Raavi

Discussion in 'Psychedelic and Garage' started by Imaginenothing, May 24, 2006.

1. Imaginenothing

Imaginenothing Member

i figured the only place to post this was in the psychedelic thread, but are there any Raavi Shankar fans out there?... I found a record in my dads old stash, and I'm searching more fun with the sitar.

2. Ranchero

Ranchero Member

pretty much any ravi shankar album is worth hearing and i'd check out the concert for bangladesh i'll have a look through my records later and do a list of stuff. There are also a lot of psych/acid folk bands that use sitars quite extensivly as well so i'll put some of the best on the list too

3. Ranchero

Ranchero Member

Nikhil Banerjee is another good sitar player worth checking out as is Ananda Shankar (ravis nephew i believe) he does some covers of songs by the doors and stones as well as his own stuff.along similar lines is sitar beat by big jim sullivan. almost any album by the incredible string band between 67-71 and donovan albums of the mid to late 60s are also worth checking out. also check out the all music guide website. that should keep you going for now

4. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I saw Ravi Shankar and his group live a couple of weeks ago... and I recorded the show and now have it on CD. :H

5. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

damn let me get it!

6. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

his monterey performance is fuckin sick

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

yea it is

8. Imaginenothing

Imaginenothing Member

I am so fucking jealous of you.

9. Lather

Lather Member

As someone already said, pretty much any Ravi Shankar album is worth getting. In fact his daughter Anoushka Shankar is a pretty damn good sitar player herself. Check out her album 'Rise'..

10. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Yes, she is excellent. In fact, when I saw them live, I was actually more impressed with her than with Ravi. :eek:

11. Folkhippie90

Folkhippie90 Member

Yeah, Ravi Shankar is the shit. I love Raga Gangshwari. That pice of music has a very ominus yet beautiful.

12. Clara

Clara Member

Ravi´s songs can get you on a mind trip. I´ve heard his daughter´s album too and it´s wonderful, she´s a fantastic sitar player.

13. Rock_And_Blues

Rock_And_Blues Member

he's one of the most amazing musicians ive ever heard (this includes western musicians as well). He right up there with the Beatles and Hendrix in my opinon, everybody should definetly check him (and all Hindustani music) out

14. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

15. CrownOfCreation

CrownOfCreation Member

Jumpin Jack Flash is amazing, so is Light My Fire. I really dig this album. His own stuff is great too. Anyone who hasn't heard this should really check it out.