Question for mountain dulcimer players

Discussion in 'Country, Bluegrass and Old Time' started by Mert no.2, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Mert no.2

Mert no.2 Member

I just got given an old dulcimer and have spent a little time restoring it to full working order, and am now looking at using on some recordings. Trouble is I can't seem to find a way of mic'ing it up that gets a nice loud recording without too much attack from the pick or my nails. Any tips?

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't play, but I'm a volunteer at a folk music venue and I see them externally miked with only a few exceptions (one was designed for internal pick ups and had a spot for a cord).
    Try calling the Denver Folklore Center (a sister to Swallow Hill) or the Pickin'Parlor (both are online so you could drop an email) or even the southern Folkways center in Memphis.
    they'll know who can answer that.

3. mark echo

mark echo Member

i played one on a recording and we sort of did an ambient room micing with one of those big dynamic range deals. it came out pretty decent, but it was kind of down in the mix, just for a little flavor.