Punk.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ellis, May 31, 2004.

1. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I'm more sick of the way people think that they are right in everything they do and think, never bothering to consider other people's opinions. I'm never annoyed to disscuss someone's ideas or views.

2. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

I dont think im right at all, if i thought i was right then i'd be a hippie because hippies are right with their views of peace and love. if most people were hippies then punk wouldnt have started. before i got into punk i did consider all different views and i was tired of being the kid that got picked on at school, i made some new friends and told the other kids to fuck off. its changed my life in that i have more confidence and self esteem, along with more motivation to do things in spite of what people think or say about me. in this day and age peace and love will only get you so far until you've had enough of the hate.

3. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

yea, but youre doing what's right despite what people think, right? Its not just saying, "screw you" for the sake of it is it?

4. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

No, it's saying "screw you" because you're sick and tired of getting constantly picked on and badgered by "cool" people. At least for me it is...

5. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I can understand that

6. themalttones

themalttones Member

good charlotte, blink 182, sum 41, and all those other new punk bands are good.....
    BUT THEY AIN'T PUNK!!

the crass, the anti nowhere league, buzzcocks, pistols, the stranglers, the clash, etc.....

Now that stuff was punk back from the day!

to each his/her own!

http://www.soundclick.com/themalttones

7. Animaliberation

Animaliberation Member

I think it just sad how if you go to the mall, for example, there is this "punk" trend. All these little kids wearing shirts that say punk. Its just sad. Because of this bullshit, the meaning is lost. As i said before it's a lifestyle, and if you are true to yourself + that is what you are, you don't go around calling yourself a punk.

8. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

no i dont go up to people saying "screw you", im only a dick to someone if im provoked and i've always been that way.

and i dont know where you live, but in vegas theres just about no punk scene. id love to see some punks here i could talk to but the fact is everyone's either a baker skater, goth kid, wigger, ricer, hip-hop kid, etc. you get the point. trend central here, its pretty annoying.

9. PointlessWandering

PointlessWandering Member

Tell me, AnimalLiberation what is the meaning of punk?? and dont say anarchy or some shit like that...a straight answer if you please...

10. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Hey! ANARCHY ISNT PUNK! PUNK ISNT ANARCHY! I am an anarchist and a punk. Anarchy is a belief on how things should be run. The punk lifestyle is about careless but enjoyable living. Take GG Alain (SP?) for example. Totally punk music but he didnt care about society or anything. His philosophy was "Drink, Fight and Fuck." Punk is about you and living without limitations to who you are. See with the comercial punk or pop punk going around its all about something. Getting back to the girl you like (mostly) hanging with your friends etc etc. Now these idea are all concrete and solid while others like Exploited are abstract and can take on personal meaning. "Beat the Bastards" for example is very abstract. Does what I'm saying make sense?

11. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

See yeah. I get pissed cause I cant even call myself a punk anymore. It used to be if you said you were punk people understood thats what you listened to and you lived differentlly than others normally did. Now if you say your a punk... fuck its meaningless like you said.

12. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Thats a contridiction of terms. Oi is about rebeling against facist rule. The other... well thats self explanitory

Well... Nope. Thats all I can say about that... is just nope..

13. PointlessWandering

Well...i think anyone can agree that the point of punk fashion is to mock the trendiness of society...I mean...i think currently punk has fuck all to do with politics anymore and is basically about rebelling against whats hip and social...the only ironic thing is that they too have entered the trend by identifying themselves as another punk and have basically killed the meaning of being a punk..making themselves a walking contradiction....oh..god...im getting dizzy

But in all....i think the only punk is someone who is a TRUE INDIVUAL and has fuck all to do with chains and leather jackets and all that stereotypical bullshit..

14. Animaliberation

Animaliberation Member

Uhm... I wouldn't have said anarchy, thank you very much. I do not believe there is a clear straight answer\definition for most things in life. Exspecially this matter, it is about listening to you heart. And if you have the beliefs and values that bond this kind of people together, then thats that. k.

15. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Actually punk means selling ones ass on the street to survive. Anyone who hangs with real punks knows that they do just this.

That said, it also means an ass in your face kind of attitude, showing mankind their worst, hopefully so that some good can come of it, if only the next meal.

People not nitty gritty enough to warrant a punk label who yet try to be punks, but just don't have it in them are poseurs.

Poseurs are the lucky ones. Punks aren't happy about being punk, but they wear the banner and hold it high. It's all they've got.

16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

When I was a kid and a Hollywood punk I got my ass kicked by Tony Adolescent for wearing a Devo shirt at a China White gig. So I changed my appearance. Many years later and I get fired all the time for having a shit attitude towards authority, and now though I don't wear any telling signs of punk rock mentality. Hey, I really am not a punk rocker anymore.

But I'll tell you what, I now think Devo was the most punk band ever. Even now if you play them people look at you like you're stupid and absurd, and all the hardcore like the Germs and Black Flag, it all just sounds like everything else. That's not to say that I don't like hardcore, but it's just totally common. People copied the hardcore bands until everything now sounds the same.

While Devo, Residents and these experimental bands are truely uncommon. It's hard to imagine who Devo and the Residents copied. But it's easy to see who all these new bands copy.

17. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I'm a punk-ass kid. Is that the same thing? :D

18. PointlessWandering

I think its more about your mind-state and alot less to do with appearance but that me....

19. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

I love the Clash. Ramones, The Sex Pistols.
    Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Sham 69, The Stooges+iggy, a little anti-flag, the old rancid. What about the Warhol punks The Velvet Underground?

20. Carnivore

Carnivore Visitor

You're all forgetting the Talking Heads, damn it! :p

I also like:

Television
    Sonic Youth
    The Stooges
    The Velvet Underground