Question for singers

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Any Color You Like, May 25, 2007.

1. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

I am a guitarist but I want to learn sing well. I'm already able to sing quite well in tone as I have a relatively good ear but I don't have a very strong volume. If any singers could give tips/exercices to increase the volume of my voice it would be nice.

Thanks

2. Gisabelle

Gisabelle Member

Do lots of voice warm ups/exercises with the piano or something if you can just going up and down the scale. You may be able to find some examples of exercises on the internet maybe? I'd do some searches. But yeah, that is one way to make your voice stronger and to have more volume.

3. Riggs

Riggs Banned

I sing, but not a very good teacher. Turn up the volume when you listen to your CD's at home. Try to sing that way. Also, bring it up from the rib cage. I remember they had us laying on the floor doing our exercises. If I can remember more, I'll let you know.

4. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I find that singing with my mouth open wide increases the output of the song. I brings the music out from the chest. Get lots of air in your lungs and let it out with your singing. That's all I got. Cheers.

5. guitarman

guitarman Member

You might want to invest in some singing lessons. Dont spend more than ten bucks though it isn't worth it. You will find after your first lesson or so that are drastically improving.

6. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

guitarman - i have taken voice for years at $50 an hour and it has transformed me from a mediocre vocalist into a professional singer... it really depends on whom you are taking from. i learned classical voice - good technique is priceless - and it translates into every genre of singing.

there is so much more to singing than merely being on pitch and singing loudly. opening your mouth can only take you so far. if you still want to have your voice in 10 years, you need to learn to breathe from your diaphragm and project out of your "mask," or cheekbones. don't use your throat/neck muscles to move your voice, and always keep your tongue arched and at the front of your mouth. lift your soft palate by getting in the "yawn" position ... your nostrils should flare. relax your jaw and breath deeply, as though through a straw, and allow your ribs to expand. don't raise your shoulders when you breath. kindof a lot to think about, i know, but if you keep practicing good technique it will eventually come naturally and you won't ever wear out your voice by straining too hard. i hope this helps you out

7. DefyxGravity13

DefyxGravity13 Member

use the muscles in your stomach to sing. It makes the volume stronger and your notes longer. At least that is what I was taught.And ALWAYS do voice warm ups. Don't sing if you have a sore throat either, it ruins your voice. I'll try to remember more and let you know.

8. Faye

Faye Member

Zilla pretty much said it all. Classical training is very imporant because that foundation will teach you about the facial mask, how to breath from your drphriam and about focused foward sound. Skills you can able to any genere of music. Lessons are exepensive but so worth it they helped me alot alot.

9. WoodRat

WoodRat Banned

If you're the forgiving sort:

Drink lots of whiskey
    Eat lots and lots of chix out. I mean by the dozens.
    Shoot lots of junk, take lots of hullucinogens
    and have shouting matches with fukwitz using loudspeakers until they are shitting bricks.
    That'll do wonders for your drive AND capacity for optimum phonic volume output.
    A strengthened labito couldn't hurt either, but thats after you made those cunts cum 3 or four times first.

10. shelly-welly

shelly-welly Member

well, your vocal chords--i believe are the most controllable instrument you can play--depending on what music you like--say i like grunge--heavy rock but, where you can actually understand the lyrics instead of screaming and fucking up your vocals--but for me, when im in my studio--and i have the music blasting is when i feel most at home with myself, i used to be embarrassed but not anymore--ive tailored my voice to what i want it to sound like--scream! fucking sing from your heart like noone is watching--and youll get a soar throught--give it a couple days and scream again--your voice will get stronger and youll learn to project more--listen to diffent types of music too--its not copying a band when you try and sing exactly like them because after experimenting alot youll develope your own style--and for gods sake make it unique! it seems like everyone sounds the same these days! good luck ~peace~

11. WoodRat

WoodRat Banned

With all the civil-cultural development that transpires within society, That is a bound inevitability.
    Less look at it that way, and understand, not only the phonic-pheonome layouts, yet the concentrate, convergencies of past artist/doners, who strike the foundation for the future which will undoubtedloy hold sonic conglomerations of heavily merged originals to spin off hyper-psycidellic revisions that make the mind begin to be stimulated at an even more complex measure.

But good advice too!