Protein...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by ExistentialPencil, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ExistentialPencil

ExistentialPencil Member

I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian, but I am active in weight-training and have been for the past 3 years. I have been wanting to be a vegetarian because I feel selfish eating meat, but can't find a good, solid source of large amounts of protein without eating meat.

Jazz guitarist for Art Blakey and the Tonight Show band, Kevin Eubanks, I read, is a vegetarian and a body-builder, but I don't remember what was said about where he got his alternative, and quite large, amounts of fortified protein.

Any dietary advice on the subject of alternative sources of protein would be appreciated here.

2. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

So many things have protein.. Nuts, seeds, dairy products, fake meats.. There are some websites in a sticky subject in this forum that might help you out too.

3. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Silk Enhanced Soymilk.

Drink a *lot* of it.

The typical vegan needs about one quart of soymilk per day to get a healthy amount of protein. You would need more most likely.

There are also non-whey based protein things for bodybuilders. I don't have any information about them, though. Try Google; Google knows all, you just have to ask the right question.

4. Profeta

Profeta Member

I agree, soymilk=good soymilk=healthy, but I......shamefully...don't drink that much a day. I'll go get myself some cereal right now.

5. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

What kind of vegetarian you thinking of becoming.

If you want to be a lacto veggie. Just buy some Whey Protein. If you're a weight lifter I'm suprised you haven't gotten into the market already.

If you feel bad about drinking milk derived stuff, it'll be a bit tougher. Tons of soymilk and nuts I guess.

6. ExistentialPencil

ExistentialPencil Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.

In response to the inquiries upon my taking in whey protein, I once did, but my old trainer informed me that whey protein can cause kidney disease in the amounts needed for male human muscle growth and I decided that true or untrue, the risk is better not taken.

Apparently there are a lot of other soy products that give you large amounts of protein, so I will probably go and do some research on which types are the most effective.

Thanks for all the responses. They are greatly appreciated.

7. PawPaw

PawPaw Member

Rice and beans. When you combine the Amino Acids of the two they form a complete protein.

8. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Soy protein powder in smoothies is a great way to get in more protein, & easily.

9. sandpedlar

sandpedlar Member

Once again, I would recommend tempeh. Versatile, yummy, and chock full of protein.

10. Yell

Yell Member

I second this. Trader Joe's has 32 oz containers for 10.99. Vanilla is the way to go.

11. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

i eat lots of beans. they have lots of protein.

12. IC3

IC3 Member

and fat

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

look up Brendan Frasier and Vega(?)
    Vegan and an Iron Man.

14. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Yay!

I love vegetarians, seriously, we are so resourceful and helpful!! ^_^

<3 all of you.

15. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

I'm allergic to soy, so I got my protein from nuts and legumes. I would mix cashews with swiss chard. Check out the book Becoming Vegan. They have a huge section on the athletic vegan with all the daily essentials you need.

16. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

i would suggest eating some quinoa.

to those who dont know, its a pasta alternative with more protein than any other grain, and an amino acid balance similar to milk.

17. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Everyone had good ideas, another couple things I like are MorningStar Farms Meal Starts, the chikn and steak strips are both high in protein... the steak ones at 23g per serving. Totally vegan, too.

I also dig soymilk and some Special K Protein Plus... Protein enhanced cereal is a lovely thing.

yeah nuts are good too but they are high in calories, so I usually stay away from them...

Look around at your local grocery store and browse the veggie/vegan products ....and look at how much protein each has.

18. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

fat in beans? because beans only have a lot of fat when you stick the fat in it. I eat a lot of beans and I have to find fat intake else where because I do not take in enough fat.

on the original subject I used to be a body builder and I only eat about 110 grams of protein a day. There is a myth in body building that meat eatten=protein in the body. The body converts everything we eat to an energy sourse. I eat tons of veggies now and I have made bigger gains then ever before. Of course I am also coming off of injury which means I could be waking up the muscles in my body. In the past four months since I turned veggie, my workouts have been more intense and I love the way it makes my body feel. Of course my workouts are the combination of strength training and body building.