Proof positive of US 'institutional' racism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That's not how it works
    A higher number of white people are killed by police simply because there are a lot more white people
    But a higher number of black people proportionate to their population are killed by police (black people are 13% of the population but make up 25% of police killings)
    Meaning if you are black you have a higher chance of being killed by a cop

2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

That's like saying bacteria out number mice.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You are calling black men mice now

So racist

4. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

NO NO NO, PER POLICE INCIDENT! That's why I said "in any particular altercation". Not total numbers.

5. lode

lode Banned

Murdering him while arresting him is part of a larger trend. One in which death by police is the 6th leading cause of death of men 25-29.

Police Use of Fatal Force Is a Leading Cause of Death Among American Men | Inverse

2/3 of the people killed by police since 2014 are suspected of nonviolent crimes, and are unarmed.

Mapping Police Violence

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Because white people are 70% of the population.
    Which is why it is important to break it down by the rate proportionate to population in order to get a true picture and to see if one race is disproportionately being targeted

But I dont want to quibble too much about this because police brutality is an issue that spans all races, I'll agree with you there

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

It's very important to understand all the ratios and proportions behind statistics or what's the point of talking about them at all. The above link said that black men were three times more likely to be killed by police than whites, WITHOUT acknowledging that black people are also responsible for over 50% of all crime. We should actually expect MORE to be killed in police encounters than actually are, when compared to the proportion of criminals. Not to mention that the majority of lethal force used by police is justified with both black and white suspects. They can certainly improve on their actions but the fact is, if suspects just followed orders most of these deaths would have been prevented. And if anyone really cares about black lives, they need to address the primary source of 95% of black homicides... OTHER black people!

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's technically not on the "spectrum" anymore I guess. It's so mild they don't count it as the same thing as true autism. We are more functional.

10. lode

lode Banned

If you're looking for an argument that the sciences don't have a major accessibility problem, you won't find it from me.