Question for people in the Azores

Discussion in 'Portuguese' started by arcticfunky, Apr 10, 2010.

1. arcticfunky

arcticfunky Member

Hi everyone, next summer my girlfriend and I are going to be flying to Sao Miguel and staying there for a few weeks. I have few questions about the island so if anyone could help that'd be awesome.

1. We are going to be attempting to hitchike as transportation. Does anyone have any experiencing hitching there?

2. If possible and if the weather is nice enough we would like to camp out for most of the time, any thoughts on that?

3. How easy is it to find weed, i think its called macona in portuguese,and things like LSD and shrooms. Are they around or impossible to find? I think it would we amazing to trip on the beautiful island.

4. We're about 20 yrs old, so what do young people do in their free time there?

Thanks everyone :D

2. coffeescent

coffeescent Member

It's "maconha", actually, not macona. cona is actually a quite bad word. Similar to c*nt :D
    Other portuguese words for weed are "erva" and "marijuana".
    I wouldn't say they're impossible to find there, but it won't be the easiest task.

I've never been to Azores, but I have a friend there and I think I could give you his msn contact if you'd like.

You'd be going in 2010, right?

3. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

4. arcticfunky

arcticfunky Member

I plan on going in 2011, if your friend can speak English then i'd like his screenname thanks. And that Green trippin camp looks awesome!!! Is that an annual thing cause i will definitely go to that.

5. Gotmilkas

Gotmilkas Guest

pode-se falar de droga nos posts? o.o

6. ForestSilence

ForestSilence Member

Hey there, i'm from São Miguel island, actually living in the mainland. :)
    About hitchhiking; there should be no problem to get a ride when you're off the main cities or villages. Just don't count on it to be easy.

You can camp in a lot of beautiful places! Some of them are free of charge. The weather is quite nice in the summer but a little harsh in the winter. And very unpredictable. For instance, sometimes you get a week of rain during the summer and other you get a full sunshine day and then it rains at night. Overall temperatures are quite good all year.

Weed could be an issue since you have to be watching for people that are smoking it, it is illegal to sell it but ok for consumption although authorities may confiscate it form you. There are some people that grow weed there outdoors, you just have to get to know people there and start asking. We call it Erva, Ganza and other names, but everybody will know what you're talking about when you say 'weed' :)
    LSD can be found but with a lot more difficulty, shrooms are very rare. Maybe you're lucky enough to find someone that sells everything. DO NOT eat the shrooms you find in nature, they are all poisonous or inedible species.

People in their 20s do exactly what everybody does with that age. They go to clubs, bars, hang around with each other. Almost everybody drinks alcohol over there. You should be open to meet people in the city of Ponta Delgada at night. Feel safe walking on the streets at anytime, there should be not much trouble since it's a quite peacefull place to be.

Tips: When you meet anyone ask for psychedelic trance party's, there are some quite often in the middle of forests, by lakes and stuff like that. Don't expect to see flyers about them. There is always a major party in summer starting on early August. Summer is the greatest time for you to go there. If you meet the right people you will have a great time.

7. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

If you make berth in Horta, be sure to visit the legendary Peter Cafe Sport.

8. Shanewashere

Shanewashere Guest

I'm headed there this summer and I'm looking to meet fellow pot smokers to help me out. Anyone?

Going to Sao Miguel.

9. sao mi-stoned

sao mi-stoned Guest

did anyone have any luck finding weed in sao miguel? Im gonna be there all of august teaching english so i would love find a hook up there. and also, has anyone been to these psychedelic trance parties?? sounds bad ass.