Props.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Apples+Oranjes, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I thought I'd add a little positivity to this forum...
    Constantly, I, myself and others are complaining about the crap we get from other omnis and what not; but for once, let's focus on the positive we hear from omnis! Generally, I noticed with humans, we tend to focus more on the negative... we all love to complain, and I'm guilty as charged. But, just to spice things up, please share some positive notes you have received from ommnis, or people who may have been helpful to you [at restaurants, and what not, etc].

I'll go first.

It seems that the more comfortable I get with being around omnis, the easier it is to work with them. I used to gripe about the shit I got from omnis, and I used to sort of keep my vegan lifestyle under wraps, and a secret from meat-eaters... but, I've come to realize the more bold I become about it, the more positive the responses are. Before I go on with certain *positive* events... I would like to say, I noticed a variation of people who either seem to do the same as I did, and not mention their vegan/veggie lifestyle as to avoid the bullshit, and I've also seen some who are so outgoing, and forward about their lifestyle--- no offense to anyone, but it seems that those who are more forward about it, seem to be the ones who complain least often on these forums.

Now, I give props to almost all restaurants around here. For example, I went to a mexican place with my guy a couple weeks ago, and I was so shocked by the effort the waitress put into helping me select a vegan dish, once I told her what I couldn't eat. I specifically left her a large tip for all the help. Props to her.

Next in line, there's my family, who has dramatically improved when it comes to terms of being more accepting and helpful about my lifestyle. Perhaps it's because I'm older now, or maybe just because they became used to it. Take my dad for example, he's a big hunter, so of course when I first started out, when I was veggie, he just loooved to rile me up about it. My mom for the most part didn't understand it, and thought I might be a freak of nature. Now, on my birthday not only did my dad make me a vegan cake served with soy ice cream, but also took me out to a veggie/vegan restaurant... and ate a vegetarian dish when we went... but, my mom also got me a vegan cookbook which surprised the hell out of me. As of recently, my dad's also informed me that he's not so into eating meat, because he's realized himself that he feels healthier when he doesn't...even more so, he's more hesitant to hunt lately. He claims it's because ever since we got my cat two years ago, that he's come to realize, and observe how MUCH animals really do feel emotion and pain. My boyfriend thinks he just doesn't want to admit that my ideas have rubbed off on him :p

Speaking of my boyfriend, his parents are amazing with helping me out while I stay over there as well. His dad isn't quite there yet with understanding what I can't eat being vegan, but he's got it down for the most part, and his mother has even helped me finding stuff to eat when I do family shindigs with them. This Sunday, for example, we are supposed to be going to a family get together, and she asked if I wanted her to make me something that I could eat there, or said that I was welcome to bring my own dish, and that it would be interesting to share with everyone else. When I first met her, she thought I was a bit whacked in the head, but after talking to her a lot about it, she's actually come to the point where she has said that she's proud I treat my body so well, and that she's come to see how much healthier I grow each day. Those positive responses, really make my day.

I used to hate it when people would ask me about it, and ask what I eat, and if it's difficult, etc... but now, I'm more happy about it than anything, because I'm glad to see that people are at least curious/interested. I went to a sub place with my mom the other day, and gave the people a difficult order [haha, I seem to do that everytime I go out for food] and the girl preparing my sub was really cool about it. Her and the guy she was working with actually remembered me from last time I came in a while ago, and remembered that I was a vegan... The girl went on to ask if it was difficult to find food to eat, and I replied and told her "No, it's really not. Maybe at first, because I wasn't as well adapted to it, and I wasn't as educated on it, but now I know my options, and with help from people like you, it makes it so much easier." and she was really sweet about it, and responded, "Thanks, and that's really cool. That's cool that you take the time out to look at those things, you know?" ---and that right there just gave me a little hope for this world.

Last in line, but not least... I went to a KFC "protest" once... it really wasn't a protest for the most part-- Anyway, of course there were assholes. Maybe more assholes than there were people who were kind about it... but those few people that were so inquisitive and kind... made it worth while being there. One couple was taking a walk with their dog, and saw us standing there and stopped to ask what our cause was, what they could do to help, and asked us a ton of questions about factory farming. We asked them politely if they were vegetarian and they said, "No, but we totally support you guys. Factory farming these days has gotten out of hand and there's no reason to be so unkind to any sort of creature." And we all just smiled. It was a breath of fresh air after having dealt with those random fucks who came up to us and said shit like, "Don't you have anything better to do with your time?!" and "MMMMM Fried chicken! Finger lickin' good!" A few other people stopped and asked for brochures, and seemed sincerely interested. And it's people like that, that to me, make the world a much better place.

People who, even if they don't completely understand, or choose to lead a veggie/vegan lifestyle, are kind and accepting towards us...are such a breath of fresh air.

To tell you the truth, that's all I expect from anyone. I don't expect anyone else to believe what I do, and go vegan, it's their choice... but to be polite and accepting of the other people you live on this earth with, to me is a truly beautiful thing. Events like so, have shed such a positive light on society for me... regardless of the heaps of bad shit that goes down every day... there's those few people who make the world of difference simply by being kind.

Okay, I'm done with my whole novel here, lol... Please, share your positive thoughts as well :) Can't wait to hear them :)

2. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well spoken! As an omni for my own religous reasons the only trouble I have with veggies/vegans is with that fanatic fringe who feel it is their calling to to forcefully convert the world to their beliefs.

If it works for you, go for it and congrats!

3. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Thanks Ranger :)

I guess with me, I have this thing where I always try to imagine myself in the other person's shoes... I know I don't like it when others try to push their beliefs on me, so I avoid doing the same to others.

It's so much easier to get along with people if you just keep an open mind, and accept others no matter if you completely agree with them or not.

However, I do find myself getting heated up in political discussions; that's extremely hard for me to control :p

4. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

*LOL* You're not the only one Sis!

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

If you don't have anything USEFUL to say, dont say anything. *throws a carrot at you*

6. Lukus

Lukus Banned

Beef!!!!!

7. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Lukus: Its What For Dinner!

8. sitckyicky

sitckyicky Banned

Cannibals....

9. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

lmao totally. People call me Hannibalette. You know, because us vegans, believe eating humans is okay *rolls eyes*

10. sitckyicky

sitckyicky Banned

Humans before humace eh? John Deer would be sick! When I go hunting (like to kill em not eat em) I shoot a dear and laugh when it goes down, then I leave the carcase because it's cruel to eat meat...

11. Lukus

Lukus Banned

omg and you call yourself a vegan who the shit eats people! veal is delicious:D

12. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Actually, we're no cannibals.

But despite that, some people just piss us off enough, that we would rather eat you than an animal.

And you can take that however you want.

13. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

throws rainbows and sun beams at everyone... have a good day!

14. sitckyicky

sitckyicky Banned

Are you threataning to kill me? Damn veggies and your non meat eating, no wonder your crazy

15. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

crazy like a fox....HAHAHAHA!

16. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

someone stole me lucky pot-o-gold

throws more rainbows at you

what a beautiful day it was today.

17. Lukus

Lukus Banned

.....flamer..

18. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Yeh-eah, because rainbows are a death threat.

Hold onto your saddles, partners, them hippies got nukular rainbows! Yeehah!

19. sitckyicky

sitckyicky Banned

I don't worry about being killed and eaten by a veggie though. I've seen the picture of the one who wants to kill me, I think I can take him. Maybe if he ate a steak or two every so often he would be able to fight back....

Balance & Harmony

20. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

yeah, i do have a fire snatch. so i suppose so. its pretty hot.