punks

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by chrismith, Jun 10, 2006.

1. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

eh???
    basically, i dont regard american punk as punk, as punk to me is entirely different from american punk.

sex pistols got pretty damn high in the charts, anyone saying they're not punk (i know some do, so, um, just shut up or something)

If eminem stirred shit up, changed people, and pissed people off, would he be punk?

2. Jahagafut

Jahagafut Member

Because we're dirty and dance!!!DANCE DNACE DN ACE!!!!...>_>..My finger slipped.

3. satirul

satirul Member

around here almost all subcultures hate hippies.punks,metalheads,goth types,"gangstas"(yeah,what a joke!),etc.,etc.

i usually get along very well with punks,despite many argue with me about the "<flower-power sign>=<anarchy sign>" inscription on my t-shirt.
    i find the difference between the two ideologies to be remarkably small.
    although most are nice people,some are very elitist.as far as i know that's kinda opposed to punk ideology.i've met only one politically and ideologically informed punk,my ex girlfriend (we complemented each other perfectly.she used my soap for her mohawk and i had no use for it anyway :p .too bad she never accepted to have sex with me wearing my hippie-glasses).

as i type this i'm planning with some friends to hunt down and chain to a tree some punk whom i've got a grudge with.tomorrow we're buying the chain and locks.he's gonna become a "tree hugger" wether he likes it or not.and yeah,if he resists i'll use violence and enjoy it.and shave his precious mohawk too:D

4. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

i actually got into 60s music and hippie...dom (is that right?) through punk... lol I was always into ska punk like less than jake and when it disappeared and everyone started listening to death/goth metal and emo i knew it wasn't my thing at all and wanted to hear what young people were listening to before punk and angry/violent music like that in general. i was pleasantly surprised! =D

5. prismatism

prismatism loves you

see, just try to tell me you're not being an elitist bastard. you KNOW you are. you telling me i'm wrong makes you more punk than me... right? and the fact that you used to word bollocks, and spell your "yer".

if you do your own thing, when you want, doesn't that allow you the freedom to... um... do what you want?

green day did not sell because they were sexy, danced, wore the right clothes, sounded like everyone else, or paid someone to write their songs. they have not changed as a band since kerplunk.

the only difference is they got really, really famous.

i'm not trying to crown green day the kings of punk, i'm just trying to figure out why self proclaimed punks hate them.

you still haven't said anything to counter my point, except for tell my i'm wrong and don't know what i'm talking about... which proves another point i made.

6. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i'd say so. but that's where i start to get confused about what punk even means. because by those qualifications, bush is punk, and i'm not going to say that's entirely untrue.... i always thought punk was going against the grain, doing what you think is right even if nobody else thinks so. the only thing that doesn't make him punk is that he is not self-made and doesn't think for himself. but there are a lot of "real punks" like that.

whatever. it seems just as stupid as emo, to me.

7. spooner

spooner is done.

claiming originality as a trait for a subculture makes me laugh.

8. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i love you.

your impersonaters are never quite as right.

9. spooner

spooner is done.

yeah. i'm so smart, it scares me.

10. shockseventyfour

shockseventyfour Member

I don't think anyone knows what punk means anymore. I'm friends with "punk" people. They look different and listen to different music, but they have a lot of very "hip" values. The ones I know are all against killing or harming animals for food, rights for all people, yno the same things the earthy ppl are saying. They have more extreme political views, yes. I don't really like punk music, but yno a lot of punks are into ska these days, which seems to be more then three chords. Rock and Roll was three chords for a long time, too. well not that long. and they usauly did more then just scream over those three chords. It's continously being debated here about what a hippie is, its hard to generalize that punks hate hippies.

11. prismatism

prismatism loves you

haha funny story. i was in wisconsin at a party and some punk kid named fat john is lurking around by the windows, in the snow, drunk as fuck, with no shoes. so we go out and see him, and try to help him put his boots on, and he goes, "i love my boots! i'm not a fucking prep, i'm a fucking punk, i wear fucking boots! i'm a PUNK!!!"...

he couldn't figure out which was the right and which was the left, and the poor guy must of been seconds away from frostbite. but he had the green mohawk, the studded leather and plaid jacket with the misfits patch, and the plaid pants with chains... i'll admit he was pretty cool.

12. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

I don't see why there is such debate. A hippie is just someone who doesn't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Being 'hip' is knowing what's going on. That's all.

13. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

Hrmmm...

The Punk movement was around a musical movement, as opposed to the music just something that came about witht he movement...

And its a genre of music. There are quite genuine musical differences between new american punk and old brit punk. Its because the punk i know and like it old brit punk that i see that as punk. Is this eliteist? Is it eliteist to think that a band is not punk?

Because if yes, every single person out there is eliteist, as im sure as hell they wouldnt define the fast food rockers as punk.

14. CadenceKid

CadenceKid Member

I dont like to put myself into a catagory.

15. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

Amerikan punkz are scary and scared uv everything, very short on duh Hair, and long on duh black ugly uniform dark futilnezz that America haz become..
    Get hip an be hip to wutz cuul, like bein rite on with te bright flowy hippzy tinggy.

16. happy_kel

happy_kel thug life.

are we talkin.. the 'punk' as in genre or the 'punk' as in " I think Im about bad ass"?

17. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

Im talking genre terms