Questions about Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by vinceneilsgirl, Jun 16, 2004.

1. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

1. Has anyone here been to the Anne Frank House? I'm a charitable supporter but have never been there. What's it like?

2. Ok this may or may not be true, but someone told me that ALL drugs are legal in the Netherlands, and that you can go to your physician and get fresh needles if you're a heroin addict. Is that true?

2. marko

marko Member

Hi there Vincenielsgirl,

Anne Frank house is the most visited attraction in Amsterdam - you have to be up early or you will be faced with a long wait.
    BTW - did you ever read the book? Monday - stayed at home, Tuesday - stayed at home, Wednesday - well you get the idea.
    Seriously now, it is worth visiting - it is just what you would expect really, a typically small Amsterdam house, but the history is worth reading.

All drugs are not legal in Holland - there is a very strong line taken by the Dutch authorities to the use of heroin, cocaine etc etc.
    What the Dutch do have though is a very sensible policy in that they realise whatever they do, whatever measures they take, people will always use illegal drugs. This has lead to many places (including doctors) providing clean needles for heroin addicts to prevent the spread of disease (HIV etc). There are also facilites available in some club venues that allow you to test Ecstasy and amphetamine for adulterants.
    Like I said - they realise people will always take these substances, they are ultimately sensible in helping people be as safe as possible whilst doing so.

Hope this helps and I hope you are able to visit this truely wonderful city one day.

3. canfordcliffs

canfordcliffs Banned

I queued for an age with Mother to see Ann Franks house but it started to rain so we dashed into

http://www.amsterdam-museums.com/museums/sex_museum.html

here instead which is situated in a house and featured a lady called Ann in a very frank way....so it was similar but different.

4. TheStoon

TheStoon Member

Yeah, Ann Franks house is awesome - hard to imagine what it must have been like for them.

Its a very solemn hour or so walking round it.

5. mafuman

mafuman Banned

My oma lives in australia but every so often she goes to amsterdam and i usually fly over to see her. One day around May, she starts talking about the occupation and what it was like on the first day when the germans invaded. The story is about how her mother gave her a note to take to an old german jewish couple that had moved to holland recently. On the way to their house she tells me she that she bumped into Anne (she calls her Anna) Frank, playing on the steps of her building. This was surprising. Apparently my oma and Anne Frank's older sister were friends. When you go to the house on the canal, there is a small statue of Anne Frank by the church on the corner. My oma will tell you that she had short hair, not long like the statue. Maybe one day she will tell me more...