purple stairway

Discussion in 'Music' started by alice_d_millionaire, Aug 19, 2005.

1. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

which do you prefer... john bonham (led zeppeilin) or mitch mitchell (jimi hendrix experience)? and, uh, WHY?

2. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

I'm definately going with Bonzo on this one. Moby Dick was a highlight of his creativity, even when it wasn't always that exciting. Plus, he had more variety to deal with just because of the band he played in.

3. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

The solo in the live version of moby dick is just phenominal.

4. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

Those are tons of "live versions" to it. [​IMG]

5. JungleFungus

JungleFungus Member

Bonham. Mitchell was great, too, but Hendrix obviously was the center of that band. John Bonham was a huge part of the sound of Led Zeppelin, and was notorious in Britain even before Zeppelin joined.

Plus, you've gotta love a guy who ate 27 bananas right before a show, ran around naked on stage before someone else's show, owned a bull farm, and coated his drums with aluminum foil.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

thats like having to choose between, i dont know... :p

But Jimmy Page was no Hendrix, and Mitchell did a fucking amazing job keeping rhythm for him.. so there's my vote.

7. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

no way... i like better a smart cat as drummer ...i'm not a fan of fat dinosaurs...

8. music-lover

music-lover Member

I MUST go with John Bonham.....I have respect for all musicians...especially drummers.....but.....Bonzo was something else.....he was.......different..not only does he play in my favourite band...but he's extremely talented. So my vote definitely goes to Bonzo! Led Zeppelin Rule!

9. whiskeymysticsman

whiskeymysticsman Member

Mitchell was by far a more skilled drummer than Bonzo but sometimes skills arent exactly what you need. I think Bonzos feel for the drums can never be replicated so my vote goes for John Bonham.

10. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

Bonzo was the reason i started playing the drums. and although Mitchell was a more skilled drummer, he couldn't hold a light to Bonzo in my opinion.

11. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

If Mitchell was more skilled, how could he not "hold a light" to him?

I like your logic. :rolleyes:

12. localhippy

localhippy Senior Member

no one can compare to bonzo, MAYBE just maybe neil peart (he was more technical). Good god was bonzo crazy