Preview of spring.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by gardener, Feb 6, 2009.

1. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

We just went through a brief spell of 70 degree weather for 2 weeks. Was sweet. Spent it doing some cleanup: pruning, brush burning, and weed cleanup. I am ready for when it really get's here. Planted my peas and cabbage.

Planning a much larger veggie garden this year. All projections are that food prices are going to skyrocket.

We are now experiencing some much need rain. Hopefully we won't have the wildfires like we did last year. Our skies were so cloudy with smoke most of the spring and summer, that some plants entered false dormancy. It will be interesting to watch how they perform this year.

I know you folks on the east coast are experiencing severe cold. Wish you could have been here.

2. Kizen

Kizen Member

good luck, growing vegetables is fun. The sun is shining today in Wales.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

calling for a warm up here,near 70 by the first of the week.actually that means low to mid 60's for us,but still will be nice as we didnt get above freezing the last couple days and had lows in the single digits..

have the kitchen table covered in seedlings for our cold crop plantings and plan on getting a couple more beds in with this nice weather coming..

still have plenty more off and on cold to come though. will plant cold crops second week of march and the real garden doesnt go in till may 1st.

spring fever is fighting cabin fever for the top spot around here for sure...

4. gardener

Around here we can start planting tomatos the first of March. We still have a chance of frost until April 15th, but that's really unusual. In fact a lot of the testosterone charged gardeners are already placing their tomatos with hot caps. But they'll probably have to replant them. But there are always a few that want the first tomato of the year award.

I like this time to plant my cool weather crops. They have to have a chance to fruit before our summer gets here and the triple digits set in.

The daffies are beautiful right now. I'll try to grab some pictures of them later today.

5. hippiehillbilly

we have two tomato plants that have grown all winter in the house under a grow light that we will use as mother plants. they are huge..

we will be some of the first around here to get maters as we will use the greenhouse as a nursery as soon as the weather moderates a bit. we have a woodstove in it but to keep it going all the time is just too labor intensive..

the temptation to start early always grabs us this time of year but experience tells us the temperature swings are just too severe till the second week of march to dare plant anything including cold crops outdoors.

we can expect at least two more cold spells with temps in the low teens to single digits between now and then.. thats just the way late winter is in the south.70's one week,30's the next..

6. depoisoned

depoisoned Member

I envy you guys, it was -3F here this morning.

HH, when you mean mother tomato plants, do you mean you take cuttings and root them? I've never tried it, but always wanted to because of space issues under my grow lights.

7. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Wow, planting peas already? Sounds lovely! March is our "blizzard season" so no such luck here. We're planning on starting a few seedlings indoors by the end of this month, but so far our garden is all "on paper."

Can't wait to see your daffodils! ANYTHING other than white sounds positively refreshing right now.
    love,
    mom

8. hippiehillbilly

yep cuttings just like any other plant.. we will plant seeds as well though..
    was really just happenstance that we grew these. last fall i was cleaning the bed of the trash truck out and they were growing back there so we brought them in an stuck them in dirt,now we figure we may as well put them to good use..

9. depoisoned

depoisoned Member

I think I'll plant a few seeds now and experiment with rooting them. It's a way to stay optomistic when there is 3 feet of snow over the garden....thanks for the idea.

10. gardener

Tomatos root easily from cuttings. Did it in the nursery all the time.

11. hippiehillbilly

was a wonderful day here yesterday,got into the low 60's,no wind and full sun..
    supposed to have 3 more days just like it in a row!! :)

spent a few hours yesterday putting in a large bed for the tobacco that we will grow this year. plan on getting at least one more bed in today.. i say beds because all our space left is very hilly and areas we are preparing basically have to be terraced off..

i love these early tastes of spring,really gets me motivated.. ill say one thing,im not used to being as sedentary as ive been this winter without a job,going to have to get back in shape between now and planting time.. im a bit sore this morning.lol

hope everyone else is enjoying this february thaw a much as i (if your having one) get out and enjoy the day.. i know i will.. :)

12. gardener

Enjoy Billy. Aint Mother Nature grand!

13. depoisoned

depoisoned Member

Nice, I did some digging too. The snow that had built up on the roof of the garage slide down when the temp hit 35 degrees and I dug it out of the driveeway.

14. gardener

Hey Depoisoned I hope you catch a break. It's fun but I think people like Billy and I know it's just a whisper of what's to come later. Doesn't make it any less sweet though.

15. depoisoned

depoisoned Member

LOL its ok Gardener, I live in the north and like it, I just get a lil jealous about this time of year. Every place has its good and bad points.

16. gardener

Well had a hard freeze here last night, glad I haven't jumped the gun.