racism and the force

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by thepixies, May 11, 2004.

1. Anaconda man

Anaconda man I am not a hippy

I'm white, and I grew up on a very tough council estate. I was pulled over and stopped and searched just as much as black people because we all caused trouble together (I'm completely law abiding now). The police are just anti-trouble rather than against certain ethnic minorities. They see a certain group causing trouble and they don't like it, that's the way I see it.

2. onelovemission

onelovemission Member

It might be to do with where everyone lives aswell. I think in London the police are generally a bit more up to date and more 'switched on'.

In yorkshire its a totally different story they don't even have the decency to try try to hide it. Maybe its because Yorkshire in general is quite a racist place.? Maybe the police are just a reflection of the people they are working with (public)?

I moved away for a few years and when I moved back and started working locally I could not believe the amount of racism I came across every day among people I worked with. Ive had several jobs in the 5 years i've been back here and it's got no better, I can't stand it.

3. brothwood

brothwood Member

yeah i think it is totally where you are from.
    when i lived in birmingham i hardly would come across much (open anyway) racist remarks or behaviour. although i did here stories from friends who believed the police were racist and had singled them out before because of their skin colour.

since i have moved to a small town in wales, there is a lot of racism, i have noticed, and i am still shocked by and still get very offended.

4. spejemelujai

spejemelujai Member

Yeah, I'm from Bradford, and it's very divided. I guess it's about half and half asian and white, and mostly the two groups hate one another. It's like two towns of half the size.
    It's a sad situation. I find it much more tollerant in big towns with many different ethnic groups.
    peace x