Quote from the book you're reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by Driftrue, May 31, 2019.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

scratcho and Driftrue like this.
  2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

“Dear Mr Skully,

I have caught my neck in a mangle and will be indisposed for eternity.

Yours in death
    S.D.”

scratcho likes this.
  3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Jesus and I have been through a great deal together. And I tell you Lilly, he would roar with laughter and say, why my dear child you laid with the ginger man? Great. Don’t worry about it. What’s a piece of arse between friends so long’s you both get a good chunk.”

Driftrue likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This ridiculous foible is perhaps one of our most fatal characteristics; for is there anything more absurd than to wish to carry continually a burden which one can always throw down? to detest existence and yet to cling to one's existence? in brief, to caress the serpent which devours us, till he has eaten our very heart?

Driftrue and Meliai like this.
  5. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

"My dearest little Isabel. I fear that this is the last letter i will write to you. You have been my source of great happiness in life and of great sadness now that i have to leave. I ask you not be sad for me, but cherish my memory and think of me in quiet moments. I have changed and now i am different from the last time i kissed your cheeks and forehead. I wish i could say i've gained some wisdom to leave you as an inheritance, but am less wise now than i have ever been. Live your life, my angel, be brave and happy and remember to laugh and dance and always trust your heart. Someday you'll have a baby and you shall know the joy you have brought to my heart. Goodbye, my dear child. Your father that loves you."

6. After all, populist discontent with elites is a phenomenon across the western world, but only America gave a vulgar property developer the presidency.
    How the World Thinks by Julian Baggini
    Paperback page 86

scratcho likes this.
  7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Though an image is seen in a mirror,
    it does not exist though it appears;
    likewise those who do not understand
    the appearances of the mind,
    give rise to dualistic concepts.​

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In some one-half of the people are fools, in others they are too cunning; in some they are weak and simple, in others they affect to be witty; in all, the principal occupation is love, the next is slander, and the third is talking nonsense.

...All these kinds are found there. It is a chaos⏤a confused multitude, where everybody seeks pleasure and scarcely any one finds it, at least as it appeared to me.

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  9. Dax

Dax Members

10. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

dr. Seuss - Oh The Places You’ll Go

————-

"I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart: I am, I am, I am."
    Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar

————-

“I don't have any special talents, just an ordinary desire to live like a human being.”

“Why do smart people exist, if not to figure out convoluted problems?

Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita

Driftrue and MeAgain like this.
  11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

which book is this from?

12. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

“Choices are made in brief seconds and paid for in the time that remains.”

mysticblu21 likes this.
  13. "But now I longed for a message of another kind, and chance, if chance there is, brought it, for a man got into the carriage and began to play on a fiddle made apparently of an old blacking-box, and though I am quite unmusical the sounds filled me with the strangest emotions. I seemed to hear a voice of lamentation out of the Golden Age. It told me that we are imperfect, incomplete, and no more like a beautiful woven web, but like a bundle of cords knotted together and flung into a corner. It said that the world was once all perfect and kindly, and that still the kindly and perfect world existed, but buried like a mass of roses under many spadefuls of earth. The faeries and the more innocent of the spirits dwelt within it, and lamented over our fallen world in the lamentation of the wind-tossed reeds, in the song of the birds, in the moan of the waves, and in the sweet cry of the fiddle. It said that with us the beautiful are not clever and the clever are not beautiful, and that the best of our moments are marred by a little vulgarity, or by a pin-prick out of sad recollection, and that the fiddle must ever lament about it all. It said that if only they who live in the Golden Age could die we might be happy, for the sad voices would be still; but alas! alas! they must sing and we must weep until the Eternal gates swing open."

W.B. Yeats

scratcho likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

When you rest in the brilliant clarity of ever-present awareness,
    you are the great Unborn,
    free of all qualities whatever.
    In the vast expanse of primordial Emptiness,
    you are forever invisible to this world.​

16. soulcompromise

17. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Mine too. Great book. :). And hello to you. :). When did you first read it, or hear of it? and how many translations have you read? Lol. Or which translation?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"my pop always told me to watch the scales. The world has a way of always cheating the working man." Read this years ago. Still holds true. In Dubious Battle, by John Steinbeck.

Nitocris and MeAgain like this.
  19. soulcompromise

I have like 5 textbooks but I don't know if the quotes are very good. Lemme grab one from the table next to me...

That's kinda trippy to think about. Owner's equity is a very vague concept for me as well. I wonder how it effects the equation. Also, credit balance accounts are screwballs... :D

It has a picture of the accounting equation to accompany all that mumbo jumbo too:

[​IMG]

I like this one better (from the same Google search):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. "Meanwhile King Arthur and his nobles had gathered around, astonished at Sir Balin's success, and several of the nobles were secretly envious. "Sire," said the young noblewoman to Arthur, "this knight will become famous before he dies," and then to Sir Balin: "Sir, please give me the sword again."

"Now that I have won this sword," said Sir Balin, "nothing will part me from it."

"It is for your sake and not mine that I ask you," said the young noblewoman. "If you keep it you will fight to the death with the man you love most."

"Still, I would rather chance my fate," said Sir Balin; and so the young noblewoman departed sorrowfully."