Preserve Native Cultures and Languages?

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by ~Zen~, Aug 19, 2022.

?

THE QUESTION: Should greater efforts be made to preserve languages and cultures in danger of extinct

Poll closed Aug 26, 2022.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

THE QUESTION: Should greater efforts be made to preserve languages and cultures in danger of extinction?

Here is just one example:

The number of speakers of a Mayan language known as Mam declined by about 50% between 2005 and 2020, leading to fears that the language and culture could die out in southern Mexico.

The 2005 census counted over 19,000 speakers of Mam but the number had declined to just 9,800 by 2020.

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

This is very close to my heart. YES YES YES.
    We have a place near to where I live. I call it my little multicultural Britain.
    I actually did a survey there, to see if they passed on their own languages and beliefs, as I believe we should all cherish our past.

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

it is a difficult question, particularly for people who do not have English as their first language. If for example a person speaks Italian, they are going to need English in order to qualify as a doctor or an airline pilot. If they then need to add a third language while studying at medical school, it is going to be hard.
    Perhaps these languages should be something that people learn in later life, more for cultural and leisure reasons.
    My contribution is opera and classical music, rather than Welsh or Irish.

PS, Jane was not amused at my description of Irish, as spoken in Dublin
    Every noun must be preceded by an adjective and every adjective must have 'F' as it's first letter. When running out of nouns, adjectives can be used on their own.
    Watching the older generation guys rolling home from the pub and having an argument with a lamp post is the quickest way to learn, particularly when they meet a guy coming from the opposite direction and accuse each other of putting the lamp post there. :D:D:D

PPS. I remember the day on the west coast, when I was trying to explain the function of an oscillator in an RF circuit to a local. Later that day, he told Jane that I was talking to him about a man who eats Donkey's

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    DiagonalZone and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

I live in a city where the education system is corrupt and the English language is also corrupted.

DiagonalZone and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. Our government attempted to destroy Native American culture and tradition through education at forced boarding schools. Much damage and evil was done in the name of assimilation and Christianity.
    The U.S. history of Native American Boarding Schools — The Indigenous Foundation

Culture and language should always be preserved. It can be augmented with expanded education, other philosophies and modern knowledge, but not replaced.

6. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Australians and catholic church tried that too with the Aboriginees.

scratcho, etherea and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. Vladimir Illich

..... And the British Government have for the past 200 years + been trying to eliminate the Irish Culture, traditions and language

Todd56 and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. ~Zen~

A nasty legacy they have left behind in the wake of colonialism.

The world's many diverse cultures are a treasure. Learning a second or third language should be encouraged. It's not difficult if done at an early age.

Many places like the US have de-emphasized the importance of another language and lazily rest on the theory that English is the universal language...for now.

What will it be in 25 years time as fortunes change and powers shift again...

But back to the question at hand, I believe all the many cultures, languages and arts from around the world should be celebrated and shared as we can all grow wiser through that knowledge.

9. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

25 years from now the world will have been destroyed.

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is so funny to see the older generation on the Atlantic coast where they neither have running water, piped gas or mains electricity, along with having to go to the post office to make a phone call, now walking along the street chatting in Gaelic on their iphones.
    It happened when the EU made it compulsory for every household to have availability of a telephone and the providers installed mobile masts, rather than running miles of cable on poles that would blow down in the Atlantic gales.
    They have yet to solve the problems of the shop in a few remote villages on the coast, still receiving their stock in baskets strapped onto the sides of a donkey.
    However, they all have a designated flat area, for use by emergency services helicopters.

DiagonalZone, ~Zen~ and Bilby like this.
  11. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

I’ve always loved learning about other cultures, especially their story’s and legends . So cool, the world would lose allot if they disappear. Knowing your own culture and history makes you who you are, no matter where you live.

