question for you all

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by jackovgoesjacko, May 22, 2004.

1. jackovgoesjacko

jackovgoesjacko Member

hey, I have a compaq (HAHA) so-called laptop that my mom staked out at a thrift sale for 50 bucks. it runs on windows 95. I am i can one, possibly update the software, and two, get an internet connection. The laptop has versions of AOL and Netscape already installed, so I'm assuming there is a way to get internet access.

THANKS

2. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

First thing you'll need to look for, is a MODEM connector. (On the rear) Next, is a CD-ROM drive. (Usually on the side.) If it has those two things, you're good to go. You can do both Upgrade Windows, AND get on the web. If it has neither? You got a $50 door-stop. (Well, maybe a word processor IF it has a printer port.)

3. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Look for PCMIA ports...if so, you have pretty good expandability; most notably, DSL Internet OR DVD-RW...one at-a-time. ;)

4. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As for upgrading, figure out what kind of procesor and how much memory it has.

5. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Press the [Pause]-Key (upper right of the keyboard) at startup, when there's a line saying "Detecting IDE-Drives...". Now write down the type of the processor etc. Press [Return], the screen becomes black, now you have to be quick: A table appears with lots of hardware information, immediatley press [Pause] again. Now try to look for "Modem" or "PCMCIA" or "COM Port". If you find nothing like this, well - than your laptop doesn't have the possibility to connect tot the internet ;)

6. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Unless he has two slots. My old Tosh had two.
    (But! I never used them, so I could be wrong. YOU would probably know better than me.) :)