Question if I understand the consequences of my actions

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by Oren Franz, May 2, 2022.

1. Oren Franz

Oren Franz Newbie

As a person with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I am afraid that I could commit petty sexual crime without mens rea, because I don't understand some body languages very well, specifically body languages that are supposed to be simple to understand, and I don't understand mixed messages very well, even though it's obvious.

I get scared that I can't agree or disagree if I am being inappropriate, even when my friends say that I am a good friend to them.

I know that studies say that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but the problem is crime is a very broad term, and you need social skills to follow specific laws. Lacking social skills can highten the risk for petty criminal behavior, specifically related to invading boundaries.

I sometimes become violent and very stressed when I am in a completely different environment, and at the moment, I don't feel safe, but to others, I am seen as a criminal. It's embarrassing!

2. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

You seem to have only one message this one. I hope you did not get discouraged when no one replied.

I suggest you find that friend who you feel safe with trying things out with that has the understanding of your possible Reponses. I also highly recommend a safe word or action where EVERYTHING IMEDEATLY STOPS! Sex is very intense for a lot of people especially the orgasm also a lot have embarrassment or safety concerns if you are not use to it or them. To ease this, you could have clothed foreplay until ready to go forward or over video chat. There are many ways. Think outside the box.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

On the Spectrum or not, I'd suggest talking with any potential partner. Express your fears and confusion. Create space where they're safe to express theirs. Ask for clarity. "Am I understanding you correctly?" "Is this OK?" "What do you want?" (helpful hint: their needs and desires are just as valid as your own, and people like it when others acknowledge that fact). Remember that not only do folks on the Spectrum have difficulty reading other's non-verbal cues, neurotypical folks have difficulty interpreting theirs as well. You might be surprised at how many people are relieved to talk explicitly about what's going on between them instead of having to play a body language guessing game. If you're starting to feel overstimulated and/or overwhelmed, say so, and ask for what you need to stabilize. Joseph's suggestion of a "safe word", a word that when uttered by either party brings everything to a full stop, is a very good idea.
    Feeling safe, in all the permutations of the word, is an absolute necessity for intimacy to arise. Fear is a major turn-off, and violence of any sort; emotional, verbal, or physical, regardless of why, is an absolute deal-breaker. If violence is an issue for you, that's something which you need to work out in therapy first before potentially exposing anyone to any risk.

Josephinelcajon likes this.