Punk.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ellis, May 31, 2004.

1. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

45 grave
    rik l rik
    china white
    adolescents
    gun club
    x
    germs
    circle jerks
    uxa
    castration squad
    plasmatics
    sex pistols
    clash
    crass
    selector
    madness
    specials
    devo
    residents
    psychic tv
    red cross
    cheifs
    eddie and the subtitles
    dickies
    fear
    the gears
    mad parade
    middle class
    plugz
    surburban lawns
    stains

2. Mercy

Mercy Member

Woohoo, DarkLunacy, an Against Me! fan? Excellent! I absolutely love Against Me!, their music is fantastic and they are unbelievable live. Had the privelege of seeing them last Saturday, it was incredible. Possibly the best night of my life.
    Also like a lot of Anti-Flag stuff, went to see them on their last visit to England, I was very impressed by their live show. They really put a lot of effort into creating a feeling of solidarity and unity.
    I prefer new punk rather than old punk. I think the punk philosophy has changed dramatically since it started. Rather than a complete "screw you" attitude and a complete disregard for everything, punk has developed into something a lot more meaningful. Its about unity, its about having no restrictions, its about speaking your mind, standing up for what you believe in. Punk is so closely related to activism and political awareness now. It may still have a complete disregard for authority, but most of the new generation of punks actually believe in an alternative. It's about thinking. Also, its about being part of something. Anyone who is part of a punk scene will know that it is an incredible feeling.
    Whoever it was that said the only real punks are the ones that sell their arses on the street to survive....BULLSHIT. Its about a love of music, its about an attitude, its a hell of a lot of things. Sellings ones arse on the street doesn't even come into it. Punks not about restrictively labelling people. I'm not going to turn round to people who have supported the scene for years and have lived their life for punk and say "oy you, until you have lowered yourself to the lowest of low, you will never be who you think you are". What a load of shite.
    Rant over. Thank you.

3. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

You sir, have an excellent taste in music. As far as Proto-Punk goes my favorite has to be old Don Vilet AKA Captain Beefheart.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I adore Television as well, but I don't consider them pure punk... more art-punk, if that term exists? Marquee Moon is an amazing album, so popular in France!

5. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Yeah man Against Me! owns. "Drink until I die or at least until the sun rise" but enough of that for now. I perfer old punk to the new but thats not to say I dont listen to new. I just don't think Rancid has as much versitilitie as other you know. Anti Flag does rule though :D You get Terror State? Being a punk isnt about fighting for meals either. Thats being in a band. ANY band struggles for a long time. Punks not special. The whole street image is a nice image that popular media likes to project to make us look like heathens. In actuallity punks are some of the nicest people you will meet. They don't judge you as soon as they meet you. They will talk to you and get to know you. This whole "FUCK YOU IM A PUNK! I DONT NEED ANY OF YOU! FUCK YOU! IM HARDCORE FROM THE STREETS" gets nowhere. It makes you look retarded is what it does. Now if someone is being an obnoxious asshole you dont have to treat them good at all... But damn dude...
    Well man... Whats your definision of nitty gritty? What YOU went through? Come on man thnik about it