Question about Mary and Joseph

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by feministhippy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

2. velvet

velvet Banned

Hey.. wait.. I never said that the Catholic Bible is the one and only.. I only said that it would be kinda nice that if you want to hold christian discussions (and no doubt will encounter Catholics while doing so) that you know a bit about what is in their book.. why is that so hard to see?

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

I was disputing your claim that Protestants "cut out" the apocrypha.

If Catholics must rely on an obscure passage from the apocrypha to defend their dubious belief in Mary's perpetual virginity, then they have no case.

4. velvet

velvet Banned

Good thing you are so eloquent in disrespecting someone elses believes or I would've surely thought you were nothing more than a fundy.

There are some people on this board, probably younger than you that share your faith but also have a lot more respect for other people than you seem to have.. you should take a lesson from them.

5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Except that the generic term suggenes (used to describe the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth) is not used in reference to Jesus' brothers; the specific term adelphos is used instead.

See http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/cri/cri-jrnl/web/crj0169a.html.

Compelling.

6. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

This is one of those issues some Roman Catholics seem to want to 'fight for' but honestly there is no reason to believe Mary and Joseph 'did not' consumate their marriage and live 'normal' lives couples would.

There definately is every reason to believe James is Jesus brother.

There are some who have tried to quibble in the Greek and say it was the word 'Brother' which could mean 'Cousin' too.

And although I cant think of the Greek word itself, I recall that it is specifically the word used to describe an actual physical blood brother born of the same parents - and not used to include a 'cousin'.

Speaking of which.. am i way off or wasnt John the Baptist related to Jesus?
    Cousins I thought?

In Israel you can still find John the Baptists descendents celebrating every year (in the river of Jordan no less).
    As far as any geneologist or historian can tell.. the family has been living in that area for 2000+ years and has claimed to be John the Baptists bloodline for as far back as anyone knows.

Its kinda wierd to think you would meet some modern day guy who was actually a great-great-great Grandson of Mary eh!

7. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

You mean like the titular Jewish royal family, the Hapsburgs?

8. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

Heh.. I was hoping someone else here would know?

They are just families that live in Israel and seem pretty much convinced they have always been descended from John the Baptists family.

They dont 'claim' anything and dont seem interested in advertising it or anything. They have always been this way for as far back as anyone can tell.

They have what is basically a 'family reunion' every year at the River of Jordan.

??

9. BlackGuardXIII

Sorry, I thought you meant the living descendents of Jesus and Mary Magdalene.

10. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

As far as I know there is no such people.

You might be thinking of a fiction novel called 'The Davinci Code'?

11. BlackGuardXIII

Heard of it, never read it. I assume it must be well written, as it is so popular. I never read 'the celestine prophecies' either, and never saw " the blair witch project."
    Reality is wild enough for me.
    I have read two books that contain a lot of solid points supporting your statement. Maybe Flavius Josephus did actually make the whole thing up....
    I believe that Yeshua did exist, but that is just a personal belief, and could be wrong.

12. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Personal flame against Josh Leonard- Got me kicked out of school by narcing me out in 8th grade (sent back to regular school) after he had a guilt trip and told a counselour about us breaking into a house. His brother's all right though, although he likes to shit in stairwells for some reason (thinks its funny).