Proposing

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Trickster's Child, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

My girlfriend turns 21 in a few weeks, and we're going to Niagara Falls for the weekend. theres fireworks over the falls acutally on her birthday and I'm planning on asking her to marry me then :) Anyone got any advice for when I do so?

2. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

yeah, my advice is to hold off for a few more years.

3. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

any reason?

4. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

if you feel it is right then do it.......

5. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

yeah that's what they all say, and then 2/3 or 3/4 of them get divorced....

6. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Well of course the divorce rate for the unmarried is 0. :rolleyes: I think that sounds like a nice way to go about it. :D

7. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

i think if you look at that divorce rate...and its 38% yearly.... its for all age ranges ...and if you are basing your decisions on how much of a possibilty that your choice will fail...then maybe you purplegel..should not socialize and hide in a box somewhere....

life is about taking risks.............

8. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

make sure yer trousers don't split when yer go down on one knee :D

9. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

You know I acutally drempt that happened last night :eek:

10. Oz!

:eek:

let's hope that wasn't prophetic......

11. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

where are you getting your figures? the rates are much higher than that in modern times.

my post in no way reflected or implied what i would personally do. i was merely throwing out some stats to get him to think a bit. i'll admit, it was slightly on the sarcastic side. but it is true that everyone says "i do" yet more than half the time it ends up being an unfortunate lie. it's the way things are, that's all. our social society is fun to poke fun of....

of course life is about taking risks. you have to follow your heart if you want happiness.

the people who are making decisions out of what probability they have of failing are the same people who are posting "life sucks" and "i'm so lonely" and "i'll never get laid" in the love&sex forums--check it out...

oh yeah, plus it's painful to see some of my highschool friends drop out of college because they are parents all of a sudden.... whoa! people need to think more.

12. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

So Purplegel, your saying I shouldnt ask her to marry me cause we might split up? Thats like saying you shouldnt cross the road cause you might get hit by a car. Lifes all about taking risks man, otherwise it'd just be boring

13. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

no, that's not what i'm saying at all. can't you read? it's explained already in my last post....

14. SillyBird

SillyBird Greek Goddess

My only advice is to do it because it feels right and you love this girl with all your heart, not just because it's going to be romantic and as a nice birthday present. Good luck!

15. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

She said yes BTW :D :sunglasse

16. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

That's great, congratulations. :D

17. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I agree with Joe and commend the poster for having the balls to do it at 21. good luck your plan sounds perfect you have a lucky girl:) I'm seriously contimplating not having sex again untill I am 100 percent sure I'll end up with the person and the effort is shown that that will happen as I'm sick of opening myself up to get hurt.

18. Oz!

congratulations man....give it yer all...and we expect nothing less than to see yer posting about the first grandkids in 25yrs time ;)

19. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Congratulations! :) That is wonderful that she said yes... and that your pants didn't split. And what a beautiful scene I bet it was. (sigh)

Not to be a downer though, I agree with Purplegel 99% and I speak from experience not from statistics.

But just because they are engaged, doesn't mean they have to run off and get married right away.

20. Trickster's Child

Trickster's Child Banned

Yea we're not planning to, I've got another 2 years of university left yet so we're leaving it til I've finished :)