Puerh

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Lucy Goosey, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

I've noticed people talking about puerh on the forum so thought I'd start a thread about it. Post your experiences with puerh. Pictures, reviews, any favourites…

I fell in love with puerh tea the first time I tasted it. I like it mostly for the taste, especially the sandalwood taste most puerhs have, but I find it helps with digestion and hopefully it's helping to build up good gut flora. I've been buying cakes and bricks from China, occasionally trying loose samples. I prefer the ripe puerh, but I have raw cakes as well. I find the raw too astringent for my tastes (but man, do they have a nice kick!).

This is my latest acquisition, I got it at a steal, a 40-year-old ripe puerh. The oldest I've had before this was 20 years old. It's darker than the younger puerhs I've had, with a reddish tone to it. It's very soft and crumbles easily. I didn't even need a knife to pry some off, just broke some off with my fingers. It didn't smell musty at all, I was afraid it might for such an old tea, it had a nice fresh tea aroma. The taste is mellower, smoother than the younger teas, with just a bit of astringency. It doesn't have much of a sandalwood taste, which I tend to prefer, but all in all a good tea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Call me uncultured, I've never heard of it. I need to do some research.

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Looks like something you would plant a tree in

4. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Do look it up. It's touted as a weight loss aid (guess that sells better) but I lump that into improving digestion. I find some puerh give you a kind of euphoric feeling, I call those my drug Pu's. :-D

1 person likes this.
  5. expanse

That definitely is interesting. I wonder if it has high levels of L-theanine, or if it's something else causing the euphoria.

6. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Theanine doesn't have the same affect on me, it does make me more alert, but in a calming way. And it's a black tea, so it wouldn't have high levels of theanine. I don't think it's the caffeine either which can get me wired. It's a different feeling altogether. Maybe you'll find the secret ingredient in your research. You'd better get to it! :B Oops, I mean :p

1 person likes this.
  7. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Here's my last batch I received direct from China. It only took a week! Instead of the 6-8 it had been taking the last couple of years, by all reports.

[​IMG]

It's a 12+ year aged raw Pu'ehr.
    My Brother first turned me on to half a brick and I loved it, so when I found out it was on sale again ( thank you Lucy!) I was able to score a full brick. Wish I could have bought more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Pu 'erh definitely has the good drugs. :-D

8. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Always happy to share a sale! I liked that one too, I've gone through 3 bricks. Nice buzz action.

I put in a few orders recently, while I had the time and a bit of extra money, of the raw and ripe. I'll try get to posting a few of them. I figured I'd stock up and prepared myself for the 6 to 8 week wait and they came within 2 weeks! A pleasant surprise. Maybe they speed up service closer to Christmas.

So far I've had only one that came smoke laden, smell and taste, even after airing it for a few weeks. That's a no-no for properly aged puerh. Same thing if you get a musty or one that tastes like "smelly socks" (How'd they come up with that comparison? I feel for the person who had to do that taste test!) I contacted the vendor who replaced it with a different tea. So don't hesitate to go back to the vendor if you're not satisfied. Most are very compliant and eager to please. They want their good review on eBay. ;-D

9. expanse

I found 5078 results on ebay(buy it now option). It's going to take a while for me to read through results. Lol

I'm amazed at how inexpensive it is, with as many years as some of it has been aged.

10. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

We'll expect a decision by Friday! :-D

I suggest trying a raw and a ripe so you can see which you like more. It's really a matter of preference, the tastes are very different. Raw is astringent with more of a clean taste, ripe is more mellow and smooth.

1 person likes this.
  11. expanse

Friday it is :D. Maybe even earlier.

Thanks for the advice :)

12. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Thought I'd post a bit of info about rinsing the puerh. You're supposed to rinse the tea first to open up the leaves. I don't go through the traditional rinsing technique. For one I don't have the tea paraphernalia, but frankly, I'd lose interest if I had to go through all that. I just pour boiled water over my single cup sized infuser a couple of times and let it drain into a separate cup before steeping it in my cup. But it's interesting to see how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07UuDxkp9sA

This one kills me. A true Pu snob. lol Take notes, Expanse, we expect you to go through this technique for each cup of tea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSM9cqYMIY

13. expanse

One of my packages of pu'erh arrived. I don't know if it's the raw or the ripe, as I haven't opened the mailing envelope.

I'm going to try some in a little while. I need to watch the videos again, before I attempt to make it. I want to make sure that I do this right, so that I don't strip naked and run down the street to eat someone's face.

2 people like this.
  14. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

That only happens with the second brewing. ;-)

We haven't talked about breaking up the brick or cake. The round cakes are usually softer, the bricks can be pretty compacted. Here's a video on how to loosen a brick. Sorry, this guy does far too much yacking but he does show how to loosen it well. I actually lay mine flat when I do it, less chance of impaling yourself. That's how I've always seen it done. I don't have a fancy pancy knife, I just use a paring knife. Not sure whether a letter opener would get through easily enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQy070Unznc

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully there won't be blood shed. :-D

1 person likes this.
  15. expanse

I like it!

I actually cut the leaves off in a similar manner as did the guy in the video. I have cut coconut coir bricks the same way when made a soil mix for pepper seeds in the past. I don't have a "fancy pancy"(lol) knife either. I used my whittling knife...just kidding. I used a steak knife.

I'm going to make a second cup. I definitely need to get a tea pot. I normally make Lipton ice tea in an electric tea maker, or with teabags in a cup, lol.

I looked at my order verification email, and this is the ripe tea. My raw tea should arrive soon.

I did feel a subtle relaxation after several sips, but I think I will definitely order more because of the taste and health benefits.

Since I'm going for a second cup, I need to put on a Halloween mask for when I run down the street. :)

16. expanse

I actually think I feel the first cup more now.

17. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Hmm, no word from expanse today. Think we should take up a collection for bail?

18. Gongshaman

:-b

19. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

This is no laughing matter! How much are you putting into the kitty? I found a quarter in my pocket.

20. Gongshaman

Save your money, he's probably in the psych ward after that major pu trip. :-D

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.