Candy Gal and ~Zen~ like this.
  12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

For me, it is important to retain both the historical language/s culture of those who went before us - and - for those who are in danger of losing their way/s of life.
    Often it is the 'way of the west', wi-fi connection over natures connection' 'profit over people' the modernisation that (literally) moves monuntains.
    Whilst it's true that in order to create, one has to destroy - one wonders what the real cost will be?
    Life has to progress in order to advance, though I feel, not at the expense of losing the memories, skils, experience of the past
    Once lost (save for a John Hammond intervention) - a lot of things cannot be 're-remembered' and why it is so important to hang onto/retain the most importance of memories - and heritage

13. DiagonalZone

DiagonalZone Member

I’m absolutely for it. There should be so much more money going towards and life being about preserving cultures and languages and growing the communication capabilities of humanity. I dont think defense contractors and those who give them massive funds see that their way of life is like suicide compared to enriching lives and supporting cultures health

14. ~Zen~

Here are some good reasons to preserve a native culture:

300367799_10158904720221451_4838291246623803145_n.jpg

300396809_10158904720271451_4548609143131077316_n.jpg

300643860_10158904720356451_62734755260133915_n.jpg

300733660_10158904720156451_1464291173018835850_n.jpg

Because it's FUN!

All of these images are from the nearby "magical" village of Todos Santos.

Todd56 and Candy Gal like this.
  15. ~Zen~

Well said... It was sad seeing the culture of the West Indians disappear under the onslaught of tourism in the waves of cruise ships plying the island chain from Venezuela all up and through the Bahamas.

Living on St Thomas as a kid it was always great fun to explore the old ruins and find petroglyphs in unexpected places.

16. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Why Gaelic Isn’t Irish
    This is where things get a little complicated: specifically, Gaelic is an adjective that describes the people and culture of Ireland. The Irish language is sometimes referred to as “Gaeilge” (pronounced Gwal-gah), but it is not Gaelic; Gaelige is the name of the Irish language in Irish.

Like its Gaelic cousin, both are Indo-European languages, but Irish is actually a language unto its own. The term “Gaelic”, as a language, applies only to the language of Scotland. If you’re not in Ireland, it is permissible to refer to the language as Irish Gaelic to differentiate it from Scottish Gaelic, but when you’re in the Emerald Isle, simply refer to the language as either Irish or its native name, Gaeilge.

Experiencing the Language
    In any country, depending on where you are, you’ll hear the same word pronounced differently. There are three predominately Irish-speaking areas within Ireland called Gaeltachts (pronounced Gwal-tachts), where Irish is used on a daily basis as a primary language, each with a different dialect. You’ll find them located along the Atlantic coast of Ireland:

• Ulster Dialect—Spoken in the northwest corner of the country, concentrated near Donegal
    • Connacht Dialect—Spoken in the west of the country; the two most prominent areas are Connemara and Mayo
    • Munster Dialect—Spoken in the southwest of Ireland

Endangered Status and Support in the EU
    Under UNESCO, the language qualifies as being “definitely endangered” because it is being used as a primary language by 44,000 or fewer people in the country and children are not learning it as a primary language in the home. Since 2007, Irish has been one of the 24 official languages of the European Union, but the institutions of the EU do not have any duty to translate or interpret the language unless mandated by the European Council and the European Parliament.

This decision, along with the delays in providing translation and interpretation support, drew the ire of Irish MEP, Liadh Ní Riada. In 2015, the lawmaker staged what has been referred to as a “language strike,” speaking only Irish during official proceedings and has stated that she is willing to do it again if the EU does not fulfill its support of the Irish language as the body does with the other official languages. It is expected Irish will have full support in translation and interpretation within the EU by the year 2022.

The Future of Irish
    In spite of the lack of support within the European Union and in Ireland, the Irish language is seeing a resurgence in learning in the digital age. The mobile language learning application Duolingo was recently heralded by Irish President Michael Higgins as “an act of both national and global citizenship.” Using technology to bring an endangered language to the world isn’t exactly a new feat, but it certainly provides an avenue of support to endangered and extinct languages and allows an opportunity for global support of the language to thrive.

17. Vladimir Illich

18. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

19. goldendragon

goldendragon Members

There is a island near india were its illegal to go as they are trying to protect the almost stone age like people living there in the jungles. Sadly as humans are building closer and closer to them these native people are making their way to the villages and taking food and learning how to wear clothes so steal them and are beginning to trade with irresponsible people. Only 20-30 years back the tribes were still so isolated that they would kill normal civalized humans if seen, as they would think they are evil spirits or ghosts. Sadly even these people are beginning to lose their culture and way of life. Many are walking around with normal clothing now.

20. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

My Mother's people, the Purepecha ( Tarascans), are having success in bringing back their language, my Father's peoples, the Numunu ( Comanches ) , not so much, it's dying .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    Spectacles likes this.