Question...?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Angel_Headed_Hipster, May 23, 2004.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Hey Everybody! Ever Since i became a vegan, i went from 140 lbs. to 120 lbs. So i am pretty thin already, but i want to make sure i stay at 120 and don't gain any weight, and maybe even lose like, 2-3 lbs. SO my question is, I am 15 and weigh 120 lbs. So how many calories, grams of fat, etc. Should i consume in one day to keep from gaining weight.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

2. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Hi Dan,

First of all at age 15 your body is still growing, so don't try to stop that. You will more likely gain weight. It is natural. And since you don't seem to have a weight problem, I wouldn't worry about how many calories or fat grams you take in, I would simply eat healthy, since you are vegan, I am hoping that you make sure to get enough protien and actually eat veggies, rather than junk food. If you don't want to become overweight then make sure you lead an active lifestyle, walk when you have to go somewhere, play a sport etc. Don't just sit around. Keeping active is also good for your heart and lungs.

3. Andy73

Andy73 Member

How tall are you?

If you are between 5'7" and 5'9", 120lbs is probably too thin. You should be at least 135 if you are a male with an average frame, preferably 148.

Of course, if you are under 5'7" and have a small frame, 120 may not be a problem.

4. Andy73

Andy73 Member

Some people can have a tendency to greatly underestimate the amounts of food they require in a day to maintain their ideal body weight. They feel that they are really pigging out if they eat just the right amounts. Some people also feel huge if they are at their ideal weight, but they are just perfect.

Once, when I was 30lbs underweight due to being on a benzodiazepine for 12 years, I ended up seeing a registered dietician and the amounts and portions she recommended would never have occured to me on my own. The extent to which I was UNDEReating was absolutely amazing.

Currently I'm pretty close to my ideal body weight, a little under, though there are times when I feel that I'm huge and I think that I eat enormous portions. But not according to the scale and what my doctor says.

I'm 5'8" 142, my ideal weight is 148

5. Andy73

Andy73 Member

Of course I need not mention that there are those who eat huge amounts and feel that they don't eat very much at all. I think many people can develop misperceptions when it comes to weight and diet.

6. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

don't be too concerned with numbers. You need to eat a healthy balance of a variety of foods (excluding animal products, since you are vegan). Don't diet. Don't eat junk. Get moderate excercise and you should be fine. Just be sure that you don't exclude protein, calcium, iron, (other classic meat/dairy vitamins/minerals) from your diet.

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Dude, don't worry bout weight. I don't. I'm trying to vegan, so congratulations on a totally awesome decision!:D

But worry not about numbers, what's ur gender and height?