Railroad Noise & Inner City Children

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Eleven, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Eleven

Eleven Member

I heard a local politician say poor children were harmed by the frequent blaring of train horns.

If railroads didn't pay their executives like those on this link, they could install more crossing arms and wayside horns. Wayside horns blare at waiting vehicles rather than dumping 110+ decibels on an entire neighborhood.

James A. Squires makes $11,314,369. Cynthia C. Earhart, makes $3,197,404. The other 3 execs each make 2+ million a year.

NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP Executive Salaries & Other Compensation | Salary.com

Orison likes this.
  2. Eleven

Eleven Member

Are local politicians dependent on campaign contributions from railroads, and afraid to raise the taxes railroads pay? That revenue could pay for crossing arms and wayside horns.

How do railroads get taxed? - RAILROAD.NET

3. I thought I heard that whistle blow

It blow like it ain't gonna blow no more

4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Train sirens and emergency vehicle sirens one does, in time, get used to, just like any other noises and they then disappear into the general hubbub.

Where I live, I'm in sight and sound of the main railway station, can see trains on both the main-line to London, and the east-coast line to Eastbourne. I can see trains crossing the viaduct. There is also, within sight and sound the main fire station, so I get emergency vehicle sirens all day and night long, I no longer pay attention to them anymore.