Pumpkin Soup!

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Jimbee68, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I'm posting here, cause I definitely want you to share your own, pumpkin soup recipes. But first what I just ate now.

I took one can of organic pumpkin. It says on the label that's all it had in it. Pumpkin. Then I took said can. I added ½ cup of cream, and filled it up with whole milk. I whisked all the aforementioned ingredients well. Then I added some pumpkin pie spice. I'll just say to taste. (I have to say it was a cheaper pumpkin pie spice. Okay it cost a buck. So I had to add a little more. I'd recommend a good quality spice if you make it.) Then, get this. I mixed in cooked rice. I got Indian rice from the drug store tonight. Make your own if you want. But it has to be cooked.

And it was delicious!

I once saw a recipe for "Polish Pumpkin Soup". I don't know what that means. (Pumpkin is a New World vegetable you know.) But I often note, it does keep soups from separating a bit.

But you know, I thought if I left the rice in longer, it might absorb more of the flavors. I have a bowl left in the fridge. Maybe when I try it later I'll tell you.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recipes? :)

wilsjane likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

That sounds a bit weird to me having grown up in the Caribbean islands where Pumpkin Soup is a regular feature.

No rice, no spice.

Rich and creamy :)

But a bit more work :)

West Indian Pumpkin Soup

Cut open the pumpkin and remove the seeds.

Cut into chunks and peel the skin off.

Place the chunks into a soup pot and barely cover with water.

Bring to a boil and simmer until the cubes are soft, about an hour. Drain off liquid and save.

Pulverize the pumpkin in a blender or a food processor, or just use a potato masher and do it right in the soup pot.

Combine the pumpkin mash and liquid from cooking, add some heavy cream (at least one cup, perhaps two, depending on how much you are making), a tablespoon of sugar, some ground black pepper and a dash of nutmeg.

Stir together over a low heat until smoothly blended and warm enough to serve.

My Mom was particularly fond of this soup.

wilsjane likes this.
  3. nagwink

nagwink Visitor

Ingredients
    Creamy pumpkin amp; potato soup
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 medium_piece medium brown onion, coarsely chopped
    • 1 clove crushed garlic
    • 600 gram pumpkin, coarsely chopped
    • 2 medium_piece potatoes, coarsely chopped
    • 2 cup water
    • 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
    • 1/4 cup pouring cream
    • 2 teaspoon lemon juice
    Method
    Creamy pumpkin amp; potato soup
      Heat olive oil in large saucepan, cook onion and clove crushed garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add pumpkin, potatoes, the water and vegetable stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stand for 10 minutes.
      Blend or process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to same pan, add cream and lemon juice. Reheat, stirring, without boiling, until hot. Serve bowls of soup topped with garlic and herb croutons.

4. ~Zen~

Do you mean Creamy Pumpkin AND Potato Soup?

Hope so, it sounds delicious.

6Sailor9 likes this.
  5. nagwink

nagwink Visitor

Yes, it IS delicious on a cold day.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Jane just lightly fries some mushrooms in butter, then boils them an milk, before adding all the leftovers in the fridge. Everything from casseroles or currey, to broccoli or asparagus. Then liquidises the whole lot, adding ground black pepper and some seasoning to taste. Served with a few blobs of cream and some grated cheese, every batch is different, but it never lasts very long. LOL
    With people starving in this world, we never waste anything, so food costs are kept very low. Needless to say, we never need to waste money on pre prepared or take away food.
    Why people spend a fortune on ham, when boiling a gammon costs a fraction of the price and lasts for days, always puzzles me.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

I got it now, it's a Dutch variation with the potatoes!

8. ~Zen~

Great tip about the soup, thanks Wil! And Jane!

I too make soup from the frig leftovers. Sometimes I will start a bag in the freezer and throw bits and odds and ends in it over the week. Then I drag out the soup pot :)

wilsjane likes this.
  9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

In Ireland, where the stew pot is always bubbling away on the range, everything gets thrown in. What we ended up with on our plates at Jane's parents home in the past was like a lucky dip. I often wondered how many socks we ate. :D