Pueblo, Colorado... Thoughts About This Small City?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by GoingHome, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Nostro

Nostro Members

Thinking of moving from Missouri to Colorado (you know why!), so this thread is useful.

Hadn't been thinking of Pueblo; but instead Colorado Springs. But now I'll check out Canon City and Florence.

Small town sounds good. Low cost of living sounds good. Not generally right-wing sounds good too. :)

Hopefully I can find a small'ish town with a low cost of living; affordable homes for sale (like $100K-150K range); low crime; laid back folks; and good internet connectivity.

Will take suggestions :)

2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Pueblo is a nice cool town. It has a big university (part of the Colorado State System) It has the foothills and mountains right beside it. Housing is affordable. It is not as trendy as Boulder, Fort Collins, Aspen, or Vail. If I buy a house again in Colorado, I would consider Pueblo. Florence and Buena Vista are prison towns, so ar a few east of Pueblo in the plains. Colorado Springs is very much a right wing military town.

tjr1964 and MJSkier like this.
  3. TheSweatyButcher

TheSweatyButcher Members

Colorado Springs stress me out. To much traffic and to many people and lots of homeless folks. You do realize that Pueblo's 2012 city data crime rate is 526(bad) vs Florence 101 vs Canon City 349 with the USA average of 300. I'll say it again Florence is a gem with low crime and low cost of living. I have *gasp* driven by a prison. There is a prison store that I go to. Prisoners raise ''organic'' water buffalo and sell it for $3 a pound. These are non-vilolent offenders and the buffalo get sent out for butchering. They also have a tilapia farm and several green houses.

Trust me bang for your buck Canon City and Florence are where its at. Check the crime rates I posted above. Sadly there are no recreation pot shops, only medical in fremont county where florence and canon city are. So people go to pueblo for that unless you have your red card which is worth its weight in gold IMO. Why buy when you can grow your own.....legally :bandana:

tjr1964 and Vickerycr like this.
  4. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

City Data! hahaha, that place is a hoot.
    I mean everywhere online is 'funny' in it's own way but some (most?) posters at CD seem to take themselves very, very seriously. And their towns, it's always a gas to pass through that place every wild hair Wednesday and ruffle the feathers of those old coots and 'their' forums. I asked about Pueblo there as well, you can probably guess which post is mine if you look hard enough.

;P

Yeah, I'll probably just end up moving back to the ol' PNW, soggy, shitty, muddy boots n all.
    Been too GD long in Texass, that's fer damn sure. Never, in a million years, thought I'd still be here....*sigh*

5. Nostro

Nostro Members

Thanks for the tips!

Any thoughts (anybody) on Garden City? I was watching a cable show about cannabis in CO since being made legal (although a 2014 rerun so maybe out of date). They profiled Garden City and it seemed like possibly a good place. (Meanwhile, their profile of neighboring Greely didn't seem as good)

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

As a former denizen of the eastern plains I can say this, the further you get from anything convenient (like grocery stores that sell fresh produce instead of pre composted vegetables) the cheaper the rent. But the duller the drives to go anywhere else.

Many landlords have a no 420 policy, as it their right. Many more have a no grow policy, or price themselves out of the casual grower ranges.
    It's a new twist that was harder to enforce under medical.

7. TheSweatyButcher

TheSweatyButcher Members

If I were to rent my house I would not want others growing in it. They could grow outside til their hearts content,

Whats up with the Colorado forum? I clicked the link in your Sig and its dead.

8. drumminmama

I specified that no smoking/ growing is within a landlord's right.
    The exception might be real, legitimate, limited in scope medicinal growing. <6 plants.

Forum link worked for me, but the discussions are comatose.

9. TheSweatyButcher

TheSweatyButcher Members

awesome its back plus the state sections!

1 person likes this.
  10. Nostro

Nostro Members

I live kinda 'slow' these days, so I don't mind the trade-off of cheaper rent/housing prices in place of "less dullness" :)

As far as no-420 policies; I hope to buy a home and thus not have that issue. Although at the same time I may want to rent for a year to "get a feel" for a place and the surround before I do buy something. So, I'd have to check and be sure I could "420" in an apt before signing any lease. Thanks for the clue on that.. :)

Typically IME, "trendy" = "more expensive". I have limited income so would be happy to trade off trendiness for affordability. I am almost certain that Aspen or Vail would be out of the question. Don't know anything about Fort Collins (it's on my check-into-it list). Boulder is probably cool but from what I've seen, the cost-of-living there is higher than places like Canon City or Florence. I guess this plays into renting for a year - then I could drive around and get personally familiar with these places before buying a place.

