putting your children in the hands of a known/accused/supposed pedophile

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cerridwen, Jun 27, 2006.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Don't ask me how this came up in conversation... but a couple friends and I the other day were talking about pedophiles, and how Micheal Jackson was brought to court on two separate occasions for molesting children.

Now, as a parent, if you knew that he was accused once of piddling little kids, would you seriously trust him to babysit your kids? I certainly wouldn't. There's a reason why sex offenders have to register.

But that's just me. The parents in these sorts of situations have to be partially to blame, somehow thinking it's ok to leave your kids in the care of someone who's a bit too fond of your kids....

What do you think?

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I think there is a huge difference between a pedophile and a sex-offender.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I don't, but that's just me. Pedophilia is considered a sex crime. Well, if you follow through with it and actually start molesting kids and whatnot.

4. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Never, never, never. Although the said pedophile might have undergone extensive rehabilitation therapy and may never potentially harm another child again, I just couldn't put my children in a position where it could still be a possibility. I would never be able to live with myself if something were to indeed happen, and I could have prevented it by keeping my child out of harm's way, so-to-speak.

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

In a world of options I would say morst people would not likely take an option of more danger over less for thier kids. If you have assorted sitters to choose from why would you choose a possible problem? I would have to say I would not desire my kids to be in or around the dangers of a pedophile or even an x.

6. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

there is a suspected child-lover in my area. He lives in beside the "low rental" housing... lots of single working moms. Am sure its paradise for him. The mom's have no control over their sons, and are too busy to chase them around. So where do the kids go? Yep... over to the Child-lovers house.

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

isn't this topic a bit ridiculous :D

8. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Welcome to random thoughts and the hip forums ;)

9. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Been there, got molested.

10. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Well a good friend of mine (hes an older gentleman, His daughters are my age, hes actually more like a Father Figure to me) has recently been accused if molesting a child many years ago, I dont belive its true, I know its not true!!! Deep in my heart I just know, This man has been nothing but a great person, He will be going to jail for this, Its a hard case to win, So unfortuantly if some one accuses someone of it their guilty no matter if its true or not, I understand having to keep the children safe, but this has ruined an innocent mans life, I have know this man since I was pretty young and Never once has he touched me in an inappropriate way. I dont know where Im going with this responce at all, but I feel better having said it! Just remember not all people accused are guilty! But this is a crime that once you have been accused, not even charged, just accused, You are guilty in they eyes of almost everyone.

11. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I would think that is because the alternative is worse. People who don't know the accused personally, have to make a judgement on what they hear.... I take no chances with my children.

Yes, I judge others when it comes to my kids safety. I am not going to burn anyone's house down, but I won't leave them with people I don't trust.

12. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

How can a mere "sexual desire" be considered a crime???

I am pretty sure you have to actually DO something other than just think it or fantasize about it.

At least I HOPE we haven't moved into the era of "thought crimes" just yet.

13. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I'm pretty sure I have enough friends who aren't pedophiles to handle it. [​IMG]

But if it was a really absurd charge, and the case got thrown out of court, and I had known the person for a long time, I might think differently.

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I'm sure the NSA would enjoy this on their reading list.

15. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

We are working on the "future offenders" See like alot of countries we wage war on, not that they have acted against us but rather they pose the threat of maybe in the future of a threat. So I guess if you come from a poor family and the criteria is there for some youths who might commit murder, theft ect then I guess we will bust them before they commit the crimes on the grounds the patterns are correct.

I mean this as a joke but kinda scarey it may not be in the future.

16. fritz

fritz Heathen

No. Never.
    Even just the title sex offender alone means you'd be putting yourself in an awkward position. Because who isn't going to ask you why you left your kid with a known sex-offender if something bad does in fact happen?

17. fritz

fritz Heathen

Ooooh, no shit.. What scares me is the study of genetic pre-dispositions.. Not just pertaining to this particular topic either.

18. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

this thread seems to come up alot in different forms and seems the same reaction comes about too.

19. seancourt

seancourt Free Your Mind

i think pedophiles are worse, i think they should just be thrown in a ditch and shot.

20. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Yeah, and what if it turned out their was prosecutorial misconduct, and you killed someone innocent?

Vigilantism is pretty dumb, especially when you just want to get revenge on someone who's probably sick to begin with.