Racial Breakdown On Police Shootings

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Motion, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Some interesting info on the racial makeup of most police shootings in the U.S.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. Motion

Motion Senior Member

For a while I've felt that the news media can be too quick to highlight race whenever a white police officer shoots a Black person regardless of the details and circumstances of the shooting. I think the news media needs to get clear on when race actually needs to be highlighted and when it doesn't when it's a white black police shooting.

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Members

The shooting of the 16-year-old girl in Columbus underlines my question of why anyone would choose to be a police officer.

The real action in the video starts at 9:55.

If he doesn't shoot her, he'll be in trouble for taking no action when someone was clearly being threatened with bodily harm with a deadly weapon.......but if he does shoot, he'll be taken to task for killing a suspect because of the color of their skin.

One way or another, his life is going to be hell, at least for a while. If simply doing your job.....if that's what he was doing.....can result in your possibly being fired, prosecuted and denounced as a racist, you're taking a huge chance with your life by becoming a cop.

sherman march likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

You're absolutely congruent with my thinking. Also with my education.

From what I know, they typically mention race in connection with violence. It makes it sound not only like there's a lot of violent crime (there isn't. It's just all they ever bother to report...), but also like violent criminals are people of color; a mischaracterization to be sure!

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Agreed.

It's a simple choice to side with either racial or non-racial bias, but yet their training somehow never covered it. :rolleyes:

I think what's really needed is a recalibrated training curriculum.

Calamity Jane likes this.