Quote from the book you're reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by Driftrue, May 31, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sounds like something Odin would have said in the Havamal tbh.

2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I think all gods speak the same words, at the heart of things.

Irminsul likes this.
  3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Ariadne: They told me you had a wife, but the two of you got trapped in a place called Limbo. What happened?

Dom: Her name was Mal. We were like actors in a movie, but she got so deep into her character that she forgot who she really was. Instead of playing the character, the character began playing her. I tried to remind her, but i couldn't get her to believe that we were dreaming and that to wake up, we had to commit suicide together.

Driftrue likes this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

"it was manifest that a malady of such horrors, stenches, and agonies, and especially one bringing the dismal despair that settled upon its victims before they died,
    was not a plague natural to mankind but a chastisement from Heaven."

Gul Dukat and Driftrue like this.
  5. Dax

Dax Members

On The Road
    Author: Jack Kerouac

Year: 1957

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”

Driftrue, Meliai and MeAgain like this.
  6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The three great monotheisms teach people to think abjectly of themselves, as miserable and guilty sinners prostate before an angry and jealous god who, according to discrepant accounts, fashioned them either out of dust and clay or a clot of blood. The positions for prayer are usually emulations of the supplicant serf before an ill tempered monarch. The message is one of continual submission, gratitude, and fear. Life itself is a poor thing: an interval in which to prepare for the hereafter- or second coming- of the Messiah.

7. Total Darkness

"Thank you," said Alice, "for showing me,
    What for so long i have longed to see.
    That i'm just a prisoner inside of a dream,
    And nothing here is as it seems."

Driftrue likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Trace them back to their original origin and identity and there's a reason why. :)

I've spent years doing it.

Norse are perceived a bit differently though, albeit having similar characteristics, but I no longer look at Amun-Ra as the sun God at all or any of the Egyptian, Akkadian, Banylonian, Greek, Roman etc.... Not even Jesus, nor the Pantheon of angels.

Meliai likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I thought this might be a quote from a book so I tried to look it up then realized you were responding to Irm.

But it's a good line. You should use it in a book one day!

Driftrue likes this.
  10. "Naked I reached the world at birth;
    Naked I pass beneath the earth:
    Why toil I, then, in vain distress,
    Seeing the end is nakedness?"

11. Total Darkness

"I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of that is - Be what you would seem to be. Or if you'd like it put more simply; Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Driftrue and MeAgain like this.
  12. "When a man is awearied wine greatly maketh his strength to wax, even as thou art awearied in fighting for thy fellows."

13. "Nay, even the very gods can bend and theirs withal is loftier majesty and honour and might. Their hearts by incense and reverent vows and drink-offering and burnt-offering men turn with prayer, so oft as any transgresseth and doeth sin. Moreover Prayers of penitence are daughters of great Zeus, halting and wrinkled and of eyes askance, that have their task withal to go in the steps of Sin. For Sin is strong and fleet of foot, wherefore she far out-runneth all prayers, and goeth before them over the earth making men fall, and Prayers follow behind to heal the harm."

14. But generally it's the other way, the slow way. She'll turn that dial to a dead stop and freeze the sun there on the screen so it don't move a scant hair for weeks, so not a leaf on a tree or a blade of grass in the pasture shimmers. The clock hand hangs at two minutes to three and she's liable to let them hang there till we rust. You sit solid and can't budge, you can't walk or move to relieve the strain of sitting, you can't swallow and you can't breathe. The only thing you can move is your eyes and there's nothing to see but petrified Acutes across the room waiting on one another to decide who's play it is. The old Chronic next to me has been dead six days, and he's rotting to the chair. And instead of fog sometimes she'll let a clear chemical gas in through the vents, and the whole ward is set solid when the gas changes into plastic.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger

Nitocris likes this.
  16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Through the walls come horses screaming and cannon fire.
    Either a brave, stubborn southern belle is trying to keep the Union army from burning the apartment next door, or somebody's television is too loud.
    Down through the ceiling comes a fire siren and people screaming that we're supposed to ignore. Then gunshots and tyres squealing, sounds we have to pretend are okay.
    They don't mean anything. It's just television.An explosion vibrates down from the upstairs. A woman begs someone not to rape her.
    It's not real. It's just a movie. We're the culture that cried wolf.
    These drama-holics. These peace-ophobics.

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

guerillabedlam and Nitocris like this.
  17. savageseven

savageseven Guest

18. "Perhaps the constable was right. It is better doubtless to believe much unreason and a little truth than to deny for denial's sake truth and unreason alike, for when we do this we have not even a rush candle to guide our steps, not even a poor sowlth to dance before us on the marsh, and must needs fumble our way into the great emptiness where dwell the mis-shapen dhouls. And after all, can we come to so great evil if we keep a little fire on our hearths and in our souls, and welcome with open hand whatever of excellent come to warm itself, whether it be man or phantom, and do not say too fiercely, even to the dhouls themselves, 'Be ye gone'? When all is said and done, how do we not know but that our own unreason may be better than another's truth? for it has been warmed on our hearths and in our souls, and is ready for the wild bees of truth to hive in it, and make their sweet honey. Come into the world again, wild bees, wild bees!"

19. is this Journal of the Plague Year?

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It's a quote from "A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century" by Barbara w Tuchman

Chapter: This is the End of the World: The Black Death.