "The Villages" (Outside Ocala) last Jan to help the ONLY 7 people who were injured from a tornando.....just to lie/cheat/steal supplies (tents/MRE's/Water) from the ones giving true help.
    The Rainbow Medicine Man knows (and the Man) what is in store for the Mississippi and will not rebuild (quite obvious).

These Folks dont know Nothing about Katrina....It hit Florida 1st, Louisiana and then MS. Just reviewed the WHOLE tape I just found of the Announcement to leave NOLA at 9:30am by Gov Ray and they EARLY disaster $$$ figure speculation that was way off.

When you see trouble in the heavens...YOU WILL SEE THE TRUE RAINBOW WARRIOR !!!!!!!

PR