prejudice towards straight and bi people in the gay forums

Discussion in 'Gay Polls' started by Samhain, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When a person is homophobic, often what they attempt to do is tell gay people they are wrong about their sexuality and convince them that they are really straight, by making comments like 'well at least try and sleep with a women, you won't know until you do' or 'theres no such thing as being a gay female, its just to turn men on'
    People who make these comments often have a complete lack of understanding about why its so offensive, they often feel that because they are not threatening people their comments are acceptable, without insight at all that what they are actually doing, is trying to force others to live their lives in the way they do.

this being said I notice comments on here like
    *'straight men turn gay when they're drunk, try sucking them off' (would the majority of gay men here like a women to get them drunk and try that on them?)
    *Bi people are repressed gay men, why when its so easy to come out these days?
    *everyones a bit gay really.

the gay forums are a protected community, its a place where we can post and just be ourselves with little or no fear of us being judged for being attracted to the same sex, but do we deserve this community?
    Are we as gay men and women starting to become just as bad as the people that have hurt us for our sexuality?
    S

2. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I think it depends really. You get "heterophobic" gay people as well as one's who are not like that. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but I do think we need places to talk and I do not think that as a whole "we" are becoming as bad as homophobes. Like I said, everyone is different. You can't really generalise saying that the gay community is becoming more hateful.

3. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Sam, you good points. I have heard most, if not. all of those things and some personally.

This is the one I've heard personally *Bi people are repressed gay men, why when its so easy to come out these days?

Of course MEN was replaced by woman but you get the point... it kinda sucks. I don't know why some people, straight, bi, whatever, can't just accept other people's sexually and feel the need to change it or evaluate it. Good thread.

4. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Sam, I'm not going to vote, because I don't read enough threads here to have any opinion. I might see some thread while looking at the active threads that interests me, only because I have some interest in the subject. I've read so much on it, because of my friend and my experiences. That being said, I've never felt slighted here.

I do think that some converts to any different way of life than the "standard norm" (whatever that is - hahhaha), do become a bit extreme. It's understandable. I find that vegans, for example, are some of the worst. (I'm not trying to bash vegans here, they are just so dang commited to their cause sometimes!). The extreme moral Christian right would be another example. Anyone, really, that trys to push their way of life on others believing we should all live their way. Let's celebrate and encourage diversity!

5. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I didn't even notice the poll. *looks* Okay is the gay forum prejudiced towards..

Honestly there are always prejudiced people, gay, straight, bi, black, white, mexican, know what I mean? I try to ignore ignorance OR if I have the patience.. educate.. but I admit, I don't often have the time.

I think tolerance is key though and all the good people who do that show a good example for the right direction. :)

and one more thing now that i thought abotu this more, there have been a person or two here that i felt judged me for being bi but no more then real life. there seems to always be people who will say "why dont you just come out already totally?" or "why pretend" two diff. extremes.. here is actually not that bad to then some other places.

love :)

6. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

tarebelle, as much as i try to stay outta that and think after what i say it should quiet down.. i have felt the same thing from my mom (hardcore christian) and harcore vegans.. when when i tried to go veggie i was treated like a murderer. but anyways. there are people that get so impassionated that they forget.... they are talking to people they could reach in much better ways...

7. LJDV

LJDV Member

I wonder if this is a result of the thread that I posted earlier. I do enjoy stirring things up. =) However on a more serious note, when I think of prejudice, it comes with a negative connotation (as it should). I think that people on the forum are being more playful than truly prejudice. However I do understand why you would feel this way. There are some stereotypical and hypocritical things said on here.

8. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

it's a very sensitive topic, something that people can get really prickly about when they feel they're being needled or even outright attacked. being teased about something so inherent to who they are, when it's already a topic they get anough shit about, can hurt very easily. and people always seem to know the easiest buttons to push, for whatever perverse pleasure it brings them. i needle teenagers on occaision. not my finest moments, but there is that.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

"this being said I notice comments on here like
    *'straight men turn gay when they're drunk, try sucking them off' (would the majority of gay men here like a women to get them drunk and try that on them?)
    *Bi people are repressed gay men, why when its so easy to come out these days?
    *everyones a bit gay really."

bullet 1 - that's just FUCKed up =P
    bullet 2 - straight out disrespectful, what if someone said all gays are repressed bis?
    bullet 3 - I think I would have to agree with partially.

10. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

well, in defense of those who feel some of the hate, it's been so wonderful finding a place where they can be themselves. i'm not saying it's right-minded. i'm just saying that i understand the mentality. someone finds a place where THEY are right, it's so perfect, anything else has to be wrong. still, thinking like that leads to nazi-like mentality. (nazi being the default negative)

11. Naoki_ninja

Naoki_ninja Bruce Lee's hero

sad people make people sad.