Psychedelic Rock Essentials

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lucifer Sam, Jul 5, 2004.

1. John221

John221 Senior Member

You can get a very nice little 3 CD box set called "The Psychedelic World of the 13th Floor Elevators," which includes all four of the Elevators' original albums with loads of bonus tracks and a booklet about the band.

Great stuff ;)

And appart from a great deal of music by Pink Floyd that's already been mentioned, a lot of Syd Barrett's solo work has some unusual chord progressions and really groovy psychedelic lyrics. Oh yes.

2. Skelter

Skelter Helter

has anyone mentioned the west coast pop art experimental band yet? Allmusicguide.com calls them 'the average psychedelic band' but i think they're great.

3. Skelter

Skelter Helter

do you have it? i'm thinking of ordering it from amazon...

4. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

I might of mentioned WCPAEB Volume 3 (A Child's Guide To Good and Evil) cause its a favourite album of mine. Yeah if I remember rightly those AMG reviews were done by Richie Unterberger and he's overly critical IMHO. Volume 3 gets only one or two stars, which okay so its not everyones cup of tea but I'm yet to meet a hardcore psych fan that doesn't put a WCPAEB album in their top 20 psych albums yet, so always thought the rating was a tad harsh.
    Bit of a coincidence again Skelter as I've been having a WCPAEB session tonight
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mmm very nice

5. Skelter

Skelter Helter

6. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Heh, cool! Thanks! I'll probably check that out later tonight! :D

7. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Why are we writing psychedelic in purple?

How do all of you, especailly Derek, not drown in all your records?

And I think this thread rocks, so I'm bumpin it :)

8. Lucifer Sam

Probably because you searched for the word "psychedelic" and therefore the word is displayed in purple anywhere and everywhere within the post. ;)

Haha, I really don't have that many...

Good! [​IMG]

9. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

has anyone mentioned the Nuggets boxed sets yet?? I didnt want to go through all dozen pages.

10. lover/young_peace

Haha, I feel like a dumbass now. :p

Maybe to you. Or maybe you know you do, you are just in denial. Either way, it's okay, you can say what you want but it is still truth. ;)

I'm always up for bumpin'

oh wait, isn't that illegal? ;)

Hmmm, I really suck at determining genres, I couldn't even tell ya what 'psychedelic' means. But you put the Beatles Sgt.Pepper album as one? I didn't know that counted as psychedelic.

11. Lucifer Sam

I think so... somewhere back there. :p

Well, I counted today, and I have 235 albums in my room. It's up to you whether or not that's "a lot."

Sure. Songs like "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," "Fixing a Hole," "Within You, Without You," and "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" are psychedelic staples.

12. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

These psychadelic albums from the 60's are good, don't get me wrong, but how can 16 year olds think that is the best music in the world. The beatles are awesome but bands since then have built on that sound are truly psychadelic but not antique.
    I'm talking about bands like TOOL and even pop stuff like korn. They definitely have a psychadelic sound. i would rather zone out to tool than the beatles and i own 5 beatles albums. production is much better these days.

13. Lucifer Sam

Korn... psychedelic? Haha! That paragraph just goes to show how little you know about music. Wow.

14. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

i'm guessing that if it wasn't recorded 30 years ago it isn't psychadelic. cuz musicians nowdays never use drugs.

15. Lucifer Sam

No, don't be foolish. I never said that. In fact, right here in this thread, I mentioned that I was open to suggestions of modern psychedelic bands. Korn is not a psychedelic band in any sense.

Besides, psychedelic music isn't all about drugs, you know. Not all psychedelic artists take drugs, and a lot of musicians who do take drugs don't create psychedelic music.

16. lover/young_peace

wow... yes I consider that quite a lot :)

Oh really? Yeah, I guess so. Okay then, thanks for setting me straight. ;)

17. Skelter

Skelter Helter

Maybe tool has something psychedelic (i like their videos) but korn?! Korn is nu-metal.

18. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i love the nuggets boxsets. The first one contains some of the best music i've ever heard. The second one is less great, but still very interesting.

19. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

check out this link for great modern psychedelia as well as great 60s and 70s stuff:

http://bomp.com/Psychedelic.html

as far as korn being psychedelic...different people hear different things in the same songs. most people classify korn as nu-metal, though...but if someone wants to call them psychedelic then thats his choice.

20. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

Eight Miles High is a song, it's off the album Fifth Dimension. Sorry but i had to correct that, got kind of an OCD about stuff like this.