punks

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by chrismith, Jun 10, 2006.

1. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

I've figured why we're seeing differently; american and brit punk

two pretty different movements.

2. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Possibly.

3. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

definitely :) (although they ain't mutually exclusive... there are brits who follow the american punk movement/ideology, and vice versa)

4. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

my boyfriend is a punk, the first day i went out with him i noticed his button on his jacket that said i club hippies, but i love him so much, yet he still tells me all the time how he hates hippies, they like to be violent, they are anti hippie, thats just what they are, i dont think there are to many reasons behind it

5. Pablo_Escobar

Pablo_Escobar Member

Yeah...Cause punks are cool.

6. prismatism

prismatism loves you

yeah and the line "i see a bunch of hippies crying, yeah, august eighth is a beautiful day."

they might bash "hippies" but if you look at the messages they're conveying (anti-consumerism, mostly) they ARE hippies. so they're not "hippie friendly" but their music is something we can listen to and relate to and enjoy.

and every single "punk" i've EVER met has been INCREDIBLY condescending. i don't know what a "real" punk is, but they're all convinced they are the only real ones. i really don't care what punk "used to be", i have never met a single punk who wasn't obsessed with proving how punk he/she is by being as much of a dick as possible. i've never met a politically aware punk or a punk who is doing anything to help progression towards ANYTHING, because they're all too busy worrying if their pins on their leather jacket are obscure enough, if their mohawk is straight enough, if their new $80 boots are worn enough to look old, if they're kicking enough ass and shouting "OI!" enough to be more punk than anyone else.

7. prismatism

prismatism loves you

punks today don't even listen to the clash. they might know one or two songs, just enough to justify wearing their name on their chest.

and they'll wear an anti-nazi patch, but know nothing about nazis...

that's just the punks i've met though.

8. Radiation

Radiation Ruling the Nation

The so-called "punks" around here are pretty hippy. They do canned food drives, vegetarian potlucks, etc.

9. spooner

spooner is done.

I've met the whole range. I like them as much as any subculture.

10. prismatism

prismatism loves you

well, there are awesome people who are "punk", but generally they don't think about their image as a punk because they're too busy thinking about the well-being of everyone else. but those people (not just in punk culture... in all of humanity) are rare.

11. Lainey

Lainey Member

im just a young dumb girl. not a sholar.. it wasnt directed toward you. it was directed toward every person in the world who says 'i wish it was 1969'.
    ..so psh.
    excuse me for trying to make my life count.
    fuck it

12. Lainey

Lainey Member

It was directed toward anybody who sais 'I wish it was 1969'.
    i wasnt trying to write an A+ thesis for my english teacher ;).
    if a hippy is mearely anybody who can read weather, then why the hell does everybodyon this site call themselves a hippy?
    no, i wasnt refering pills as psychedelic. mind you. i was pointing out the incredible amounts of drugs being distributed anymore.
    because a million times ive heard 'acid was everywhere man'. and well, drugs still are everywhere.
    and i dont know what youre trying to prove by degrading my 'being fucked up' statement.
    maybe you just like to be an asshole. punk.

13. 2cesarewild

Yep I'm a real punk ass :rolleyes: I'm not sure what the life count thing is about, calm down. You have ill-informed opinions on the issues you are talking about. Maybe learn a bit more about the culture at the time of the two generations, and then you might understand why children of the current generation sometimes reject the status quo in favor of status quo ante.

14. tculi

tculi Senior Member

some of them don't, it just depends on the person
    i have a really good punk friend
    but some hate us

15. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

I guess I am clueless.
    I just don't see why it matters if someone "hates" us. There is always someone who doesn't like you. Can you change their mind? Probably not. Nor is it worth the energy. So why care if punks don't like hippies?

I'll go back to my corner now.

16. Lainey

Lainey Member

ill informed? please, elaborate

17. 2cesarewild

The answer my friend, is blowin in the wind. I'm not sure that this thread is the place for a lesson on American culture and counter-culture.

18. Lainey

Lainey Member

Very well. I know more than you do, but i was curious what you had to say.

19. 2cesarewild

20. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

well they're not bloody punks

Punk is stiff little fingers, punk is the clash, punk is not NOFX and not greenday