[hr]

I'm still interested if anyone is familiar with Garden City or Greely. Would be happy to hear anyones thoughts on them.

11. drumminmama

Greeley stinks, quite literally. Feedlots and slaughterhouses.
    GC is a few blocks within that.

12. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

:D lol
    yes, Greeley is not somewhere any sane man would willing live

Pueblo was never a ton that stuck out to me, do you know spanish? I remember having soccer tournaments there, and the town almost felt like it was from New Mexico, not saying english alone won't do you good, but just curious OP

13. TheSweatyButcher

TheSweatyButcher Members

I lived in Maitou Springs for awhile and had a cheap rental BUT no smoking inside.

This is where I stayed for $500 a month with all included. Wifi, cable tv, power...everything. They even hooked me up with used furniture.
    http://www.astrideastarship.com/rentals.html

Here are more rentals from the same places rental list. There are a couple affordable places in Ft Collins.

*no affiliation* just rented in the past.

http://www.astrideastarship.com/rentals.html

EDIT: the link is the same for some reason but y'all will figure it out.

tjr1964 and drumminmama like this.
  14. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Manitou Springs is kind of a hippy place, right?

New Age-y and stuff? Or, is that just in comparison to Colorado Springs?

15. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I dunno, I always love 'under

My wife is from Mexico, but no I don;t know much Spanish.
    I could learn, and probably will, when I get back on the old collage treadmill.

P.S. I love New Mexico and Spanish Culture.
    Not trashy, violent vato culture, like real high class Mexicans. (Of which my wife is one)

Also, and I think I said this already, I like underdog type cities.
    Always preferred San Antonio to Austin, etc.

'Cool' cities just seem to attract arrogant people, it seems to me.
    What I especially liked about SA was that all the trendy, scenester types eventually moved an hour away to Austin, so you had this giant city where you basically have your run of the (awesome) dowtown library, everyone knows each other because the few good places to go are so limited, and people are (in general) way more laid back because they know they're not in Austin, the cool place.

For instance, remember the Keep Austin Weird promotion?
    In SA it was Keep San Antonio Lame. With bumper stickers and everything..
    I love that. So anyways, no I don't know Spanish. But love that it's cheap as shit and (hopefully) close to the outdoors.

I don't need a big scene with hundreds of things to do.

I'm a simple guy and enjoy being the outsider, with a few close friends.

16. TheSweatyButcher

TheSweatyButcher Members

17. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I'm thinking the Colorado Front Range area is too isolated for my tastes.
    Will be looking more into the PNW. But, as often happens, this thread has grow legs.

So, let it run...:)

18. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Born and raised in Colorado. My mother lives in Cannon City 30 miles north of Pueblo.and 30 miles west of Colorado Springs where I was born. Check out the Royal Gorge, 20 miles north of Cannon City....then check out Monarch Pass 60 miles west on highway 50, at the top is my favorite ski resort. Another 40 miles west is where I went to high school, Gunnison. 30 miles north of Gunnison is Crested Butte Ski resort. If you get to Gunnison, be sure to check out the Black Canyon. This is making me homesick.

tjr1964 and GoingHome like this.
  19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I was born and raised in Colorado too. West Denver actually.
    I seem to remember my band doing a paid audition (early 80's or so) at a pretty big bar in Canon city called 'Canons Claim'
    I remember the dick-head and **** bar owners requesting, then demanding we play 'Cocaine'...We didn't play 'Cocaine' nor did we have the slightest inclination of being a jukebox for anyone so I gave the soundman the signal to crank it and we played our Rush set instead, lol They paid us for the audition but needless to say we didn't get the gig, LOL

tjr1964 likes this.
  20. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The front range is from Pueblo to Colorado Springs to Denver all the way up to Fort Collins. It's pretty much city the whole way. Too crowded for me. I like the western slope. Summit county has a half dozen ski resorts, lots of partying. I'm sure the Old Dillon Inn is still rockin'. If you keep going west on Hwy 70 you'll go past Vail ski resort then past that is Aspen and Snow Mass. Then west of that is Glenwood Springs, that's where Doc Holiday died in the Sanitarium.

1 person likes this.