question for the dread heads...

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by inbloom, May 13, 2004.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

hey all,

you might know me. maybe not. anyways, i've had my dreads for about a year and a half now, but i got a problem.

some, most of, my dreads are doing pretty well. they're getting nice n' tight n' thick n' all that. but, then, there's the few odd ones that just didn't take to dreading as well as the others. i'm sure everyone has a few. problem is, mine are on top, so they're pretty visible, and leave big spaces in between dreads.

i've done this method before, to fix small dreads, but some people think it's kind of stupid, or unethical or whatever. for one or two tiny dreads i had, i cut off one of my better dreads, one that was udnerneath the rest, and i sewed it to the tiny one. it came out looking really nice, and made my dreads look all the more complete.

so my question to you is, what do you think of this? dread surgery, one might call it. i have one or two more that i want to do this to, but i just kinda wanted to know what people thought of it.

peace

2. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

wow, that is so crazy and trippy.
    I'd be wayyy too scared to go anywhere near my dreads with a pair of scissors.

3. inbloom

i was once, too. until one of my smaller dreads needed some assistance. and i made sure i cut off a dread that was underneath a bunch, so it's not too noticable.

4. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

don't worry 'bout a thing......'cause everything little thing is goin' be alright

5. Odessa

Odessa Member

sorry, ima dick

6. inbloom

who said anything about being self concious??? i just want to fix the dreads that aren't doing too well.

7. serra

serra tentacle girl

hey man i think that's totally kuel.

people are all about dreads being natual and not worrying about them and all that but if it makes you feel better to alter your dreads then do it my friend! my dreads are like my friends and they want to look their best and be happy and sometimes they want some help with it im there for it!

i mean, i live in a consumeristic, capitalist, evil society. i say damn the man, but then the man asks for rent and if i don't have a job to make the money im living on the streets and that means no more hip forums!! i guess i mean i dunno, at least you are working on your dreadies yourself and not going to a salon !!

i think it's neat. sorry it's late and i should sleep.

8. inbloom

thank you :)

9. metro

metro self-banned

I would say that anyone who thinks it's unethical (or even cares at all) is a freak[​IMG]. Do watcha gotta do (I've seen your pics and you're doin fine[​IMG])

10. inbloom

hey, thanks alot. :)

11. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I don't give a shit, I mean like the point of dreads for me atleast was not having to care for your hair so much, I think like, who cares, it's hair, especially, dreads its like.. ugh, no dreads, or ugh loose hairs? w/e

I've got tonnes of way weird dreads. It's unique that way.

12. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

haha, i dont see a problem with it, but ive never heard of that before. usually when i have some really small dreads i try to combine em with others.. i did that today actually. i braided three little ones together and then wrapped em in hemp (to help em form). my dreads are all weird sizes but hey i think that makes em look neat. yours are really nice.

13. inbloom

it's cool to have weird dreads, but i have some that are just weak. like, hella weak. and, i dunno. i get alot of comments, people saying they're the best dreads they've ever seen. which is cool, but i notice the small shit.

and sarah, yeah, i combine dreads all the time. i just elastic them together and let them go. but, i find threading them together really helps. thread's basically like hair, so it doesn't make too much of a difference.

i think from now on, though, i'm just gunna leave them as they are. i've done enough work on them, it's time to just let them be.

14. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

Dosent sound so bad one dread needed help the other one helped thats what they have each other. =)

15. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

i've never heard of that before. mine grow togehter all the time...they all used to be pretty small, and in 3 1/2 years most of them have gotten pretty fat. as far as what's better for your locks, i'd say weaving two together is probably better for them, but hey whatever works for you....

16. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

that just sounds bizarre.... i mean, i ain't gonna get all dreddier than thou about it man... just curious what it looks like. seems there would be a drasticly odd look where the top of the cut dread ends and where yer non dreading hair joins it. to be honest... i'd suggest givin yer less dreadie locks a run of back combing a lil bit to see if you can get the roots going better. good luck!

17. Jonsey_Babe

Jonsey_Babe Member

all in due time my friend all in due time just remember it's not just a hairstyle it's a lifestyle

18. Cre

Cre Senior Member

Isn't dreading your hair shunning vanity? I say leave em alone and let them do what they are supposed to.

Jus my .02 :D

19. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

I should try and sew my dreads back on, once I get my roots going.

When I had wimpy dreads pop up, I just sewed two together. Then they looked like one big ol' feisty one.

And once I used natural human hair tracks, backcombed them, and sewed them to the bottom of my dreads as extensions. It worked pretty good, save for the little bump where the track seam was attached.

20. shmevan

shmevan Member

I don't have my dreads anymore. They started to stink too bad after four years. But, what you should do is tie the loose pieces to your dreads with rubber bands. Before you know it, they'll be one with the rest.