Presidential Debate 2020 / effects

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by TrudginAcrossTheTundra, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My thought is that anyone who watched the debate already convinced that Mr Trump is savvy and making sound decisions while Mr Biden a bit weak and indecisive and easily distracted saw exactly that.

And that anyone who watched the debate already convinced that Mr Biden is a kinder, gentler loveable puppy of a man while Mr Trump is a ruthless bulldog, well, I'm thinking they saw exactly that, too.

Two different movies simultaneously on the same screen.

Feels to me like it didn't change anything. Was anybody's mind swayed?

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

What your reply tells me is just how far gone the Trump supporters have become – it really has become a cult - I mean we have this bloated third rate Mussolini and what they see is a savvy and sound decision making bulldog

I’ll repeat something I’ve posted before

I think that if you had shown the German people in 1932 what their country would be like in 1944 they would rightly have been horrified.

Even many that supported Hitler would have been horrified

But people can’t see into the future you can only take note of warning signs – and many, many people back in pre-Nazis Germany gave warnings about what Hitler and the Nazis were like (for example look up Hans Litten)

As I’ve said I don’t think Trump is Hitler or the Republicans Nazis but the American people can’t look into the future they can only look at the warning signs that are all around.

As someone said above -Trump is trafficking in fear, hatred, intimidation, and violence – those are warning signs.

Do Trump and the Republicans seem more interested in having power than they do about upholding political norms – well clearly from Merrick Garland, to voter suppression to using the supposedly apolitical for political gain then the answer is yes – that is a warning sign

Using the officers of state to reward their friends and go after their enemies – is a warning sign

Attacking the free media and calling them the enemies of the people and threatening them with consequences if they say things that are not liked by those in power – is a warning sign

I could go on but really that should be enough.

I hope that unlike the Germans back in the 1930’s the Americans in 2020 take heed of the warning signs and act accordingly

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

America is in pain. The presidential debate offered no help
    ~ Moira Donegan

Other thoughts include the way Biden smiled while Trump scowled.

Trump blustered and lied, Biden presented facts.

Trump even called the facts lies.

It was a terrible display of Trump's usual style, and how bullies rule and logic is useless.

I believe there should be no more of these shows, it doesn't help anyone decide who to choose as president. I think it's better to make a decision based on actual performance and the facts. Which indicate Trump is a bullying dictator who already plans to never leave and he is hell-bent on establishing the Trump dynasty as emperors.

We can't let that happen.

VOTE FOR BIDEN
    Your Life Depends On It

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Trump is a fucking moron....

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

From what I saw/ heard of the debate:-
    Trump was the Arrogant, Aggressive Architect of his Egocentric belief of being Right!
    Biden was the Advocate of Alternative without having the Bravado and dominance - and many will feel the choice is
    (I) A Strong but wrong Narcissist
    (ii) Nice but weak Champion of/for the States
    - and go for the former over the latter ...

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Just as here in the UK, it's all about the Power of the Polls.
    Over here there is a LOT of General apathy and people either do not bother, to vote, or think that by not conforming to 'the man' and choose, not to vote, that things will change - It will not
    My advice would always be to Vote with your Conscience - Your Future does depend on it

ZenKarma likes this.
  7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trump was his usual bullying, deceitful arrogant self. He did a disservice to the American voter by proving what an ass he is. Only a malignant narcissist would think a performance such as he put on would help voters understand what he stands for.

Item 1. Me: pre acid days: Anyone treated me like that in any situation---I'd slap him like the rude motherfucker he is.

Item 2. Post acid days: I hope that person can find some peace in his life.

Item 3: Maybe treating that person with love and kindness will help.

Now: See item one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

hahahahaha

9. scratcho

Savvy and making sound decisions? What in the hell were you watching? I was watching an adult trying to take part in a debate while an out of control monkey was flinging his shit !!

MeAgain, stormountainman and ZenKarma like this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Oh... Was VG there, I didn't see him.

11. scratcho

No, but his daddy was!!

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Th debate will not win Trump any new voters. The right wing fantasy is there is new people who are "fed up" with Democratic lies. It's very silly when you consider how much the Clintons were hated. He got 100% of the votes he could. There are some new teen voters who were freshman in 2016 but Gen Z is overwhelmingly liberal and it's likely more Trump voters have died since 2016 than turned 18.

The truth is the more Trump speaks the more there are Lincoln Project style Republicans who realize they made a mistake in 2016. They don't like Biden but he's not a fascist it's an easy choice.

stormountainman and ZenKarma like this.
  13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

So, nobody was swayed. Exactly what I figured. It seemed to me neither performed well in this exchange.

Trump was his belligerent self, interrupting, and speaking in ways only those who are accustomed to his chaotic conversation style could understand. He doesn't get that average people need a clearer presentation. He missed opportunities to set the record straight with clear language. I don't see how he could have endeared anyone who wasn't already familiar with his record.

Biden got flustered, angry, and insulting. He spoke mostly pandering and generic talk which didn't detail anything or endear anyone, probably not even those who feel threatened by Trump. He outright refused to answer at least three important questions and pivoted to the audience "it's about you, now go and vote". Lost opportunities to sway anyone, also.

It feels like we need to address the crucial question... Is this the best that America has to offer?

14. Tyrsonswood

This is real... Not a "meme"

Screenshot_2020-09-30 CPD CPD Statement.png

Might I suggest a muzzle and a straitjacket for Trump...

ZenKarma, hotwater, scratcho and 3 others like this.
  15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I was thinking throughout the debate - simply solo the mic of the designated speaker at time start. Solo the moderator's mic at the time limit. Problem solved!

ZenKarma and scratcho like this.
  16. sherman march

sherman march Members

Part of me feels like poetic justice for Trump would be to be reelected president but Democrats win a majority in the Senate so that Trump's second term he faces what Obama faced in his second term - a Congress completely controlled by the opposition party.

17. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Nobody was swayed that was never the intention of this particular charade, make no mistake it was a train wreck , Trump was himself and Biden stooped to his level with SHUTUP Man, what a joke

hotwater likes this.
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I think Biden should have told him to shut the f-ck up.

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Trump : "Joe , if you don't vote for me you ain't Black . Oh , ya , I see how you are ... ha ha ."

20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So much has been made of this comment but it's not hard to see why he made it. You really expect the party that welcomes the KKK and Nazis to get the black vote? They will ignore all the modern racism and police brutality and say "but the Democrats started the KKK 2 centuries ago and that is what matters". Keep in mind the same people who expect this also say black people should "live in the present and get over slavery". So which is it, do they live in the past or see modern racism?

No one is wearing a white hood for Biden or saying a blue life matters most. That's why despite that comment a vast majority of black Americans will vote for Biden.

There is also strong evidence that the black voters at Trump rallies are either paid or themselves the black equivalent of the KKK wanting a separate nation for their race. They like Trump because he is the white man who will give that to them. Both they and the KKK want a peaceful treaty that segregates. War only happens when the left wing makes them all get along. The same people who are obsessed over imaginary pedophilia don't want to accept this reality. Conspiracies are only fun when the Democrats are the bad guys.

White or black the racism is what sells to a Trump voter.

scratcho likes this.