punks

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by chrismith, Jun 10, 2006.

1. drummer

drummer Member

i agree with u:)

2. prismatism

prismatism loves you

see... not to be mean, but that's kind of the attitude i was describing. to be punk, you have to know what isn't punk and talk about how not punk it is.

i don't really agree, i can't think of anything more punk than what green day did right before the election. it stirred shit up, and it changed people. it pissed people off. is it not punk just because people happened to like it?

3. prismatism

prismatism loves you

hurray [​IMG].

and by the way, i really like your hair.

4. drummer

drummer Member

thank yeah:)

5. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

poseurs adhere to 1977 ideals. Hippies dropped out and even if they wanted change, by 77 they had not effected it. Punks wanted to distinguish themselves and try to effect change. the two should be bretheren but the need to be hardcore makes youngster punks a little remiss. I find Older Punks have more in common with hippies than they do with younger punks.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Member

Well put.

Please elaborate on this point. I find it difficult to understand, yet it sounds like a very interesting perception and/or point of view...

7. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

punks, hippies, etc.

it's all the same.

8. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

what does a hippie want that a seasoned punk does not also want?

9. nananie

nananie Member

well everywhere there are a few rotten apples right. who think they hate hippies and/ cause they never thought about it why they do that. they just want to follow the thing that othere people say that makes them punk. well punk started as something that was like: show yourself, be yourself. and nowadays it seems to be bound by rules, be violent, have a mohawk, do this do that.

not everywhere, and not every punk thinks this way. and i think the punks who do think not realy hate hippies cause they have a lot in comment. only te most punks want to see some action, and hippies nowadays are not letting see really much action in the way punks like to see it. There is to less action these day's but that's an other story.

i think punks who can think beside being punk don't hate hippies or don't like hippies but have arguments for that (wich i think can not really be strong).

10. prismatism

prismatism loves you

the only difference i really see between hippies and punks, aside from stereoptypical fashion and music differences (which really don't define a person) is that punks have big fucking egos.

11. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

oh please, wake up and smell the coffee will ya?

Everything Greenday, for the year pre and post, American Idiot did was under the strict control of their record label.... with one aim, to get as much publicity as possible.

Here's how it works. Up until 2004 the big record labels would typically pick anywhere from three to ten of their signed and recording artists/bands, investing heavily in them and using their most powerful tool (publicity) and financial clout they promoted them....... and if 30% of those bands caught the public's ear..... it was enough, enough to turn a good profit from sales. If one or two albums slumped... they could live with that.

Greeday and Warner Bros changed all that, and imo ripped the heart out of the music industry in the process. Greenday and Warner Bros came to a deal where the record label would invest the majority of it's resources in American Idiot, pretty much ignoring the other bands on their label (who are prolly still wondering why their work is to be found in the bargain bins at walmart)... and in return Greenday agreed to play the publicity game to the max for Warner, the world tour, every tv and radio interview that could be lined up for them..... and yes, sadly, jumping on the political bandwagon too. Did you never wonder why American Idiot posters were practically everywhere and their music was never off the airwaves? I'll give you a clue, it's because they had one of the biggest players in the music promoting solely them.

It worked too, American Idiot was a huge success, worked for Coldplay too.... and it's probably defined how the music industry will work for at least the next decade.

Of course, it makes it all the more harder for any new/non-mainstream bands to get any decent sales and/or publicity...... but wot do greeday and Warner care? their banks accounts are groaning under the strain of all those dollars :)

Record companies hate two things ... bands that find success for themselves (there are about a dozen companies here screaming in frustration, because they didn't spot or sign a band called that Artic Monkeys at the mo') and artists that don't play the publicity game.... and Greenday have set a standard proving that if you want success..... you damn well better be prepared to stick your tongue firmly up the ass of your label's managing director.

There was hardly any original creativity in the mainstream media pre American Idiot..... now, there will be a lot less.

Greenday call themselves Punk? More like Anti-Punk imo.

12. nananie

nananie Member

depends...

13. SunshineTheAngryHipi

SunshineTheAngryHipi Member

Punks dont hate hippie. Hipsters hate hippies.

14. stebo32

stebo32 amanita monster

lmao... what a restricted mind ye have.

15. Oz!

care for a coffee? :)

16. stebo32

stebo32 amanita monster

LOL :D :p

17. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

Most punks I know don't hate hippies, they just like to make fun of them.

18. Oz!

*is impressed at the demonstration of depth and breadth of stebo32's mind ;)

Insanejester: No it wasn't :) (Iggy and the Stooges, Lou Reed etc etc were doing their thing about the same time).

19. prismatism

prismatism loves you

nothing you said about publicity or profits contradicts what i said. you said it as if it was news to me, but i know how that shit works. but it really doesn't matter what the record label does, the band writes the songs because they feel the urgency to express themselves. unless they're in it for the money... and wouldn't you think the three guys in green day were happy with the insane amount of fame and money they had BEFORE american idiot? they could have retired and lived happily without a care in the world. so why would anyone put so much effort into writing such great songs, and travelling around the world, trying to get their message everywhere by whatever means possible? yes, there was a lot of merchandise, these companies aren't stupid. they knew they could cash in on the popularity of the message. it's not like anyone was FORCED to buy that shit.

and you're contradicting yourself. you're saying that it's wrong, or at least not-punk, for a band to be on a major label... but that it's wrong for the major label to not focus it's attention on new bands, thereby making them mainstream.

and what the hell do you mean, no original creativity in the mainstream media? if you turn on VH1 or MTV or Fuse, you'll see more diversity and creativity and experimentation than we've had in the last ten years. you don't have to like the music, but you have to admit it's inventive. yeah, there are some really crappy formula bands, but then, it's not uncommon to have shakira, fall out boy, james blunt, the red hot chilli peppers, korn, and kanye west in a row. that's veriety, no matter what your personal tastes are.

blaming green day for "punk" bands being unnoticed is like blaming nadar for the war in iraq.

20. Oz!

You don't actually know a single thing about Punk ideology do ya? :)

I'll give yer a clue.... if it were in a book, the first line would read "do it yourself" ;) (you do you own thing, when you want.... you don't become another meat puppet for a fat **** in a suit who already shapes so much of the society that is so bollocks etc etc... oh forget it, go find out for yerself.... hope you get the chance one day)

too funny :D