Prose

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Sebbi, May 8, 2004.

1. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Does anyone have any suggestions to start doing prose. The main blocks for me at the moment are:

1. I start writing and, instead of prose, I get poetry.
    2. I have absolutely nothing to I can think of to write about.

Blessings

Sebbi

2. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

write a poem about prose.

3. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

Just completely empty your mind and just start writing. Don't bother about punctuation or spelling or paragraphs or anything like that because then it'll stop going how you want it to go. Just practice and you'll get better :)

4. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Member

Prose can be poetic, so dont worry too much if it starts to turn into poetry. the main thing is to keep it in prose form...as for thinking up something to write about, i have this problem too, i hate to say it because its so cliche but start by writing what you know. subjects you're familiar with will flow onto paper better

5. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

I used to write nothing but poetry and now I write nothing but prose. I guess the transition is hard for some people. And as for having nothing to write about, give it time. Actually a few weeks ago I had bad writers' block and now I'm randomly full of ideas.

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

what is prose?

7. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

It's ordinary story form, like...

"Hi," she said, walking to the counter.

Haha, excuse my poor example.

8. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

hehe, then perhaps you are more of a poet. That's happened to me a lot, so I just decided not to force it. A forced prose usually isn't a very good prose. Search your life and your mind for inspiration for something to write about. When I'm at a loss for something to write about, I just write a few pages on how I predict my life will be like in the future and it usually loosens me up to write something really meaningful to me. Keep trying to write, but if it keeps turning into poetry, so be it. Good luck.

9. veinglory

veinglory Member

Why write when you have nothing to say? Get out in the worlld and think up some interesting plot lines first?

10. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Thing is, I have loads to say, I just don't know what that "loads" is.

I don't think I want to write stories for a while. I think I will stick to rants, if a story wants to come, then I will let it, but I won't force it.

Blessings

Sebbi

11. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

It's funny, every time I try and write poetry I get prose.
    Wouldn't worry to much though, poetry is a beautiful thing. Don't stress and the ideas will come to you.

TTFN

Sage

12. misterrain

misterrain Banned

A poem can sometimes make a good paragraph. In the end, I don't think there's really that much difference between a poem and a paragraph. In a story, I think the challenging part is arranging them in an order so that they move each other forward.

13. mkc414

mkc414 Member

I would say just write it as it comes, and dont be too stressed out about what conventions it feels like you have to follow. I think what you want to say will be there and will find its way out regardless. Start something and finish it, it's not like everything you write has to be monumental or a masterpiece.

I often used to find some place interesting to hang out and write about the things going on around me that caught my attention. Its not hard to put poetry into those kinds of descriptions, and to practice writing narrative prose. Wish you well,

mkc