Problems Getting Used To It?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by darrellkitchen, May 12, 2004.

1. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Well hey, you guys are the ones talking about not coming here as often because you don't like the new layout... Oh please, give me a break...

This forum is not about the LAYOUT. It's about the PEOPLE who contribute to it. So what if the colors are different? Who cares???? Obviously you guys do and I think that's just..... Lame....

In my opinion, the Hip Forums are great and it doesn't matter how they LOOK or FUNCTION. Just that they are here for us. Period.

And, it's common for the generation before, to be critical of the generation following. No, not all of our progressions have been for the better, but not all of yours were either. I agree, people need to live a more basic lifestyle and I myself am working towards that goal. However, I don't think that all of our progressions were for the worse.

And I still think that being stagnant, static and fearing change, is not a good thing to be...

And please, don't go into the whole "We lived through "X" so you don't have to". We've all lived through a lot. Every generation has had it's share of problems and crisis. And some people's lives have been harder than others. That is not the best argument you can make...

2. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, I certainly am glad you got us straight. Where would we be without you?

3. AutumnAuburn

I shudder to think.

4. teepi

teepi living my dream

Geez, I'm still here,just was giving my OPINION about the site.

As far as coming around as often,its not the look of the place as much it is the
    feeling of the "old hippies" forum not being the laid back accepting place that it once was.
    I notice that ALOT of the people that were here last year when I joined, aren't around nearly as much as they once were.
    Not as many OLD HIPPY"S.
    Felt I didn't have to explain myself as much, shared a good vibe.

I mean what I say about my appreciation of the site. Skip has always done a fine job.
    I don't "fear" change, just believe in "don't fix it if it ain't broken".
    I also believe you have to think your progression through, not usually done in my opinion.
    But I also thank you for straightening us out,I was totally lost......

5. AutumnAuburn

I can totally relate to that. In a forum environment, we need to be with those we connect with. You make friends, sometimes very close friends and when they leave, it's sad. I understand why you would not want to hang out there, as much. Imhip was talking about how he (or she, I don't know) didn't come here as much, because they didn't like the aesthetics of the environment. Then you followed up with an "I agree" and it made me wonder what you guys cared about.

But it WAS broken. The forum died. Upgrades NEEDED to be made. Skip needs the system to be efficient, so it will run more smoothly and be able to handle the extreme load that is put on it. I'm impressed that he was able to get it up and running in such a short amount of time. And truly, I'm glad to see that the money we send, is being used to make real changes and improvements.

Very true, very true...

And I apologize for offending you guys. Change is ineveitable, the only constant in life. And so many people fight it. Their lives are often not very happy, because they are unable to cope with the changes. And when I think of someone from your generation, a generation famous for changes, not going with the flow, it disappoints me. Yes, that's my own fault, for expecting you guys to be more fluid, I know. But still, it does. And when I think of the brave men and women who went before me and I use them as my inspiration, it saddens me to see you guys becoming rigid. I see you as the future of me, in a way. And I don't want to be so.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I really really DON'T like the idea of "Reputation Points." Are we back in High School? Is this the Football team and cheer squad?

I turned mine off.

The only good thing about it is that trolls could be given a bad rep, and that may help the Mods get rid of them, but aside from that, I don't like the idea of "OOOOO, I have a really good reputation, so I'm not gonna speak my mind and jeopardize it." VERY unhip.

7. teepi

teepi living my dream

Hey Autumn.........

New day and an attitude adjustment. I had a good nights sleep.
    I do agree with the looks of the place being "cooki cutter" but I also realize that
    Skip had to work with what is available to him and it seems alot of people like the new look and that is fine.
    I, probably because of SO much change in my life,like it when I get the chance to become familiar with a place, person or thing, and I don't have to worry about it changing or them leaving.
    The old forum was just so familiar to me, and I really do miss it.

I did agree with imhip as far as not coming around as much because of his opinion of the place, that is one reason I don't, there are not alot of posts yet by my old buddies and until there are I don't jump into alot of the threads,I skim over mostly then leave.

But after thinking about this last night and the fact that this place is important to me,I do apologize for that, I am going to try and make it a point to come around more, for you and for me,you're right about legacy.

The site was broke and for it to get put back up as quickly as it was is amazing,I feel Skip really cares about this site and all of us SO much,
    but I was talking about progression in general(i dont know why this is in italics all of a sudden my keyboard is possessed)
    There is so many things I've seen go to shit because someone "thought" they had a better idea, and really "broke" something when it was fine to begin with.
    Your right about going with the flow...but to a certain extent,most of us oldsters reached a certain point in our lives that maybe we had been striving for and are basking in it.
    I live on a gravel road out in the woods, there are now 9 houses on this road,
    when we first looked at this land there were 3, we've been here 2 and 1/2 years,we had to have electric lines run in (we are only part off grid)and we ran in telephone poles and line.
    We have no county water out here or sewage,and this suits us fine, we dug a shallow well for our wash and garden water and we go to the spring and haul in our drinking water,work? yes, but worth it. We built a compost toilet and I use that for my flower beds.
    My point in relaying this is...every couple of years the township board gets together and talks about where to run county water lines...and last year they talked for the first time about our road.
    I know everyone on this road and we're against it, the township knows this as we do vote BUT they also know if they do it they can collect more taxes from us and more people may move out here because then it would progress to the point of being appealing to people who want the conveinence of water and sewage.
    Now you may say I'm not being "progressive" and going with the "flow" Heck,thats what the town people say about us.
    But in our opinions...we're not broke..DON'T fix us.
    Thats the type of things that are important to me, and yes I found my niche and thats all I want or need and although I don't get involved with politics like I used to,I do care about the planet....just not as much of it as i used to,too many idiots out there and I'm done fighting with not much to back me up.

Wow this has turned into another rant..lol
    See what you people do to me???
    Politics..sheesh I HATE talking that...
    Shaking head
    mummbbling incoherantly.....

Thanks Autumn,for your concern and your fire,please do learn from us what you can,but realize alot of us just want to sit back and enjoy the rest of the ride....mellow yellow baby,
    teepi

8. teepi

teepi living my dream

MAGGGGIEEEEE....
    Hey Sugar, good to see you,hope all has been well,

Funny about that little green thing, I thought is was an emerald for me, or my own little light shining on because I have been known to lose my way......
    Thats probably what got me that unfavorable high school reputation in the first place...lol.

I guess I could turn it off.(if I knew how). I'll poke around and figure it out.

Anyway so good to see you again,
    teepi

9. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I've been playing around with some of the new features. (Many of them, we asked for on the old "Suggestions" forum. Did you know, we NOW have the ability to use Images as a LINK? (See my "An Experiment" thread in the "Computers & Internet" forum. Clicking, John Denver's guitar brings you to the Main forums index page) But! It could take you to any site on the web just as easily.

Bottom line, I'm getting comfortable with the new place. Skip was in a bit of a rush to get this place back up for us, as for the Colors and images used... Those are just cosmetic. They can be changed later when Skip has the time.

10. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I like some of the new features.I hate these dipshit colors.I also hate that reputation thing and disabled it.As for the old forums..............it was like my favorite comfort food.What is wrong with that?I've been here for over a year now,and never had more then maybe 650 posts.I say what I want,where I want,when I want.Many of us do this.I do not care what some think of that attitude.I am me.Makeing dispareging remarks to those who express their opinions does nothing but alienate ones self.To each his(hers)own.

11. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

:rolleyes:
    Because, Darrell... Just Because.... :rolleyes:

Sam

12. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

I really like it. Especially the new feature that emails you to let you know there's a new post. I don't miss anything now!