Puerh

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Lucy Goosey, Nov 8, 2015.

1. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Costume???
    Is that 1975 a raw or ripe?

I've been drinking extra raw at night(as per your suggestion), and I do think it helps me fall asleep faster.

I'm about ready to have a couple of cups in a little bit.

2. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

lol

It's a ripe. It's very soft, from the long fermenting I take it. I don't even need a knife to break it off. I usually drink it with some raw thrown it to spruce up the taste.

1 person likes this.
  3. expanse

I'm letting my raw soak in a cup for several minutes right now. Then down the hatch!

I'll probably down it fast and get ready for bed.

4. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

I pulled out a cake of young green raw puerh when this virus hit. I'm not crazy about the taste of phenols in the raw but I wanted to get them attacking those virus meanies. It's actually a really nice cake. Not as hard packed as the others I've bought there, it's quite loose and easy to pry off the leaves.

Not a puerh, but I've been drinking a couple mugs of hibiscus flower tea daily too. It's supposed to help lower blood pressure. But I like the taste too. The package I bought had nice big dried flower pieces, not the sawdust you sometimes get with loose teas.

5. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

I took out the raw puerh cake again. It really helped when that virus hit, now it's allergy season. I'm experimenting to see if it has any effect on allergies.

6. expanse

I'm having trouble switching out of night shift mode. I think I'll make some hibiscus/puerh tea to help me sleep. Hibiscus seems to have a calming effect on me.

I haven't had any puerh for around 3 weeks. I've been drinking water(mostly), and monster drinks(sparingly)lately.

Is there much research on puerh effects on allergies?

7. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Did it help? I haven't felt any sedation from hibiscus but I drink a couple of cups per day, it's supposed to lower blood pressure. I love the tangy taste especially after a heavier meal. I bet it spruced up the taste of the raw puerh. Hide those sharp phenols a bit.

No, I haven't read any. The claims always rave about weight loss because that's what sells. But there are so many other benefits. I thought I'd see if it helps. Probably not. I think I'll buy more rooibos. Hibiscus and rooibos are good for allergies. Both have quercetin, and rooibos has rutin as well, both help relieve allergy symptoms. I like making chai tea with red rooibos.

1 person likes this.
  8. expanse

I'm not sure. I took some melatonin too.
    I usually get a little feeling of relaxation with hibiscus tea, but it could be placebo. Actually valerian knocks me out better than anything, but it makes me drowsy the next day.
    I've never used rooibos before. I need to read about it since I know nothing about it. I only have a little problem with allergies, and not every day. However I would like to take something before hiking because my allergies act up in some of my hiking spots.

9. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Rooibos is full of benefits. It's high in antioxidants and polyphenols, and full of minerals. Definitely get some if you're having trouble sleeping, it helps with insomnia. I bought some again and it knocked me out for the whole night. I'd forgotten about that effect. And no post drowsiness like with valerian. Green rooibos is supposed to be better for allergies, it has more polyphenols, but it's more bitter, red rooibos is smoother and sweeter. The red is fermented and I always prefer the fermented versions and their qualities.

The taste is a little bland so adding cinnamon and honey (honey is also good for insomnia), preferably raw honey, makes it more palatable. I add cinnamon, cardamom, lemongrass, a couple of cloves, ginger and vanilla to mine, to make it a chai tea. Along with a teaspoon of raw honey per cup. But just the cinnamon and honey would do. Or you can mix the hibiscus and rooibos together. I'm going to try that. The sour of hibiscus and the smoothness of the rooibos should go well together.

1 person likes this.
  10. expanse

I'm all about antioxidants!

11. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

[​IMG]

I'm fearing that Expanse overdid the rooibos and it put him to sleep permanently!

1 person likes this.
  12. expanse

Lol! I still haven't gotten rooibos yet. I'm going to look locally first, then maybe amazon if I can't find it here. I'm going to read more about it tonight at work too.

13. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Are you still reading? You must have grown several plants by now! :-D I've been drinking iced rooibos tea this summer, as my evening iced tea, no caffeine. I mix it with tulsi (holy basil). I like the combo and both are good for you. Not as big a punch as a sedative, probably because it's so watered down with the ice. I'm saving the Puerh for winter. I prefer it as a warm tea and it's too hot in the summer here for hot drinks.

14. expanse

Haha!, I haven't grown rooibos plants yet. Ok, I'm going to search for a vendor today. I might look at Whole Foods first. If they don't have quality rooibos, I'll order online.

I read that rooibos contains aspalathin and nothofagin. Studies show that Aspalathin and nothofagin are good anti-inflammatory antioxidants, and may help slow the progression of atherosclerosis.

15. expanse

I got this yesterday(below). It tastes really good! It's not just rooibos only, but it will hold me until I order some online.
    [​IMG]

16. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Oops, posted in wrong thread.

17. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

That must taste good. Rooibos is a little bland, I bet the blueberry complements it well. Did you find it helped sedate you?

18. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

I said... Did you find it helped sedate you? :p (This message supplied for the hard of hearing.)

By the way, forget about mixing Hibiscus and rooibos. It tasted pretty bad. They don't go well together at all.

1 person likes this.
  19. expanse

Eh? Eh?:Do
    I felt that it did sedate me. I found some plain rooibos in teabags at the grocery. I made a cup of green tea at work with a kuerig coffee/tea maker, then steeped the rooibos in that. It smelled really good, and tasted ok. I felt a little more relaxed within 15 or 20 minutes. I'm doing an experiment with ashwaghanda right now though, and can only drink rooibos at night. RIght now I'm working nights, and I'm kinda tired when I drink the rooibos, but I don't think it's all placebo . Green tea doesn't have the calming effect that I felt with rooibos added.

20. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Here, this might be helpful.

[​IMG]

Or you might prefer the more modern version. (WTH??)

[​IMG]

I doubt it's a placebo. When I basically passed out, it took me a few days to realize it was the rooibos. I have this delicious rooibos tea called Cinnaberry, with cinnamon, blueberries and raspberries. I don't recall a sedating effect. Either I didn't realize it at the time or there might not be enough rooibos in it. I'll try it this winter. If I don't find the same effect, I'll add some pure rooibos to the mix.