Question about Canadian money

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Trickster's Child, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

As I've mentioned in my other threads in this forum, I'm visiting the Toronto area for a fortnight (only 12 days now! :D). Anyways I went and got my Dollars today and theres something I was wondering about them. I've bene given a load of 50s, 20s, 10s and a few 5s. Now apart form the 5s i've been given 2 versions of each of the other notes (for example some of the 20s have a Loon on them, and the others have some kind of Native art of a boat on). Are the old ones still used or have i been ripped off? Also the 5s I've been given don't appear to have a watermark or anything on them to show that their not counterfit :confused:

Also just out of intrest, do any stores there not accept 50 Dollar notes? Here in the UK a lot of places won't accept 50 Pound notes....

2. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

hahaha....:) a valid question!
    the old $20 bills are still cool to use, they're just gradually going out of circulation. all our money is getting a funky upgrade.
    don't worry about the $5's.
    i don't think five dollar bills have much counterfeiting protection on them, from what i can remember; they're only $5's i guess.

as far as $50 dollar notes go, you should be fine, but if you go into a small business they sometimes won't accept, or will just ask if you have anything smaller. really, though, you won't have any trouble.
    just go into another shop and ask for change - canucks are friendly, and they'll be happy to help a british traveller out. :D
    have fun in toronto! don't forget, $1 = loonie and $2 = twoonie. LOL

peace!

3. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

Thats SO appropiate for so many of my Canadian friends :p

Thanks for the quick answers :)

4. nitemarehippygirl

LOL..... in the best way, i'm sure. :D
    no worries man.

5. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

They're called bills, not notes.

MANY places will not accept anything larger than a $20.

The $2 and $1 are coins. Which sucks. But being a Briton you're used to lots of coinage.

If you get USian change (USian dime) it's no hassle. Try using a CDN dime in the US and it will be thrown at you.

The loonie is so called because it has a loon on the front of it with the queen on the back. The twonie as a play on loonie. It has the queen on one side with a bear behind (that, spoken works as a joke)

6. VillageSam

VillageSam Member

Being born in Scotland and then growing up in Toronto I can tell you right now you are going to love toronto. It is an awsome city with so much to see and do. It's almost overwhelming. If you take a cab(taxi) they wont take a fifty dollar bill, so make sure you have smaller bills on you. I hope you have the greatest time when you get there. You have to go downtown to Yonge St. at night, its so exciting. Have a super trip my friend!!!! Peace and love to you.

7. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

I'm staying with my girlfriend who recently got her G2 license, so cabs arn't gonna be a worry ;)
    Whats there at Yonge St thats worth seeing? Things planned for Toronto are shopping, the zoo, centre island, the cn tower (which im being forced to go up by the girlfriend, i hate heights! :() and depending on the kindda money she has left after the anime convention shes going to the weekend before i get there we might be going ot this place where you have dinner whilst watching a jousting tournyment which sounds really cool :)

Im treating her to a weekend at Niagara Falls over her birthday weekend as well. She knows about that, but what she doesnt know is I'm gonna propose to her while we watch the fireworks over the falls on her birthday :D

8. TheMistress

TheMistress Senior Member

some stores except 50s others do not, and you didnt get ripped off some of the old bills are still circulating, I get them from time to time in my cash. As well the change will always have a pic of the queen on the back, thats how you know its real:)

9. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

FYI, it is TECHNICALLY illegal for any store or business to refuse to take a $50. It's legal tender, made so by the Canadian Government. If the Government makes it, stores have to accept it. They can scan to check if it's counterfit, and if so, they can obviously refuse it, but they can't refuse to take it if it's actual real money. Unless, of course, they can't make the change required back from the $50.

Notice I said LEGALLY... $50 get refused because people don't know that they can't be refused. Used to manage a busy restuarant... only reason I know.

10. alex714

alex714 To the Left

actually, most places dont except 100 dollar bills
    even still, conterfit detectors are becoming more common to avoid the hassle of not taking 100 dollar bills.
    but most definitly they take 50 dollar bills. you really dont know what youre talking about at times.

11. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

you should also visit the ROM (royal ontario museum) and bata's shoe museum. Ok, I'm weird, but the shoe museum just celebrated it's tenth anniversary by closing down all it's retail stores in Canada :p I used to work for Bata, that's how I know this irrelevant crap

12. tommyboy487

tommyboy487 Member

lots of places wont take old 100s and 50s... but youll have a hard time finding somewhere that wont take a new 50.

13. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

Please dont tell me that means I have $300 I cant spend :eek: (I haent acutally got any 100s, but quite a few 50s)

14. nitemarehippygirl

you'll be fine, trickster. i don't know what irongoth is talking about; it's quite rare that a fifty dollar bill won't be accepted nowadays, and if for some reason a merchant asks you for something smaller, it's quite easy to go into the next store and sweetly ask for change, or just change some fifties at a bank. you'll be fine, don't sweat it.

peace

15. spooner

spooner is done.

No stores give out change unless you buy something. City people are fucked like that.

16. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

i heard form some of my friends that we are getting a five dollar coin....any truth behind that?

17. tommyboy487

tommyboy487 Member

doubt it... i would flip though i hate coinage

18. nitemarehippygirl

hahaha..... any more coinage and i'm going to need a purse with wheels.

19. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

20. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i think they ditched the plans to introduce a $5 coin for the present