Puerh

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Lucy Goosey, Nov 8, 2015.

1. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

No, don't waste the money...just break me out! :)

2. expanse

I definitely felt a subtle wave of relaxation from it, or was that the shot they gave me in the ward???

1 person likes this.
  3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The raw stuff is much better I think. The ripe, or "cooked" stuff doesn't do it for me. I've never even had any I liked, and I've tried at least four different kinds.
    I'm all out of the good stuff right now...hell with it, I'm gonna try one of the tribute grade mini tou cha's I got last year again. Maybe I'll like it this time, lol

4. expanse

I like the taste of the ripe that I got. If the raw is better, I'll definitely like it. The raw that I ordered has shipped, so it shouldn't be long before I try it.

I'm not going to think that I can fly, and jump out of windows on the raw, am I? Haha

5. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

I find the raw is gives more of a buzz, but I like the taste of the ripe better. It is a distinct taste, it's not for everyone. Weenies. *points at theprodu*

I got in another puerh I ordered. It's a 100g cake, just a mini cake, 4 inches in diameter, (usually they're 357g and 8 inches). It's a 2006 ripe Yunnan LongYu puerh, from Lucky Dragon Tea Company. Not sure what the LongYu signifies. I really like this one! It has that nice sandalwoody aftertaste I like. They have the same tea, same year, in a raw version. I may try it too. I like the smaller 100 g cakes to sample.

I took some pictures. With a quarter for scale. On my wrinkled paper towel (don't worry, it's clean!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Did the raw pu'erh ever arrive? If so, did you sample it yet? What did you think of it? And more importantly, did you do any flying?

1 person likes this.
  7. expanse

Haha! No flying. I didn't run down the road eating people's faces either:-D

The raw did arrive. I think it's pretty good. It's stronger than the ripe that I ordered. I didn't feel the pu-erh high off the raw...yet - at least not by drinking it alone. I did feel relaxation when I had a strong cup each of raw and ripe within a few minutes of each other, a few days after receiving the raw. I might have had a placebo feeling of relaxation from my first drink of ripe, or maybe I felt relaxed because my airways opened some - I'm not sure. I did feel my airways open some thus time, along with the relaxation.

I totally forgot to come back to give an update. I'm really absent minded and forgetful sometimes.

I kinda like the taste of the ripe pu-erh a little better; it's a little bit smoother. However, I will probably by more raw than ripe in the future. I like the taste of the raw also, plus it's higher in epicatechin, flavonoids, and polyphenolic compounds than the ripe.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Some raw stuff is better than others of course, as far as the mild buzz. I don't seem to get it as much from the ripe. It is subtle though, but it grows on you, you notice it more after you've been drinking it for a while and it's not unusual for me to feel that relaxation on the first sip too. Probably just a brain trigger, it knows it's getting the good drugs, lol

1 person likes this.
  9. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Traitor! The ripe has more probiotics, that's more of what I'm after. I can get the polyphenols from other teas. What I really like is the sandalwood taste that I can't detect in the raw. I do drink the raw when I want to sleep. After the high (I tend to steep my teas pretty strong), it knocks me right out.

Another thing I do is once my ripe leaves have been steeped a few times and getting weaker, I'll add a bit of the raw leaves and get a mixture of the two. You can try that too. Then you'll please both me and Theprodu! Because that's what it's all about. lol

1 person likes this.
  10. expanse

"Traitor"...haha! :p. That's a good idea about mixing. I might do that each time I make tea. I'm also going to try drinking the raw at night to help me sleep after switching from day shift to night shift (and vice versa) at work - to help me sleep at home, that is, not at work lol.

The next time I need to unwind, I'm going to try a double dose of each tea to see if I feel some really good effects...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. expanse

I kinda felt the same relaxation that I feel when I sometimes throw a tablespoon of raw cacao into whatever I'm eating for breakfast. It's kinda like I'm breathing easier.

12. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

You're looking good there, expanse! :p I've never quite got that good an effect. lol

It's definitely the raw pu'erh that I get the buzz from. The ripe I like the taste better and that it has more probiotics. So I have the ripe in the morning, and I add the raw to the ripe I've already steeped at night for the buzz and subsequent sedation.

1 person likes this.
  13. expanse

Oh, actually that's me before the tea.
    You know, I looked up more on the health benefits of puerh - raw vs ripe. It seems that ripe actually has more lovastatin. It's good at lowering cholesterol. Lovastatin is only prescribed in larger doses when diet and exercise aren't working to counter dyslipidemia(abormal amount of lipids), but in low doses I think it's good for you. It's in red yeast rice and oyster mushrooms too.

2 people like this.
  14. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

And after you've had your tea. That puerh is good stuff!

[​IMG]

15. expanse

Lol, I wish!
    Um, the only thing I have in common with him is the facial hair, and that's probably going to be gone before too long.

16. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Getting rid of the facial hair because you're tired of people mistaking you for Thor? I understand.Though it's Loki I preferred. He was funny, clever, charming, and that voice... smooth as silk. I found Tom Hiddleston {{swoon}} stole the scenes. His character was far more interesting than Thor.

17. expanse

Lol, no way I could be mistaken for thor.
    I've had the facial hair for a little over a year, and I'm getting tired of keeping it trimmed close (well sometimes). I like it though because it covers up part of my face (which is a good thing,haha).

I was just thinking...I don't resemble Loki either (as described above). Are there any slow, goofy looking Norse gods?

18. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

[​IMG]

Closer?

2 people like this.
  19. expanse

That's me without facial hair!
    That pic was taken in 1986, by my senior prom date's mother, as I got out of my car. How did you get this picture???

20. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

lol She had an album full of your nifty costumes. I can't think why your date dumped you.

I'm sipping on the 1975 puerh I bought. It's a bit of a disappointment. I expected more. It's kinda bland. Maybe I prefer a young tea, especially the ones with a hint of sandalwood.