Psychedelic Rock Essentials

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lucifer Sam, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Hazy

Hazy Member

Genesis and Yes did not make psychedelic music. They were very good progressive bands, with extremely talented musicians. And you're right. "Tales of Topographic Oceans" is probably one of the best rock albums ever made.

As to Pink Floyd, their psychedelic masterpiece is "A Piper at the Gates of Dawn", which is probably one of all-time psychedelic classics. If you think Ummagumma is the trippiest album ever made, you've never listened to Gong, or Can, or even The Greatful Dead.

2. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Hehe, anyone ever hear of it!?! I think it's regarded as one of the 60s best albums! :D I have it on CD with bonus tracks and I think it's great. Yeah, it has a really unique sound, and I'll agree with you that Arthur Lee could be a musical genius!

Some of the songs on Forever Changes are amazing. I love "Bummer in the Summer," "A House is Not a Motel," and "Live and Let Live." Even if Forever Changes isn't one of the greatest 60s albums, it is still one of the best albums of 1967, and that is really saying something if you ask me.

LuciferSam, you have great taste in music! ;)

3. floyd33

floyd33 Member

Check out:

Neurosis:A sun that never sets (relapse records 2001)
    Neurosis:The eye of every storm (relapse records 2004)
    Steve von till: As the crow flies (relapse records 2002)
    Steve von till: If i should fall to the field (relapse records 2003)

These guys are a five piece outfit from oakland usa. They have been around for about 15 years now, and their music is 'crushing' and 'mellow' all at the same time. The new material is more acoustic, with electronic overtones. I defy anyone to catagorize this band, because it is impossible.

Their main influences are 'pink floyd' and 'black sabbath' with a little early 'black flag' thrown in for good measure.

Take time to check em out. Cheers. floyd33

Steve von till is a guitarist and vocalist within neurosis, and his solo music is,well, beautifull. He sings with passion and honesty.

'It is better to be small and complete, rather than large and fractured' (scott kelly-neurosis)

4. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Word... 1967 was such an inspired year... I must have at least a dozen albums from that year alone.

5. ntphishin

ntphishin Member

Anything by Captain Beefheart from the 60s and early 70s. Also, check out the Beefheart/Zappa collaborations.

For something newer, The Sikt Disc, which is the only Phish CD that might be considered psychedelic, is a great album.

6. ntphishin

ntphishin Member

Sorry, it's The Siket Disc.

7. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Strictly Personal is the pick of the bunch for me

8. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Add this baby to the list

Family - Music In A Doll's House

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Member

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band definitely played some great psychedelic blues

10. Lucifer Sam

Hey, if you guys want to check out some psychedelic radio, download Winamp, access the internet radio feature, and look for "Beyond the Beat Generation" and "The Technicolor Web Of Sound." They play good 60s psychedelia 24 hours a day!

11. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

the lamb is the worst song ive ever heard. it sounds like somthing off of the hair soundtrack or somthin. i knew this kid named skullbash who was all about that song. thats yer mans and them right gmdukes?

12. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Hehay

Sounds like I'd like it then, thanks for that

13. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i love 'safe as milk', but i don't consider captain beefheart really psychedelic...

14. Skelter

Skelter Helter

www.techwebsound.com and www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com

i'm listening to BTBG at the moment... i discovered these two radio stations a couple of months ago. both are great. TWOS plays 60's psychedelic rock, and BTBG plays 60's garage rock (and more obscure bands).

15. Lucifer Sam

Thanks for adding the links, Skelter! I started listening to those two stations about a year ago, then stopped, and now I'm listening to them again. They're both great to listen to.

16. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Add this baby to the list

Ford Theatre - Trilogy For The Masses (1968)

I've spent years trying to get a hold of this one and I've finally scored it on a 2004 CD reissue, and 'kin brilliant it is, not stopped playing it since I got it

woohoo

17. Lucifer Sam

Ooh, nice! Congratulations! I'm going to have to get my hands on some more obscure psychedelia once I get a job. :p

18. Veritas

Veritas Member

The byrds version of Mr tambourine man.

19. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

twilights - paternosta row
    easybeats - peculiar hole in the sky
    russell morris - the real thing
    masters apprentices - living in a child's dream
    australian playboys - sad

20. Lucifer Sam

I got three new CDs today:

The Soft Machine - Kings of Canterbury
    The Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
    Michael Yonkers Band - Microminiature Love

I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I guess I'll post back with my impressions.